anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARB in South Africa  (Read 9049 times)

Spaice

ARB in South Africa
« on: March 20, 2008, 06:55:56 PM »
Has anybody else noticed that there is an active ARB in South Africa.  Have been monitoring SAA flights and was pleasantly suprised that I got alerts for aircraft departing and arriving at Jo-burg.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: ARB in South Africa
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:29:21 PM »
Outside Europe and the USA/Canada we have users in:
Brazil (all over the country), Uruguay, Argentina
South Africa
Dubai, Kuwait, Taiwan, HK, Japan
Australia
Canary Islands, Azores, Madeira

As sales increased a lot since V1.4 we are daily getting orders from non-common places such as India, China, Angola and the Caribbean. So in 1 year we will have a huge network all over the world.

marcdeklerk

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:00:19 AM »
yip, I am in South Africa, mainly use the RB when not connected to internet.. due internet cost downhere, but I will try to be online fulltime in the near future!

abaubert

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 05:55:11 PM »
Hello All,
Is Angola now On ?
I can't see anything
Thanks

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 06:00:30 PM »
Hi Abaubert

I've never seen any returns from Angola, I'm afraid.

Rod
Rod

abaubert

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 07:17:41 PM »
Hello Rod,
Maybe you can shed some light as I am fairly new here
is the ARB the only way today to track flight in Africa ?
I am piloting AirNav and can see a series of VOR, NDB, ACARS stations on the map in the south of Africa (Namibia, Luanda, etc....). Are they not all feeding the system somehow or am I missing anything? Is there any restrictions (Local gouvernment,...) or is this my version or AirNav ?
Much appreciated in advance
Rgds
Alexandre

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 07:32:08 PM »
Hi Alexandre,

The VORs etc.. do not feed anything. There isn't full Radar coverage in those areas in Africa either and getting data from each country and getting licenses would be complicated.

RadarBox provides a much cheaper alternative, by having RadarBox stations in each country you could use the network to get a picture of the aircraft being picked up.

Anyway I won't go on here as I see you have already emailed us and you have asked similar question on the screenshot forum.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

typist

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 02:37:11 PM »
by having RadarBox stations in each country you could use the network to get a picture of the aircraft being picked up.

I have been thinking about buying a radarbox for use in Nairobi, Kenya. Since I see close to no activity on the entire African continent, I was wondering to what degree ADS-B is used here. I did a quick internet search, and discovered plans to set up (gov't/ATC use) ADS-B ground stations in some countries, however no clear implementation timeline. Still, I would assume that most widebody scheduled airliners on intercontinental flights to/from Africa are equipped with ADS-B. Are these transmitting continuously, even in areas where ADS-B is not a requirement, and where there are no ground stations? Or do the transponders need to be actively interrogated by other stations to transmit? In essence - are there any ADS-B signals over Nairobi?

I'd appreciate if someone could shed some light on this.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 02:59:44 PM »
It would be great to have Nairobi on our network. Ate least you would track all international flights there. I0m sure Kenya Airways new aircraft all have ADS-B including the 737NG. Can anyone confirm this?

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 04:11:38 PM »
It would be great to have Nairobi on our network. Ate least you would track all international flights there. I0m sure Kenya Airways new aircraft all have ADS-B including the 737NG. Can anyone confirm this?

The B737s don't appear to have ADS-B;  the B738s do;  the B763s didn't at first but do now;  the B772s do now though some didn't initially.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
We do infact have a customer in Kenya who has a RadarBox at an airport but he is not connected to the network.

He has picked up aircraft, I might be able to search support queries and get him to come on to the forum.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 05:22:56 PM »
So almost all of their fleet have ADS-B. Nairobi, when will you be online?

typist

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Nairobi, when will you be online?

Good question. Most likely I'll give radarbox a try. Support on this forum is very impressive.

Then again, for a permanent installation with decent coverage, I'd probably need an antenna tower, with a solid concrete foundation, guy cables, and the works... It's not impossible, several neighbours here, including the UN compound and the US embassy, have 150ft antenna towers with impressive arrays of antennas, but their communications budgets may be slightly bigger than mine. I wish I could simply use their towers, tap into their power supply, mount my equipment, and relay data using wifi - I can see the towers from my office window; but I assume they are not too eager to share their resources. Speaking of budgets, I'm already paying 500$ a month for a meagre 35 kByte/s satellite link - bandwidth only, not including infrastructure (Compared to VSAT infrastructure, radarbox seems almost inexpensive). Anyway, my point is, even if I get to play with a radarbox, it's unlikely I will use precious satellite bandwith to make data available 24/7 for the network. Some time next year (or later...) the submarine fibre connection to East Africa will supposedly be operational, which could reduce bandwidth cost, but don't hold your breath...

Again, thanks for your quick and detailed answers.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 09:17:23 PM by typist »

abaubert

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 03:29:22 PM »
Hello All,

I have a Radarbox in Angola (luanda) now. I can't see a lot but I guess I need to install antenna in a better location

My goal is to cpature smaller aircraft, such as Charter planes, Embraer 120 etc... doing lots of rotations  here and there.

Felt I would just let everyone know. If any advise on how to best run the RadarBox, let me know
Thanks

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 04:06:02 PM »
You might have trouble with Embraer, they don't seem to use mode-s, at least they don't appear with locations just on the aircraft list.