AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Netbook v Laptop - ANRB shuts down on Netbook....  (Read 4477 times)

Tramline

Netbook v Laptop - ANRB shuts down on Netbook....
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:22:05 PM »
I'm running latest 2D version on both my netbook and laptop.  Both have the same power settings for the USB and the same Kaspersky Anti-Virus software.  My ANRB runs without any issues on my Laptop but on my Netbook the ANRB will lose it's information and I'm left with just a flashing LED on the box.  I close ANRB and restart it and it'll be fine then about 20 mins later will lose all its info again.  I'm using the same USB lead and as I say I do not have this issue when using ANRB on my Laptop.

Both have the same power settings for the USB etc - any thoughts??

If I wanted to buy a new USB lead what lead should I specify and can anyone recommend a good supplier please.

Many thanks
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Netbook v Laptop - ANRB shuts down on Netbook....
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »
It sounds like the netbook maybe struggling, run RadarBox on the netbook when its busier during the day and using task manager inform us what the CPU usage is like?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Tramline

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.  Its one of these;

Brand: Samsung
Mfr Part Number: N210 Plus
RAM Size: 2 GB
Processor Speed: 1.66 GHz
Hard Drive Size: 160 GB

I only have the RB and the internet running on it when it fails.   As I say the Laptop has no problems with the RB ..and presumably the USB cable.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:57:31 AM by Tramline »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »
Netbooks usually have a low CPU performance compared to laptops and as your signature says your in a busy area for ADS-B traffic. If there is busy traffic and your on the network as well, it may be too much for your netbook.
[email protected]

Tramline

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:57:46 AM »
I ran ANRB on my netbook all day yesterday just using My Flights. I did not connect to the Network and the system ran without any issues.

Today using the same set up its has disconnected twice within 2 hours.  The CPU was fluctuating between 7% and 88% and the maximum number of flights showing in My Flights was 48.  The cables were not touched once the program was running and suddenly I lost all flights and just had the Blue USB light flashing.

I shut down ANRB and took out and replaced the USB cable and it began running without issue again but failed after 17mins.  The USB power settings allow for 5 hrs.

I'm at a loss.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »
The fact you ran it fine yesterday without the network shows its a resource issue. Once you have the network on you have more processing going on every 20/30 seconds and more flights shown on the screen. 

This is pushing the netbook too far and its struggling to cope, what happens then is that the USB handshake routine (the way it checks the RB is connected and receiving) doesn't get a reply back in time as the netbook is busy processing and has got behind and it drops the connection.

Netbooks are getting popular nowadays but they are not laptops and cannot cope with certain amount of resource requirements. However the new netbooks with dual cores will be able to cope just fine.
[email protected]

Tramline

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks for coming back AirNav but I did NOT have the Network connected today either.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:30:23 AM »
Then thats even more worrying if your usage is peaking at 88% on your netbook without the network.

If its happily working on your laptop and you the cable is fine we can only suggest its dropping the connection because of the lack resources. Unless something else has changed since yesterday on your machine or setup?
[email protected]

Tramline

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:40:31 AM »
I've restarted RB without the Network and I'm watching the CPU meter and its spiking at 82 down to 7% but the average figure is around 46%.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »
Is there anything else which runs in the background?

Any windows updates or antivirus software would take at least 10% of your CPU.
[email protected]

Tramline

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 09:02:49 PM »
Hi AirNav, I have one internet session running, one Excel sheet, one Word sheet and ANRB.  I have Kaspersky Anti Virus running as well which has a low CPU uptake.   I do not run Network and my highest My Flights figure was 52 and after 37 mins my RB disconnected leaving the blue USB light flashing. I watched my CPU on task manager and my RB died when the CPU was reading 42%.  Physical memory was 51%.   My CPU had many spikes often like a heartbeat spiking at 81% then down to 3%.  It rose to 100% when RB was starting up but settled down to 30% then began the 'heartbeat spikes'.

I unplugged the USB connection, re-plugged in and restarted RB it then ran for 4 hours without issue before failing again with the CPU at 26%.

I'm sure this info will not really help you but I wonder if anyone else has such netbook issues. The netbook is only two months old and has upgraded memory as is dedicated to RB use.