anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HELLO.  (Read 2891 times)

oldun

HELLO.
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
Hello all out there, my name is jeff i am nearly 64 yrs young, and a radio ham for about 6 yrs now. I had an airnav about 3 years ago when i was working, but sold it because i didn't have the time, i was up at 4:30 every morning and tired all the while, i have now retired early to look after the other half. Anyway! i have bought another one and it came with the Radar Rama Antenna thrown in, its only as big as the normal indoor one that comes with the box, so i was a bit dubious about it but i tried it, its on a 10ft pole above my gutter with about 5mts rg58 coax , i live in quite an industrial area in a place called the black country. Before i connected it up i was getting 10 to 12 my flights, then i hooked it up and guess what ? i couldn't believe it it shot up to 75 to 80 and the polar range shot right up . the moral of the story? i would recommend the Radar Rama its nice and discrete, and works well. Now for a couple of questions for all you experts out there, i might be a bit thick asking but, the grey matter is fading i'm afraid, what is the best lowest and highest  altitude to set set on the RB i am 400 ft ASL, i dont know if that makes any difference or not, and also if i put my comp on standby will the RB still record what it has seen, because the signal light doesn't flash but the usb stays on , told you i was thick, awaiting your reply's, and waiting to talk to all of you, thanks   JEFF.     

Runway 31

Re: HELLO.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:48:58 PM »
Hi Jeff,

With your computer on standby,  the Radarbox wont be working.

Alan

oldun

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 02:28:58 PM »
Ok alan thanks for the information, someone told me that it did this is why i asked the question, thanks again  jeff.

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
One way of finding out for sure Jeff and that is to try it and see.

Alan

oldun

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »
Ok thanks i will, and i'l let you know.

oldun

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »
Yes you are right alan, its not active when it is in standby, looks like i will have to leave the pc on and turn the screen off thanks again   jeff.

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:53:25 PM »
Hi oldun,and welcome.
My box runs 24/7 on a Acer laptop with no problem, I just wander in and watch every now and then and then abit more, helps that I keep a stash of single malt hidden for rainy days. (Like yesterday and today, possibly tomorrow and the day after....;-) 
Best wishes   Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

oldun

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:41:57 PM »
Ok dave thanks for the info, like the bit about the malt lol.