anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Access to Members List blocked?  (Read 4429 times)

Bethsalem

Access to Members List blocked?
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:37:33 PM »
I've been trying to access the Members List only to be told that I, "You are not allowed to access this section".

Is this "You" me specifically, or "You" in general?

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Access to Members List blocked?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »
It's everybody - not just you. There was a lot of discussion some time ago about not allowing forum members to view other users' profiles - there were problems with spammers accessing email addresses, as I recall.

Personally, I hope the policy changes, but that's how it is for now.

Rod
Rod

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:13:40 PM »
AirNav, it may be worth giving it another go in a couple of months when our friends have gone, if you get my drift, if not I'll expand slightly, although things may get worse as they'll have to find themselves another playground!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Bethsalem

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:34:09 PM »
I'm sure if there was any concrete evidence that another forum was either harvesting members details or spamming then AirNav management would have done something about it now?

At least the other forum allows you to view members details, and this doesn't seem to have resulted in any major reported issues which have caused problems there.

Perhaps AirNav can now feel confident enough in its forum members to allow access to this feature again?

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 07:01:13 AM »
I'm sure if there was any concrete evidence that another forum was either harvesting members details or spamming then AirNav management would have done something about it now?

I remember when I joined the Airnav forums, I was sent an email asking me to join the other forum, by one of the admins over there.

The only way they would have got my email address would have been from my profile here.

No doubt this is why the feature is no longer available here, despite the "spin" that they will tell you about spambots etc, and no doubt this will be quoted in big lights shortly over there.

Chris11

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:49:39 AM »
Unfortunately the "other forum" is so biased and anti ANRB I doubt any of the users here would want to join. Oops - that is a generalisation. Unfortunately some posters on the other forum are so anti ANRB that they spoil the forum.

Bethsalem

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 02:28:25 PM »

I remember when I joined the Airnav forums, I was sent an email asking me to join the other forum, by one of the admins over there.

The only way they would have got my email address would have been from my profile here.

No doubt this is why the feature is no longer available here, despite the "spin" that they will tell you about spambots etc, and no doubt this will be quoted in big lights shortly over there.

pjm, care to share who the admin member from the other forum was?

Tramline

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:36:28 PM »
Unfortunately the "other forum" is so biased and anti ANRB I doubt any of the users here would want to join. Oops - that is a generalisation. Unfortunately some posters on the other forum are so anti ANRB that they spoil the forum.

I think that is a little unfair Chris.  The banned members appeared to have genuine issues and raised them but found themselves frustrated by AirNav's responses and when they retorted found themselves banned.  For the most part these members actually offered a lot of help and insight to other Forum members especially Dave Reid before they got the royal order of the boot.  However, Pat The Poodle could post all sorts of appalling comments against some fellow Forum members IMO remain within the forum.   So many good and informative posters have disappeared from the Forum - shame.
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
We won't get dragged into this but just state each member is given warnings if they break forum rules or start to promote there own agenda or product on the fourm. We do give members who are warned chances and understand some people don't always read the rules or forget them.

Just like society you will always get a few people who will want to cause trouble. Regarding the member you mentioned in your post, he was asked to explain a post which was perceived as a security risk but he never did which left us no choice.

Back to the thread subject, we will be looking at the email policy on the forum again later this year.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 08:18:28 AM »
Regarding the member you mentioned in your post, he was asked to explain a post which was perceived as a security risk but he never did which left us no choice.

I never understood why he was so evasive about answering the questions about how he could:
1. Take a "quick look at my network log for yesterday"
2. "Capture several thousand takeoffs and landings from the network"
3. Refer to his "network capture log"

All he would say is that "My usage of RB and the network does not involve any functionality other than that provided by the software to any user of the system."  Yet nobody can understand how he managed to create a network capture log.  All he needed to do was answer that simple question to refute Airnav's allegation of "hacking".

Back on topic.  I would like to see the ability to view all the posts of a user reinstated.  It often helps to be able to answer a query if you can view previous posts by that user.

Being able to look at a users profile is less important to me.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:59:38 PM by tarbat »

Bethsalem

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »
From Tarbat, "Back on topic.  I would like to see the ability to view all the posts of a user reinstated.  It often helps to be able to answer a query if you can view previous posts by that user.

Being able to look at a users profile is less important to me."

This is exactly what I had in mind when I started this topic. If you hit problems, say for instance, with reinstalling the software, then rather than asking a question that's been asked and answered fully before, you can just find it from the users that you know are technically very proficient at helping with these sorts of issues.