anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AirNav, Win7Pro and AVG again  (Read 4243 times)

N9JIG

• ANRB, too many radios and an understanding wife!
    • CARMA, the Chicago Area Radio Monitoring Association
AirNav, Win7Pro and AVG again
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:20:42 AM »
OK, I have read the forum posts that say to add an exception in AVG for AirNav to avoid the "AVG Anti-Virus is running on your computer." message and required clicking thru the dialog boxes. I have the exception in AVG, but I still get the message every time I run it. This trick worked fine when I was running VistaHP, but now under Win7P it doesn't.

My computer is an HP e9180 running Windows 7Pro (64 Bit) with 9GB RAM and an i7 chip.
AirNav is v3.12, and the box has a firmware of 02.03.1.
AVG is v9.0819 (Free version)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jono_Kzn

Re: AirNav, Win7Pro and AVG again
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 05:26:10 AM »
With your laptop being quite good why dont you in the meantime run a virtual machine with windows xp using virtual box it is free?

abrad41

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 06:51:14 AM »
Hi

I use to use AVG too, but did anybody know that Microsoft now have there own free anti-virus software, you can find it at http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Screenshot below.

Andy

Team Spirit

• AF1981 A380-800 passing T5 enroute CDG.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »
Hello,

Try 'whilst offline' starting AirNav with AVG turned off. Once AirNav is running, restart the AVG program. I had the same problem and that's how I got around it with my new Win7 laptop and it's works a treat.

Best of luck,

Cheers Dave.
Best regards Dave.

N9JIG

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:56:46 AM »
Hi

I use to use AVG too, but did anybody know that Microsoft now have there own free anti-virus software, you can find it at http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Screenshot below.

Andy

I removed AVG and installed MSE, all seems well at the moment on that regard.

Thanks!

Chris11

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 05:40:36 PM »
I now have this problem as well. Every time I start I get the AGV warning and even though I say I do not want to be asked again it comes up every time. Any ideas?

N9JIG

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:29:19 PM »
I now have this problem as well. Every time I start I get the AGV warning and even though I say I do not want to be asked again it comes up every time. Any ideas?

No matter what I did I could not get it to play nice with AVG. Once I removed AVG and installed MSIE  it worked fine. I also noticed that the MSIE seemed to pay better in other regards, it was less intrusive, especially during the first few minutes after start-up when AVG seems to use a lot of resources.

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 11:47:41 PM »
AVG was good a few years ago but it's got very much Norton these days and is quite resource heavy.
I also changed to MS Security Essentials on all our PC's and laptops and it runs nice on all Windows OS that we have in the house. 

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 07:31:26 AM »
Another vote here for using MS Security Essentials.  I went from Norton (corporate edition) to McAfee (forced on me by BT) and then to MS/SE.  It has a light footprint, and is easy to configure to exclude Airnav folders.

Chris11

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 06:21:09 AM »
OK - you guys win - AVG gone and MS in. I did not do any configuration and all seems good