anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Intermittent Operation  (Read 5781 times)

twolimatango

Intermittent Operation
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »
I have been running ANRB with good results for weeks now - 200+ targets but today....NOTHING.  USB light is flashing at me signal light is inactive.  Have tried everything i can think of to rectify this.  Changed Antenna from External to stock antenna, re-installed drivers and software and still the flashing USB light.  RB says Hardware connected and reports firmware status.  Totally stumped - any suggestions?  Am i looking at a dead radarbox or minimum sending it back for checking out?

twolimatango

Re: Intermittent Operation
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:26:02 PM »
Intermittent because I have had this a few times but normally clears if I unplug the box and restart

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:12:53 PM »
Hi 2LT, if it's an intermittent fault, I would suggest the RB is AOK, if it fails - it fails big-time, and the most you'll be receiving direct is aircraft within a very few miles of you, probably 30nm radius at best.   If intermittent, far more likely to be a USB problem, try changing lead for a known good HQ one, and check that USB sockets appear to be firmly fastened to pcbs inside PC and RB.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:18:43 PM »
As CoastGuardJob says we would advise checking the USB cable first. We have sent you the return instructions if after using another cable its still the same.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

twolimatango

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:28:13 AM »
Thanks - I have tried replacing the USB cable and still the same.  I'm near to W&S so will pop into Hockley today to get a their opinion.

oldun

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:05:57 AM »
hi twolima did you get any joy from w&s because mine is doing the same thanks  jeff.

twolimatango

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »
hi twolima did you get any joy from w&s because mine is doing the same thanks  jeff.

Its been booked in for someone to take a look at. So.....have to wait and see.

oldun

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 09:22:21 PM »
ok thanks will you keep me informed please   leff

twolimatango

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »
Well..........its back from W&S but.......

They replaced the F1 filter (whatever that is).  I have plugged it back in to the same setup I had before it went and I seem to have decreased range by approx 40 miles in the new polar diagram.  It has only been running an hour in fairness so i will leave it and see what happens after a few days running.  Before and after plots attached.

twolimatango

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:35:11 PM »
before repair

bratters

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »
That's an interesting post 2LT.

Going back maybe two years I had a couple of filter problems and on each occasion I noticed a range difference on the return of the box  - one an improvement over standard performance, the other a detereoration.

Being non-tech I know absolutely nothing about filters however I would ask those who do whether these things are adjustable? Alternatively do they come with differing properties? Basically can a filter setting be adjusted for maximum/minimum response in any way and if so is there an optimum setting that maybe balances distance against the likelyhood of failure? Can these filters be tweaked ?

Runway 31

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 02:28:40 PM »
Comparing a polar diagram before and after with only an hours operation for the after shot is pretty meaningless.  How much running had it taken to get the original diagram, give it a while and then compare.

Alan

twolimatango

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 02:45:45 PM »
I'll give it a fair chance - a week should do it.  Happy that its working though don't get me wrong.

twolimatango

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »
I'll give it a fair chance - a week should do it.  Happy that its working though don't get me wrong.

So..its been running a week and here is a combined polar diagram - one from before repair and one after, shown on the same map.  looks like I've lost a around 10 to 20% range.  I think in 'MyFlights' I am down around 25% to 30% in the number of aircraft  Was 200+ now 140 ish.  I don't know that it can be improved but I'll ask at W&S as its kind of nulled out the advantage I gained from my new antenna.