AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: External antenna  (Read 5826 times)

BESWICK

External antenna
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
Hi every one,

Here we go again, another question about antenna’s. To cut a long story short my supplied  RD antenna has seen better days and has finally giving up ghost after being stuck outside in all weathers and the cable being shut in the window frame on the odd occasion.

Yes I know that it not meant for the outside but I take my life into my own hands every time I lean out of my window to place it on the edge  my roof, hence I have left it outside for the last few months and it did the job.

Now its time for a replacement and preferably a external antenna. I’ve seen so many articles and posts on different kinds of antenna’s. What I am thinking of going for is the  Radar Rama antenna which I would Clamp to a pole for some extra height.

First of all what kind of coax cable would I need. It would only have to be a short length maybe 4 meters if that as my box sits on my bedroom window seal and this is connected to 2 USB active leads which connect to my PC downstairs.

Also what kind of connectors would you need and can you get the coax cable required made up with the connectors  pre installed. Would there much loss with the extra length of cable.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you could give me

Thanks

BESWICK

Runway 31

Re: External antenna
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
Hi Beswick,

For cable low loss is best and the best there is is W103 from http://www.whwestlake.co.uk/

He will also do any connectors and fly leads that you need.

Alan

chewycanes

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »
Hi Beswick

The company Alan suggests is the one i used.

I phoned him up and told him what i was doing and he suggested what cable and connectors.

The cable is quite thick (about 10mm) and the connectors are soldered and quite big (about 18mm) so you need a large hole through a wall or frame.

He supplied a small transition cable which connects the Radar Box to the main cable to stop any stress on the box connection as it is a small connector.

Mine is also a Radar Rama on a roof top pole with about 8 M of cable with no problems of loss.

Brian

eyeinthesky

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »
Hi every one,

Here we go again, another question about antenna’s. To cut a long story short my supplied  RD antenna has seen better days and has finally giving up ghost after being stuck outside in all weathers and the cable being shut in the window frame on the odd occasion.

Yes I know that it not meant for the outside but I take my life into my own hands every time I lean out of my window to place it on the edge  my roof, hence I have left it outside for the last few months and it did the job.

Now its time for a replacement and preferably a external antenna. I’ve seen so many articles and posts on different kinds of antenna’s. What I am thinking of going for is the  Radar Rama antenna which I would Clamp to a pole for some extra height.

First of all what kind of coax cable would I need. It would only have to be a short length maybe 4 meters if that as my box sits on my bedroom window seal and this is connected to 2 USB active leads which connect to my PC downstairs.

Also what kind of connectors would you need and can you get the coax cable required made up with the connectors  pre installed. Would there much loss with the extra length of cable.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you could give me

Thanks

BESWICK

ALAN.
Just seen your post i use westlake coax and  RADAR-EXTENDER, i was getting
about 60 miles with indoor antenna as you can see a lot better i now using no preamps.
hope this helps.

RADAR-EXTENDER External antenna for RadarBox

http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/RADAR-EXTENDER_External_antenna_for_RadarBox.html

coax westlake 103 n connection with patch lead.
http://www.whwestlake.co.uk/

Using the Canon 10x30 IS Binoculars with Image Stabilisation, Brilliant job on a clear day.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »
Hi Beswick, I've only just read your query, and whilst I would normally agree with Alan, Brian and eyeinthe sky over the use of the best co-ax (agreed Westlake is the best) available, with only 4 metres downlead length you can get away with any decent co-ax (even a HQ RG174, ie better than the standard used on the basic RB supplied antenna, with decent screening) this is thin enough to thread through a window frame and remain there. RG213 and Westlake is 10mm outside diameter and do not bend easily, being much stiffer. If you were going over 10m then heavier co-ax would be far more desirable. Bear in mind the standard supplied antenna only has 4 or 5m RG174 (od somewhat dubious quality) and look at the results achieved with that. For my money the most important thing is to get the external end of the co-ax and connections throughly water-proofed - electricians' silicone grease is great.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:39:29 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »
Given the cable length you are probably right Jon

Alan

Beauceron

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 10:04:24 AM »
Hi all,

Loss of receiving signal is huge when using a long coax. I have two 1090 Mhz antennas installed.
One with aprox. 10 m and one with 60 m high quality Ecoflex 10 coax.

The antenna with 60 m cable has the Mast pre-amplifier AS-1090 and the AS-1090BT Bias-T  installed.
Receiving around 80 aircraft with the short coax drops down to 20 aircraft when switching to the pre-amplified antenna.

So keep the coax as short as possible...

Greets