anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New user problems?  (Read 11421 times)

dchainey

New user problems?
« on: March 21, 2008, 04:31:51 AM »
I took the unit down to LAX today, and it was a mess. It's the first time I've used it without a network connection The program stopped responding after a few seconds, always at 3 seconds to network update. This happened about 20 times before I gave up. Am I doing something wrong? Why can't you turn the network lookup function off completely?
Tonight I've installed 1.5. Does that fix any of the above problems?

Also I can't get any changes I make to the program to stick. Is this deliberate. For instance it always starts with the world map and not my local map. Other preferences I apply (no network share, no photos etc) also don't stick.

Dave Chainey

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: New user problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 04:33:43 AM »
Those are easy to answer. Expect our support to read it and they will help you quite fast. Have you emailed them already?

dchainey

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 04:37:36 AM »
No, I didn't e-mail them. I'm a member of a lot of forums and generally I like to try them first.

Dave Chainey

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 05:06:43 AM »
That is Ok if you prefer. Anyway we have an average 7 hour time to reply to all support emails so it is usually fast to get an answer form there.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:42:47 AM »
I took the unit down to LAX today, and it was a mess. It's the first time I've used it without a network connection The program stopped responding after a few seconds, always at 3 seconds to network update. This happened about 20 times before I gave up. Am I doing something wrong? Why can't you turn the network lookup function off completely?

Also I can't get any changes I make to the program to stick. Is this deliberate. For instance it always starts with the world map and not my local map. Other preferences I apply (no network share, no photos etc) also don't stick.

Dave Chainey

Dave,

I use the laptop all the time at work without an Internet connection.  You didn't say what version of RadarBox you were using at LAX, but the earlier version did have an issue when there was no network connection.  You say that RB stopped working at 3 seconds to update - it's easy to turn off Network access.  Later versions worked fine without Internet, but menu selection were slightly slow with  "Share Flight Data" selected.  V1.5 is very good, although I still tend to switch off share data when I don't have an Internet connection, so you shouldn't have any problems with this version.

So, this is what you do if you want to turn off all network access:

1. Run RadarBox

2. Got to File | Preferences | RadarBox

3. Untick "Share Flight Data" - this stops RB trying to upload your data (default setting on startup is "Share"

3. Select the Network tab to see the Network aircraft list (empty without an Internet) connection

4. Untick "Get Flights From RadarBox Network" - this might already be unticked as it is remembered from your last selection.

As I said, with V1.5 you should have no problems anyway, but try this and see how you get on.

As for the map, have you saved your preferred map as the default map?

Map | Open/Save | Save Map - "Do you want to overwrite your default map?"

All the best

Allocator
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:46:25 AM by Allocator »

pcochrane12

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:18:59 AM »
hi allocator
ive uploaded v5 and still get freezing issues when my internet drops out as im on a wireless router and live at the end of the line approx 10 miles from nearest exchange this is a very common event so i usually have to opt out of sharing to network had hoped v5 would solve this but it hasnt for me
cheers paul

Allocator

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 09:43:36 AM »
Paul,

I can switch my router off to cut the Internet and V1.5 doesn't even blink!  There must be something else causing your freeze problem.

When running RadarBox, if you go to Help | About - what software version and date do you see?

pcochrane12

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »
hi allocator
running anrb15
software version date2008/03/19 03;55
firmware version 1.01.2

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 09:58:41 AM »
That looks OK, you've got the latest version and you are running V1.5.

Hmmmm....  I think that you need to contact Support direct so that they can sort you out.

[email protected]

pcochrane12

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 10:03:37 AM »
ye will let them no
its not to much of a prob to me when i,m in as i can monitor my hub and see when im losing the network it only if i leave the rb running when im at work that it causes problems
cheers paul

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »
dchainey,

Best to upgrade to 1.5 and the issues should go away. As Allocator has described you can save your current map as default and that should start up like that from then on.

pcochrane12,

We did test taking out net connection while RB was running and had no issues. Do you have any other software running at the same time which needs the internet which might be complaining when it drops causing everything else to lockup?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

pcochrane12

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 12:41:19 PM »
nothing running on this pc except rb no other programs on norton turned off firewall off only rb has access

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 12:42:17 PM »
Thats weird, you weren't by chance using a recorder function as well?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

pcochrane12

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 12:50:11 PM »
no nothing the only thing that may differ with other peoples connection prob is my fault is loss of signal due to the distance from the exchange it cuts in and out every few seconds if its windy.today i have very intermittant connection and have had to reboot the server twice to get this message to you

dchainey

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 04:46:06 PM »

Dave Chainey

Dave,

I use the laptop all the time at work without an Internet connection.  You didn't say what version of RadarBox you were using at LAX, but the earlier version did have an issue when there was no network connection.  You say that RB stopped working at 3 seconds to update - it's easy to turn off Network access.  Later versions worked fine without Internet, but menu selection were slightly slow with  "Share Flight Data" selected.  V1.5 is very good, although I still tend to switch off share data when I don't have an Internet connection, so you shouldn't have any problems with this version.

So, this is what you do if you want to turn off all network access:

1. Run RadarBox

2. Got to File | Preferences | RadarBox

3. Untick "Share Flight Data" - this stops RB trying to upload your data (default setting on startup is "Share"

3. Select the Network tab to see the Network aircraft list (empty without an Internet) connection

4. Untick "Get Flights From RadarBox Network" - this might already be unticked as it is remembered from your last selection.

As I said, with V1.5 you should have no problems anyway, but try this and see how you get on.

As for the map, have you saved your preferred map as the default map?

Map | Open/Save | Save Map - "Do you want to overwrite your default map?"

All the best

Allocator

I had version 1.4 installed. I've now put on 1.5, and things seem a lot more stable. I'm still having problems with the map, however. I've never seen the "Do you want to overwrite your default map" question. If I save a map, it just saves it.
Also it would be very nice if things like

"Share Flight Data"
"Show Photo Details"

stuck. Mine don't - should they?