AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Antenna and installation  (Read 8669 times)

Drazick

Antenna and installation
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:48:11 PM »
Hello, I have long since left the RadarBox, now I want to use it again and I've been looking antennas and antenna complete kits, cables, amplifiers etc.

I live near the airport of Gran Canaria (GCLP).
 But I have great doubt, I saw the Kit Wimo of 299 €, but do not know what else I have to buy all the equipment apart, such as a 12v power source, and how they connect, I hope some of you may give me a simple explanation. Or make me a drawing or plan, how do the full installation from the mast on my roof to RadarBox.

Thank you very much everyone.

LSZS

Re: Antenna and installation
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »
Hello, I have long since left the RadarBox, now I want to use it again and I've been looking antennas and antenna complete kits, cables, amplifiers etc.

I live near the airport of Gran Canaria (GCLP).
 But I have great doubt, I saw the Kit Wimo of 299 €, but do not know what else I have to buy all the equipment apart, such as a 12v power source, and how they connect, I hope some of you may give me a simple explanation. Or make me a drawing or plan, how do the full installation from the mast on my roof to RadarBox.

Thank you very much everyone.

Hello, 2 years ago I bought this http://www.wimo.com/gp1090-1090mhz-antenne_d.html kit of Wimo for 269€. Is Compete of mast for the roof, amplifier 10mt cable ecoflex. You must to buy only a 12V ac-dc adapter.
That's all.

Bye
Stefano

ps: the 20mt cable version cost 299€.
Engadin Airport auf 1707m / 5600ft. Europas höchstgelegener Flughafen
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanobazzi/

Drazick

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:35:40 PM »
Hello, first of all thank you very much for helping me, it became clear that the kit is a good WiMo, I need 20 meters as my house has three floors. Does the adapter can be for example like this? as long as 12V.

regards

neroon79

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:06:38 AM »
Hi,

first of all: Yes, you can use this kind of AC/DC adapter.

While you are mentioning, that you will need 20meters of cable between your antenna an your Box, I'd like to recommend the ECOFLEX15 cable because of its extremely low damping factor and electrical resistance. I have the same distance between antenna and Box and I'm using the ECOFLEX15 cable. Since I switched to the ECOFLEX15 I have no limitations of reception-range any-more. Well, the EF15 has to markable disadvantages:
1st: Its price. 2nd: It's quite "stubborn" in concerns of Installation, due to its quite high diameter.

Some hints if you are planning a 24/7 operation of your RadarBox:

1st: You may buy a AC/DC adapter of fixed voltage, because they are much smaller than ones with variable voltages. Further their efficiency is usually a little better, because all components are optimized for 12V.

2nd: Do not stingy in concerns of power of the used AC/DC adapter. To use them in the area of 75% to 100% of maximum current rating, will lead to a reduction of MTBF (Mean time between failure). Means: If your preamp needs 800mA use a adapter, which is able to deliver 1500mA or even 2000mA instead of one that is capable to deliver 1000mA or worse 850mA. To proceed this way have several advantages, also in concerns of adapter temperature and electrical interference, which leads to number 3.

3rd. Don not use the cheapest switching mode power supply, because the may cause electrical interferences because of harmonics of their switching frequency.
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

Drazick

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 12:12:53 PM »
Hello, thank you very much for your explanation, in fact I have the desire to use RadarBox 24 / 7, today I purchased the kit from 299 € WiMo, since I get the package home and start the installation again to the forum to send a photos of the installation, to enjoin me if I did correctly. Regards

Drazick

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 11:38:15 PM »
Hello, as he said, had bought the kit today Wimo of 299 € and what is my surprise that once paid, Wimo sends an email to my partner who is who made ​​me this gift, telling that there was no stock the chemical and is expected to arrive on 14 September, which I think is a shame because on their website say they do not charge the purchase on credit card until the shipment is effective when the product or its stores and surprise is already charged on the amount of credit card and now I have almost until October antenna, because the 14th would have to add 10 or 15 days of delivery to the Canary Islands.

Wimo unfortunate.

They should show the status of their stock on their website.  :(

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 10:37:02 AM »
What about either of these two:

Nevada Radio
Radio World
The kits are slightly more expensive but they say they have them in stock.

One other I found is Moonraker

I recently set up my antenna and I used 20m of Westflex 103 coax and Radar Rama 1090 antenna. I then kept a eye on Ebay and managed to get a second hand pre-amp for £52 that is now installed. This gives me a average range of 190 miles with a max of 250 in some directions.

Drazick

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »
You are right, a little more money I have confidence that I will get the product, I'm waiting to get my money Wimo! I hope that does not take much.

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 11:30:10 AM »
The Moonraker kit is slightly cheaper than Wimo.
You can't see it very well in the description but this is the antenna that is in the kit:
Radar-100-1090
It may be worth emailing who you choose and check on stock and postage before you order, they should also be able to give you an idea on delivery time as well. ;)

Drazick

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »
Good afternoon, does anyone know how much you can take to get a refund on the card you paid Wimo kit? They tell me that I did return yesterday morning, is simply to know if it takes a lot to use the money at another store to buy another kit. Thanks to all

Drazick

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »
Giblets Wimo scammers, yesterday I sent an email, telling the kit will arrive next week after I had canceled the order last week, now I'm free kit without money and with explanations that are Wimo banking problems, not understanding. Sad

WiMo

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 09:39:29 AM »
Hola,
this is Ekki from WiMo in Germany.

There are some misunderstandings here, I am afraid.

First we would like to apologize for this misunderstanding.

Please note that we did not charge your credit card! When you order an item in our webshop, the (your) bank makes a reservation and blocks the money. This block exists, if nothing happens, for 14 days. This is unfortunate in the case that we cannot ship immediately, like it was in your case, and this is what we have to apologize for. In the future we will use a kind of indication in our webshop, if an items is not available immediately.

Meanwhile we have cancelled the reservation of the money on your credit card, so you should be able to use it as before. Your order was also cancelled as requested.

Again our apologies for this mishap.

Kind regards,
Ekki/WiMo
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:41:10 AM by WiMo »

Drazick

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
I feel great response, to improve the image of the company, but I am still without my money.
Save yourself explanations.

WiMo

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 06:55:36 PM »
Ok, as you wish, no explanations.

If someone else is interested - we are here for an open dialogue with our customers, even if we make mistakes occasionally.

Cheers,
Ekki/WiMo

Drazick

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »
Thanks for helping customers, I'm glad not waiting for the arrival of the antenna, give me back my money please. I'm not a rich person and saving for this gift you have them your bank! Thanks for not helping his former clients.