anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why was Air Nav down today?  (Read 4641 times)

Evanelpus

Why was Air Nav down today?
« on: June 01, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »
If you have posted the reason elsewhere, I apologise for this post.  Could you tell me where to find it?

If you haven't, I think you owe everyone an explanation as to why the whole of Air Nav was down for a considerable period of time today.  No network, no Forums and no status page was available for well over two hours in the UK.  I don't feel that, as subscribers, we should have to ask why we are not getting the service we have paid for.

I recently voiced concerns on this site about my decision to get a delayed annual subscription to the network after experiencing a number of downtime moments.  You assured me that the network was reliable, however, my personal experience of it is the opposite to your claim.

I look forward to your response as I'm sure a lot of other radar Box users are too.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Why was Air Nav down today?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »
It was down from 6.14pm (UTC) to 7.40 today. As you mention the whole site was also down. We apologise the inconvenience and we are checking with our team to what exactly happened.

We did change the software on the server recently to manage the extra load of customers. The network is ever expanding and this requires more processing power as well as better software techniques to face the challenge of the amount of data.

Obviously any downtime is taken seriously by our team especially when it affects the whole website and we will be doing our best to rectify this.

However please be noted we do not give any SLA agreement with the network when you purchase a subscription (similar to ISPs) but we do our best to manage a 99.9% uptime rate. We are still within those bounds of this years stats. If you are using the network for Professional purposes please contact us directly and we can provide a SLA agreement.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Evanelpus

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 08:15:12 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.

When it happens again, could you please post why, it will stop individuals posting network down threads.  Plus it's good customer service.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:07:23 PM »
When it happens again, the site will be down, so that's no use. But perhaps a note on Twitter or Facebook would help.

AirNav - how about a stated policy of posting a notice on Facebook when the forum's dead along with the network? That way can can all have a grumble ;-)

Rod
Rod

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:14:21 PM »
That does sound like a good idea, we do want our system robust so if the network is ill the rest of the site is still up. So that may be used as a last resort.

As you can imagine the knock on effect it has not only RB but other products as well as sales.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:12:12 AM »
A back up server may be a good idea for when the main server is off line.  I know there are additional costs involved in providing back up resources but there are also costs involved to yourselves in not being able to provide the service, not only in financial terms but also in terms of your good name and reliability.

It seems to me that Airnav could be a little for proactive in informing users that the network is unavailable for whatever reason and instead of us as users requiring to ask it should be your responsibility to advise and inform users.

Over to you Ainav

Alan

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 06:43:20 AM »
We are investigating what caused these recent outages. It seems one of the services running on the server crashed limiting all the rest of the site. We will share more news when available.

Evanelpus

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 07:02:55 AM »
When it happens again, the site will be down, so that's no use.
Rod

I did mean immediately the site was back up and running, I'm not that thick!