AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox  (Read 11427 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:08:21 AM »
This topic has come up a couple of times recently, so here are my instructions on how you can use Open Street Map as a layer in Radarbox.  The instructions are in the attached OSM.PDF, and the spreadsheet referenced in the instructions is also attached as OSM.XLS.

It takes just a couple of minutes to replace a Satellite Layer with an OSM layer instead.

1. In Radarbox, setup the map to cover the area you’re interested in.  Then, download a satellite layer, and save it.  In this example, I'll use the saved name of "OSM1".

2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to the ... \AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox\Satellite\ folder.

3. Locate the OSM1.JPG file.  Right click on it, and select PROPERTIES.  In the DETAILS tab, make a note of the DIMENSIONS.  In this example, it is WIDTH=861 : HEIGHT=895.

4. Locate the OSM1.STL file, and open it in Notepad.  Select ALL the text (CTRL-A), and COPY (CTRL-C).  Then close Notepad.

5. Open the OSM.XLS spreadsheet.

6. In cells C4-C7, paste the four numbers from OSM1.STL

7. In cells E9 and E10, type in the WIDTH and HEIGHT numbers previously obtained from the OSM1.JPG file.

8. Goto cell E19, and COPY (CTRL-C).

9. In Internet Explorer, goto the address bar, and PASTE (CTRL-V).  Press ENTER.  A map should appear.  If that address doesn’t work, then try E21, then E23, then E25 until one of them works.  Right click on the map, and select COPY.

10. Open the OSM1.JPG file in Paintbrush, and PASTE (CTRL-V) the new map.  Save the OSM1.JPG file.

11. Back in Radarbox, reload the OSM1 map.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:10:12 PM by tarbat »

dumpty

Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »
Tarbat

Thanks for this very helpful post.

Could you tell me where I find the .STL file as all I have in my satellite folder is the jpeg image and the certificate trust list.

Many thanks

Simon
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:14:49 PM by dumpty »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
Could you tell me where I find the .STL file as all I have in my satellite folder is the jpeg image and the certificate trust list.

Right click the .STL file (marked as certificate trust list), and select "Open With", and choose "Notepad".

dumpty

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »
Sorted

Many Thanks

palace_ops

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »
Tarbat, thanks very helpful. Do you know if there is a way of changing (adding) the background colour for the aircraft labels? Against this new map layer theyre a bit more difficult to read. With planeplotter I can add a black background to the different colours for label text and it works well.

TIA, Steve

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:08:05 PM »
Steve, no, I don't think you can add a black background.  Instead, I setup a colour scheme with the aircraft labels using BLACK text, DARK GREEN for descending, etc..

Maybe if Airnav ever add OSM as a standard feature, they'll also add a background colour option for the labels - that works well in ShipTrax:

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:10:42 PM by tarbat »

palace_ops

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »
ok thanks for getting back to me....colours would be a nice feature to have.

vonsmalhausen

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 08:53:44 AM »
hy Tarbat, is this OSM map going to react on zooming in/out ? ore is it ( as i think ) just a fixed mapvieuw of a welldefined area ?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 09:11:54 AM »
hy Tarbat, is this OSM map going to react on zooming in/out ? ore is it ( as i think ) just a fixed mapvieuw of a welldefined area ?

It will react just the same as a satellite layer.  Zoom in and it will pixelate.

vonsmalhausen

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:49:20 AM »
thought so, well, i'll just wait till we eventually get a better map from AN :-)
thanks for the answer.

superspotter

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »
OK Tarbat, I am really liking the look of the OSM but.....try as I may, even though Airnav is telling me it has downloaded a satellite image and saved it, I cannot find it anywhere! It's not where it should be, in the satellite folder or anywhere else when I do a search. No jpeg no nothing??
My equipment: Airnav mobile antenna stuck outside of the highest hotel window available!
View my pictures at  http://www.flickr.com/photos/superspotter

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:40:08 AM »
Maybe you're running Vista or Win7, and installed in the Program Files folder.  If so, then the JPEG will have been put in the Virtual Store by Windows, so look in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\VirtualStore (xxxx is your Windows account).

superspotter

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 09:46:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply arbat, I've had a look where you suggested but there is nothing there that relates to this and yes, I am running Win7. I am not brave or capable enough with computers to try and start messing around so it looks like I am going to have to do without :(
My equipment: Airnav mobile antenna stuck outside of the highest hotel window available!
View my pictures at  http://www.flickr.com/photos/superspotter

hungerford1

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »
Hi i have just found this set of instructions and was wondering if you could let me know where to find the osm.xls spreadsheat if you have it, could you send me a copy? thank you

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
Hungerford - it's in the zip file attached to the first post in this thread.

BTW - welcome to the forum!

Rod
Rod