anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox Network Coverage Maps Improved  (Read 14178 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: RadarBox Network Coverage Maps Improved
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 11:43:46 AM »
Do you think this related to the Google Earth timeouts you mention or some error in conversion of my home town to a Lat/Long within Airnav ?

Most likely it's the timeout problem.  If Airnav could fix the Google Map timeout problem, then the network map would be a LOT more reliable/useful.

chewycanes

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 11:46:50 AM »
Thanks Tarbat

Will now give up looking at it for another year lol.

Brian

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 11:48:56 AM »
The timeout is Google side. You can't fire them a lot (more than 50 in a certain time) of lookup requests without paying and expecting it to take time. However if anyone has any other ideas we would be happy to listen and try them?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »
The timeout is Google side. You can't fire them a lot (more than 50 in a certain time) of lookup requests without paying and expecting it to take time. However if anyone has any other ideas we would be happy to listen and try them?

If you have the resource to look at this, then maybe consider using BING geocoding.  They don't appear to have the same limitations as Google impose, with limits of 200,000 location entities per job.

You would need to periodically (say every hour) create a geocode job to upload the CITY/COUNTRY data to BING geocoding, wait for it to complete, and then use the geocoded coordinates to create a map on your web page.

More info. at http://www.bing.com/community/site_blogs/b/maps/archive/2010/08/31/batch-geocoding-and-batch-reverse-geocoding-with-bing-maps.aspx
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:14:49 PM by tarbat »

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
The problem now is according to Google earth the Lat/Long it shows now puts me in Essex and not East Sussex.
Make sure you have the Lat & Long in the correct format, Degrees/Minutes/Seconds instead of digital degrees or which ever way it should be. ;-)

chewycanes

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 12:54:06 PM »
Hi Budgie
I did check that thanks.
Brian

neroon79

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »
Remember, you can always check if your location is being detected by doing a "View Source" on the web page.
Which website ? How is the procedure "View Source" performed? Sorry for being such straight, but giving hints in that way is in my humble opinion absolutely useless.
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

chewycanes

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 01:57:53 PM »
Hi Neroon79

It took me a few minutes to work it out.

Basically you right click on the page being displayed and you get an option 'View page Source'.

So if you do this with the 'Network coverage map' displayed you with see some source code and if you scroll down it then list RB users by City and Lat/Long.

Hope that helps

Brian

neroon79

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 03:15:51 PM »
Hi Neroon79

Basically you right click on the page being displayed and you get an option 'View page Source'.

So if you do this with the 'Network coverage map' displayed you with see some source code and if you scroll down it then list RB users by City and Lat/Long.

Hope that helps

Brian
This helps a lot. By the way: German version of Firefox: 'View page Source' equates 'Seitenquelltext anzeigen'

Never the less: I have found my Box in the list, but the stated location is 115.05NM with a bearing of 252.71° away from my real location. Why not using the Geo-Coordinates entered in Preferences? To avoid privacy issues round up or round down after first number behind the '.'. This shall move the displayed Position inside a radius of 5NM to 10NM. In my opinion this should be inaccurate enough for any kinds of privacy concerns.
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 10:40:49 PM »
Hi Neroon79

Hope that helps

Brian

Hi Brian, yes, many thanks for this, a heck of a lot more use than the map provided by AN.  My location is fully detailed in preferences, I share to the network, but no bubble west of Launceston - I'm even more convinced this is a waste of time.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

eyeinthesky

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
I agree a wast of time, get a system that works, i think tarbat is the only one making sense at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:01:00 AM by eyeinthesky »
Using the Canon 10x30 IS Binoculars with Image Stabilisation, Brilliant job on a clear day.

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 09:21:38 AM »
CoastGuardJon, have you got electricity that far into Cornwall?  ;-)
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 11:18:32 AM »
Hi Dave, I have to borrow the battery off the car and keep it charged with a Trevor Baylis clockwork generator!!!   Had one heck of a thunderstorm yesterday lunchtime, shame you can't bottle some of that power.......
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Chris11

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
Where does the info come for the map - I have my lat and long set as my location but the location shown on the maps is about a degree North in the middle of nowhere (ie cannot be based on the IP)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »
Where does the info come for the map - I have my lat and long set as my location but the location shown on the maps is about a degree North in the middle of nowhere (ie cannot be based on the IP)

What you enter as your LAT/LONG has NO effect on the network map - that info. is NOT used.

It tells you at the bottom of the map:
"Red Positions are extracted from the users location (Town, Country) set in the software.  Blue Positions are extracted from the user IP address."

So, was yours a RED or BLUE pin?