anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why use ShipTrax?  (Read 17602 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Why use ShipTrax?
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:59:51 AM »
Having been without a ShipTrax beta to run for the last few days, I reverted to running ShipPlotter instead.  This got me thinking about the features in ShipTrax that make it so much better for me.

1. The user interface.  The combination of a map display and MyShips list is so easy to use.

2. Having instant access to ship details and photos.  The auto-retrieval of photo thumbnails is probably the most important feature for me.

3. Alerts.  I particularly use the "within range" alert to let me know when a ship comes within "binoculars" range.

4. Ship labels that don't overlap on the map.

5. The polar chart.

6. The colour coding of ships by TYPE.

I guess I could go on.  I'm sure there are many features that I now take for granted.

I'm just glad to have a new beta (v1.09) to run now alongside the excellent ShipTrax hardware receiver.  I just hope that will all this beta testing we've spotted and fixed as many bugs as possible ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/5914437561/sizes/o/in/photostream/

jannuh

Re: Why use ShipTrax?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:43:30 PM »
Sure Shiptrax looks good.

1. Yes you've got a point, asked several times for it for Shipplotter (further named SP)
2. Another good point, 1 and 2 is much the same point.
3. in SP you can also make alert zones, as many as you like, with many filter options
4. Doesn't have to in SP, you can zoom in and out on maps
5. good point of Shiptrax, but in SP lookup of max distance
6. standard available in SP, you can make colors on thiptype/navigation aids etc., but
    also colorcoding on underway, anchored etc.etc.etc.

Did you ever have a good look into SP??

Furthermore:
does Shiptrax also support Inland AIS messages, in early information of Shiptrax is hasn't,
SP has, supports all messages.

So I'm not contra Shiptrax or just pro SP, both have nice features...

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 02:23:55 PM »
3. in SP you can also make alert zones, as many as you like, with many filter options

I guess I didn't persevere long enough to work out how alert filters work in SP, and couldn't see how to setup alerts for specific ship names, etc. with wildcards, etc. in SP.

4. Doesn't have to in SP, you can zoom in and out on maps
I don't want to have to zoom in just to see a ship label hidden by another label.  I regularly found ship labels overlapping in SP, particularly with several ships in port at Invergordon.  Obviously you can also zoom in and out in ShipTrax.

6. standard available in SP, you can make colors on thiptype/navigation aids etc., but also colorcoding on underway, anchored etc.etc.etc.
Pity that feature isn't ON by default in SP.  I did look at the display options dialog box, and was daunted by the prospect of defining "Plotted"/"Labelled"/"Colour"/etc for all 100+ ship types and 16 status'.  I prefer the ShipTrax approach of using different colours for broad categories of ship - CARGO, PASSENGER, TANKER, AUXILIARY, OTHER, HAZMAT.  And that feature is turned ON by default.

Did you ever have a good look into SP??
I've used ShipPlotter for over three years, so I know my way around the program quite well, although may not have explored some of the more obscure features.

does Shiptrax also support Inland AIS messages, in early information of Shiptrax is hasn't, SP has, supports all messages.
I don't know for sure, but Airnav have stated that it decodes ALL AIS messages - see http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4240.msg42744#msg42744

Do you have a capture file of these specific inland AIS messages?  If you do, send me a copy and I'll see if I can construct a replay file to put through the ShipTrax software to see what is decoded.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:35:49 PM »
Jannuh: please don't create a ShipTrax vs SP discussion on this forum.

ShipTrax is a new system (hardware + software) and is based on years of technology develoepd for RadarBox. We are that, like RadarBox, we will set the standards in this area: there is no professsionaly maintained AIS tracking software for enthusiasts at this time. ShipTrax will be the first.

There is always room for competition but ShipTrax will enter the marker with the same objective we had for RadarBox: be the leader.

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »

ShipTrax is a new system (hardware + software) and is based on years of technology develoepd for RadarBox. We are that, like RadarBox, we will set the standards in this area: there is no professsionaly maintained AIS tracking software for enthusiasts at this time. ShipTrax will be the first.

There is always room for competition but ShipTrax will enter the marker with the same objective we had for RadarBox: be the leader.

Will Shiptrax be released before xmas 2011?
Thanks
Johnn -

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 11:10:45 PM »
Yes.

jannuh

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 01:05:53 PM »
Hmmmm Airnav, you state you're the leader, you're the first with professionally maintained ais software....   why are you so afraid for discussion??

Maintenance: the process of inspecting or checking a unit or system to ensure it is functioning correctly,or to determine why it is not operating correctly.Repairing or renewing defective or damaged components,adjusting settings and controls to maintain the required or specified performance
Will that be the same maintenance as for Radarbox?

Compare Shipplotter forum: there was an issue about the lookup of ships details at the ITU website: free discussion and within a few days a new version available; didn't work at first instance, result: more discussion until problem solved.

You don't want real discussion on your forum, just a bunch of flatterers is praised in heaven ;)

GL with Shiptrax, if it is really the best, you have nothing to fear

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »
Jannuh, you are free to have your opinion but please respect all other forum users and avoid this kind of posts. No one is interested anymore in RadarBox vs SBS wars and now ShipTrax vs SP.

jannuh

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
I think discussion just started and will be more active when Shiptrax will be released.

@Tarbat: did sent you a msg via Flickr about the inland ais messages.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »
@Tarbat: did sent you a msg via Flickr about the inland ais messages.

Not sure I get messages from Flickr.  Better to PM me on this forum.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 08:47:31 AM »
ShipTrax showing inland AIS from a recording file (thanks Jan).  Airnav correctly shows the ship position and ship detail/voyage details.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/5925877810/sizes/o/in/photostream/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:06:07 PM by tarbat »

eyeinthesky

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 10:12:50 AM »
Having been without a ShipTrax beta to run for the last few days, I reverted to running ShipPlotter instead.  This got me thinking about the features in ShipTrax that make it so much better for me.

1. The user interface.  The combination of a map display and MyShips list is so easy to use.

2. Having instant access to ship details and photos.  The auto-retrieval of photo thumbnails is probably the most important feature for me.

3. Alerts.  I particularly use the "within range" alert to let me know when a ship comes within "binoculars" range.

4. Ship labels that don't overlap on the map.

5. The polar chart.

6. The colour coding of ships by TYPE.

I guess I could go on.  I'm sure there are many features that I now take for granted.

I'm just glad to have a new beta (v1.09) to run now alongside the excellent ShipTrax hardware receiver.  I just hope that will all this beta testing we've spotted and fixed as many bugs as possible ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/5914437561/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Whats the price.
Using the Canon 10x30 IS Binoculars with Image Stabilisation, Brilliant job on a clear day.

eyeinthesky

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 10:19:05 AM »
Jannuh, you are free to have your opinion but please respect all other forum users and avoid this kind of posts. No one is interested anymore in RadarBox vs SBS wars and now ShipTrax vs SP.

Well said are not starting that rubbish again.
Using the Canon 10x30 IS Binoculars with Image Stabilisation, Brilliant job on a clear day.