AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox Network Coverage Maps Improved  (Read 14222 times)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
RadarBox Network Coverage Maps Improved
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:42:01 PM »
We've just improved the way we detect users locations by releasing a new professional location database which is much more accurate than the previous one we were using. We do hope to show in a more accurate way each RadarBox location by using this new database.

Please check for details at:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network.php

neroon79

Re: RadarBox Network Coverage Maps Improved
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 03:00:00 AM »
Well, my Box is running and detecting approximately 10 "new" airframes in range per quarter hour. But is it on the map? Any guesses? Is this the new accuracy you had in mind? I can't detect any difference between now and then. I hope that the Bug-Fixes in the next RB Software release are working better... ;-)
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

Netcop

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 05:04:06 AM »
The same story with some Russian users. At least three more stations works now (two - in Moscow, including my Radarbox, and one - in Saint Petersburg). But I don't see these stations on your map.
Greetings from Russia, Moscow
20.54 nm NWN of UUDD

SW: ANRB v 3.13/ANRB v 4.03 3D, XP SP3
HW: SkyCentre Quad Core PC for 24/7 operation
Antenna: outside SSE 1090SJ mk2
Amp: Wimo AS-1090
Cable: Draka NK Cables RFF 1/2'-50
RadarBox24 station: Netcop

chewycanes

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 07:35:04 AM »
Hi Airnav

Not that it worries me but i don,t see any improvement as no RB is shown in my location.
I would be happier seeing a new release of RB software than these type of cosmetic updates.

Thanks
Brian

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
Before we get the usual complaints saying resources should be used towards RadarBox software updates. We have a dedicated team which are working on that, we do have resources as well which look after the forum/website/AirNav live etc..

The update is using an improved system to lookup IP addresses and locations given from the RadarBox software (not GPS location due to privacy) and is showing better lookups than before.

If your location doesn't appear we suggest you check what your entering in your location box (some people enter details such as My Home, My Country and then wonder why it doesn't appear) or check what your IP resolves to by going to site such as http://www.tracemyip.org/ and checking what location it indicates.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 07:56:37 AM »
Remember, you can always check if your location is being detected by doing a "View Source" on the web page.

Well, my Box is running and detecting approximately 10 "new" airframes in range per quarter hour. But is it on the map? Any guesses?

So, for Germany we currently see:
geoStuff('Hamburg','Germany',54.1198,10.1296);
geoStuff('Bautzen','Germany',51.1614,14.3124);
geoStuff('Cologne','Germany',50.6259,7.1256);
geoStuff('Burgstädt','Germany',49.8195,12.7446);
geoStuff('Cologne','Germany',50.7239,6.6201);
geoStuff('Rostock','Germany',56.0012,15.0017);
geoStuff('Ganderkesee','Germany',53.0464,8.7664);
geoStuff('Wilhelmshaven','Germany',50.8021,4.1587);

The same story with some Russian users. At least three more stations works now (two - in Moscow, including my Radarbox, and one - in Saint Petersburg). But I don't see these stations on your map.

And for Russia we currently see:
geoStuff('Novosibirsk','Russian Federation',56.3735,86.7613);
geoStuff('Moscow','Russian Federation',55.4534,37.8148);

And remember, it looks at your City/Country in Preferences to place a pin.  And if that can't be resolved, it takes your IP address and generates the LAT/LONG listed.  The LAT/LONG is NOT the location you enter in Preferences, because of privacy concerns.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:28:06 AM »
This seems a totally pointless feature to me, look at the UK, can you see anywhere on the map to know where you're actually looking at? No, to be of any use at all, the overlayers need to be transparent so you can see the map, or have I missed a trick. Sorry 0/10.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

chewycanes

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 08:34:02 AM »
Thanks Airnav & Tarbat for your responses.

I assume the reason mine does not show is that i have the city entry in preferences blank and only have Lat and Long entered.

It therefore relies on my IP address which when i log onto http://www.tracemyip.org/ it comes up with my IP address as being my internet provider BT HUB which is in Chichester some 2hours drive away ?

If i enter my actual PC IP address into the demo it does not give any results.

Brian

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 08:48:14 AM »
CoastGuardJon,

There is a map linked on the first page without the overlay of the reception circles.
http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network2.php
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »
I assume the reason mine does not show is that i have the city entry in preferences blank and only have Lat and Long entered.

Correct.  Why not enter a CITY/COUNTRY in Preferences then?  If you're worried about privacy, enter a nearby location instead.

There is a map linked on the first page without the overlay of the reception circles.
http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network2.php

Why not make this the default, without circles.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:54:12 AM by tarbat »

chewycanes

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 09:26:02 AM »
Hi Tarbat

I am not worried at all. If someone has a problem i like to help resolve it if possible.

Until this post it is the first time have looked at the map since i got my RB a year ago.

All i was trying to do is pass information to Airnav that my box is not appearing. Airnav suggested using the IP address website. This may be flawed unless i was doing something stupid ?

I assumed which has proven incorrect that if i put in a Lat/Long position it would be used.

The reason i did not put a city in was because it would be inaccurate as the nearest city is 20 miles away.

Thanks
Brian

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
If you want to understand why you get a BLUE pin (IP address) rather than a RED pin (CITY/COUNTRY), read http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2764.msg24415#msg24415

The live map does use the location entered by the RB owner in Preferences - Home Station Data.   But, and its a big but, only if Google Earth can handle all the lookup requests.  Many of the lookups will time-out, resulting in BLUE pins.

If you want to see the list of all user locations, just right click on the page, and View Source.  You'll see all the locations listed as geoStuff statements.

Google often times-out on location lookups, so you end up with a BLUE pin based on your IP address :(

Airnav, if you really want to improve the network coverage map, find a way of stopping the large number of Google Maps timeouts on Geostuff CITY/COUNTRY lookups.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:04:09 AM by tarbat »

chewycanes

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »
Hi Tarbat

I checked the preferences and i already had my home town of 'UCKFIELD' in the City part of Station Data.
I did as you suggested and viewed the source and found my home Town.

The problem now is according to Google earth the Lat/Long it shows now puts me in Essex and not East Sussex.

Do you think this related to the Google Earth timeouts you mention or some error in conversion of my home town to a Lat/Long within Airnav ?

Thanks
Brian

eyeinthesky

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 11:34:20 AM »
This seems a totally pointless feature to me, look at the UK, can you see anywhere on the map to know where you're actually looking at? No, to be of any use at all, the overlayers need to be transparent so you can see the map, or have I missed a trick. Sorry 0/10.

I agree.
Using the Canon 10x30 IS Binoculars with Image Stabilisation, Brilliant job on a clear day.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »

I agree.

Well, use this link instead - http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network2.php