anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox Network Coverage Maps Improved  (Read 14221 times)

Rotorsport

Re: RadarBox Network Coverage Maps Improved
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 07:16:21 PM »
Your IP address cannot always be used to determine your location. In most cases it will show your ISP's location.

54901 - Jim

• N9JHB.com
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »
My ISP is in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The closest location in the drop-down choices is Milwaukee, Wisconsin ... neither location shows up on the map.
KOSH - Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »
Hi Tarbat, I assume when you say "set in the software", you mean entered into Preferences?   If so, then Town, Country isn't a very exact way of doing it, for me on "Auto Detect my Location", it came up with Long Sutton, wherever that is.   Prior to the next box it says "Or enter your Latitude/Longitude directly in the boxes below", which would indicate, that Lat/Long is a direct alternative to the Town, Country entry, but it would appear not from what's been said.   My full details including Postcode are entered correctly - makes this feature even less impressive, or perhaps it's another glitch for AN to add to the corrections awaited list, and yes, I know it's far from a priority, but a gimmick whick doesn't work is far worse than no gimmick at all......................?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
The technicals of what is happening is explained in this thread regarding how google looks-up addresses and how it has a limit.

More importantly the map was made simply to give an indication of what the estimated coverage would be like on the network. We have never stated its accurate, it is just an indication.

Since the map was first brought out users have complained where is my location etc.. and as it states on the map page its just as an indication. Its not meant to be accurate for privacy reasons and its just an indication. We hope that explains things and puts a end to customers wanting to know why there location isn't where it should be.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 08:49:10 PM »
The technicals of what is happening is explained in this thread regarding how google looks-up addresses and how it has a limit.

More importantly the map was made simply to give an indication of what the estimated coverage would be like on the network. We have never stated its accurate, it is just an indication.

Since the map was first brought out users have complained where is my location etc.. and as it states on the map page its just as an indication. Its not meant to be accurate for privacy reasons and its just an indication. We hope that explains things and puts a end to customers wanting to know why there location isn't where it should be.

In that case AN, eye candy and very pretty but totally pointless.   Thanks for the explanation though, but if a member is prepared to ascertain his/her Lat/Long and then enter the info. in the first place, I would assume they are happy for it to be published, and this brings us back to having a tick box to agree to location being published (and default sharing, which I do, but you don't want that can of worms re-opened yet again!!).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:55:20 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 09:18:44 PM »
We agree regarding having a tick box to share your location, that is something that will be in future versions.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

neroon79

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 03:02:38 AM »
We agree regarding having a tick box to share your location, that is something that will be in future versions.
Nice to hear, but in this case I would prefer, that the displayed position is generated by using the degrees plus the first number behind the decimal point. Or even better: Insert second fields for geo-coordinates named "Location to Share". In this way every user is able to determinate how accurate the position shown on the map would be for his box/station.

Speaking for myself: I would have a problem to see my location generated by the ##.####N by ##.####E coordinates, which are accurate to a few meters. But I wouldn't have any problems with sharing my position with an accuracy of ##.#(#)N by ##.#(#)E, which would place my "real" location in a circle with a diameter of approximately 5NM(1-2NM).
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3