AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My flights (Without networking) only base hardware.  (Read 6671 times)

flymee1939

• Short Empire Class C
My flights (Without networking) only base hardware.
« on: July 14, 2011, 03:56:59 PM »
Anyone help with range showing a long band of signal only in South Eastern area of Grid.

I know I am surrounded with hills and mountains, is this the reason?

I get one or two flights and these of course disappear on time out in a few minutes.

My AirNav RadarBox 3d supplier says I should see a cluster.

I did expect my box to pick up all from EGPF I have my base 26 miles west of Glasgow down the Clyde.

A bit dissapointed anyone any ideas?

fllymee
Bring back all is forgiven!

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: My flights (Without networking) only base hardware.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:03:28 PM »
Hi flymee

The ADS-B signals are strictly line-of-sight, so if your aerial can see it, it will receive it, and hills, buildings etc will block the signals, unless you get some lucky reflections.

You can use this tool to see what you should theoretically receive: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=3335.msg31610#msg31610

Hope that helps.

Rod
Rod

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »
ADS-B Signals that RadarBox uses to plot aircraft on the map are high frequency transmissions so they won't be able to penetrate into valleys and generally we use the term "line of sight".

If your in a valley and a transmission will get blocked by the hills/mountains/buildings.

Try and get your antenna as high up as possible with the best view of the horizon and see whether it improves.  
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »
Hi flymee, can you post a screen shot of your polar diagram (preferably built up over a week or more) and give us a good (or better) detail of your actual location, so we can give you a better idea of what you should be receiving.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

flymee1939

• Short Empire Class C
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 08:00:14 PM »
Herewith tonights Polar pic if I can paste it.

flymee1939

• Short Empire Class C
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:12:08 PM »
Coastguard Jon from flymee please try this.

Henning

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 08:39:51 PM »
Where is your antenna located? Is it located inside your house? Try to locate it as near as possible to a window or if you have a laptop try to use it outside and see if you get better results, then.

RodBearden

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 08:42:26 PM »
Just adding to Henning's post, has your aerial got a good view of the sky?  Assuming it's indoors, can you try putting it on an outside windowsill or similar?

Traffic will be getting quiet now, so best try in the morning when there's more about.

Rod
Rod

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 09:53:49 PM »
Hi Flymee, hmmm, yes this looks to be a rather poor location, as Rod and Henning have said, can you improve your antenna's "view" of the sky, is there any chance of erecting an external antenna, getting some height to it?   You seem to be getting some reasonable distance range to the south east.  Can you access the network? If you can, you'll be able to get some idea of the actual traffic around you at any time.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Runway 31

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:38:11 AM »
Hi Flymee going by your polar diagram I presume you are located around about Greenock and on the hillside and quite near the top and I would expect a bit better reception than you are seeing.  As other have stated if the antenna cannot see the aircraft you wont get anythin on the screen and I presume that the antenna is located inside the window as you have quite a narrow beam to the south east even if it goes out a fair distance.

Try and get the antenna on the windowsill outside at least as if it is inside you will pick up next to nothing.  Try the a window sill on the other side of the hose if you have laptop and see if that its better as it you will probably get  better view of the sky with less in the way of hill to spoil the view.

flymee1939

• Short Empire Class C
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »
Henning, and other 'trackers. Just situated aerial nr window and pointing to some clear air, got 3 aircraft almost instantly. polar now shows a south west band and a north band, this most certainly will do for starters.

I have a laptop and can take it outside our home.

PS Do we need a power connector to the car battery when we use radarbox in transit?

I dont think my laptop will last long on its own internal.

Thank you for all your valued help

flymee

Runway 31

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
Flymee,

You can buy an inverter from Halfords, Maplins etc, try Googeling for Power Invertors.  This plugs into the ciggy lights and converts 12V -240V and will allow you to run the laptop.

Remember to run the car engine now and again as you can easily flatten the car battery if you sit all day with the laptop plugged in.  The car roof makes a good base for the antenna and you will be quite surprised with what you can see with the supplied antenna.

Alan

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:01:05 AM »
Hello

As I didn't need 240v for anything else and it was cheaper I have used this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/80W-DC-12V-Car-Power-Supply-Adapter-Charger-Laptop-/110691218961 in the car intermittently for about a year now and never had any problems.

Andrew

RodBearden

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:24:43 AM »
Wow - I didn't know these existed - wish I had known about them before I bought my inverter!

Rod
Rod

Aerotower

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 10:58:55 AM »
Hello

As I didn't need 240v for anything else and it was cheaper I have used this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/80W-DC-12V-Car-Power-Supply-Adapter-Charger-Laptop-/110691218961 in the car intermittently for about a year now and never had any problems.

Andrew
Do not forget to check before you buy this item if your computer needs to 80W or more. And the amps!

Very important before sending a computer to the scrap.