anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Few questions before I transfer to AirNav Radarbox!  (Read 16866 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: A Few questions before I transfer to AirNav Radarbox!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
The main thing with what Tarbat describes as being nice to haves is that like the Navdata contained in the box, they are over 3 years old.

What's with the "3 years old" bit.  AFAIK, logos and flags were updated in v3.13, which is only just over 1 year old (released Dec 2009).

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
Chris

In answer to your main point regarding spotting:-

As a slight twist, outside of the confines of the RadarBox software,there are other options/databases out there that quite nicely interface with Radarbox.

I have used Aerodata for a good few years now, and have 30 odd years of spotting logged onto this database - this then has a "look up" facility that checks aircraft picked up in My Flights ,on the RadarBox, and compares them to my loggings in Aerodata, and displays those that I have not noted as having seen before before.

This sets in a box on your pc/laptop screen "on top" of the RadarBox display, or on a separate screen if using two screens - you can then automatically log your sightings whilst spotting.

Admittedly, Aerodata comes at a cost also, so its not a cheap alternative, and also takes time to get up to speed with all your loggings etc, but in a roundabout way, it is possible via this external database.

I think ADU may now offer a similar facility, though not certain?

pm me if you need any more details

Regards

Rich

ACW367

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 06:14:14 PM »
The main thing with what Tarbat describes as being nice to haves is that like the Navdata contained in the box, they are over 3 years old.

What's with the "3 years old" bit.  AFAIK, logos and flags were updated in v3.13, which is only just over 1 year old (released Dec 2009).

Yes the V3.13 that is available on the highlighted exe is one year old.  But the version he gets on the CD in the box is still the 3 year old 2.0 version.  This is what I was highlighting.

The 3.13 exe had no updates from the three year old V2.0 to outlines or to silhouettes etc.  And for flags and logos after a 3.13 install they go from being 3 years out of date to only one year out of date.  But you are still out of date and other updates are available if you search for them.  The 3.13 for example still does not include the VQ-B flags or any of the new airlines etc. 

This is what Chris originally asked.
“I’ve seen on the forum that there’s an update for this, that and everything. (lots about databases etc). When/if I get a radarbox, what will I need to update and how often will I need to do this?”

Just doing the 3.13 update will bring him part the way up to date.  But we have told him what he will need to update to get the most current up to date info and that he will need to continue to monitor the forum on various threads for updates from users to logos, flags, outlines and silhouettes in due course, in answer to his query 'how often will I need to do this?'.  He will of course need also to watch for new Airnav releases of Navdatas and software versions beyond the current 3.13/4.03.

Chris has suggested a one stop shop, that is an eminently good idea and one Airnav could provide.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 06:30:03 PM »
Ignore the troll.
Alan

Hi Alan,
Who are you calling a troll now....?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Runway 31

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 06:47:01 PM »
Hi Jon,

The special one.

Alan

delconair

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 07:56:09 PM »
Hi,
    Suggest you read the comments " Windows 7 nightmare" on this forum. I cannot get radar box to function correctly on my new laptop using windows 7 (64bit). it will not accept the 64bit driver download it states its not certified. I was told to still load it and ignore the access denial message,  windows wont ignore it. I use it perfectly on my older computer without any problem whatsoever. Please do not think I'm trying to put you off. I'm only warning of the problems I encountered. 
                                                     Delconair.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 08:38:17 PM »
The 64bit drivers we provide are signed. If its stating it is not signed you are not pointing to the correct drivers. We have 100s of customers using 64bit without any issue now.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

chrisd282

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 01:44:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

Silhouettes are also around for new types that have been built or allocated new ICAO codes in the last few years like B748.

Ah yeah ok, so the most recent aircraft/airlines/airports/runways or whatever that was created recently might need to be updated. That’s really useful to know, at least now I can pinpoint the updates etc that I’d like.

Chris

In answer to your main point regarding spotting:-

As a slight twist, outside of the confines of the RadarBox software,there are other options/databases out there that quite nicely interface with Radarbox.

I think ADU may now offer a similar facility, though not certain?

Hey thanks for the information. I have ADU myself and know that it can populate the comments section of mylog with the seen details. But I was hoping that I could see on screen the aircraft that I Need (ie aircraft with NO details in the comments section) It can be done in SBS database, but I was wondering whether it was here. Now that I know I can use this smartview thing, it will take a little bit more work but I can copy and paste all the reg’s of the planes I need in this ‘box’ and work around it that way.

Wow..that aerodata IS expensive isn’t it!

Hi,
    Suggest you read the comments " Windows 7 nightmare" on this forum. I cannot get radar box to function correctly on my new laptop using windows 7 (64bit). it will not accept the 64bit driver download it states its not certified.  
[…]
                                                     Delconair.

Thanks for the info. I’ll take a look at the forum if I have a problem. Since Airnav said that hundreds of people have the 64 bit drivers, fingers crossed I’ll be problem free, but thanks for pointing it out.

Yes the V3.13 that is available on the highlighted exe is one year old.  But the version he gets on the CD in the box is still the 3 year old 2.0 version.  This is what I was highlighting.

This is what Chris originally asked.
“I’ve seen on the forum that there’s an update for this, that and everything. (lots about databases etc). When/if I get a radarbox, what will I need to update and how often will I need to do this?”

Just doing the 3.13 update will bring him part the way up to date.  But we have told him what he will need to update to get the most current up to date info and that he will need to continue to monitor the forum on various threads for updates from users to logos, flags, outlines and silhouettes in due course, in answer to his query 'how often will I need to do this?'.  He will of course need also to watch for new Airnav releases of Navdatas and software versions beyond the current 3.13/4.03.

Brill, so once I get the box, I’ll update the navdata, logos of new airlines in my area (if I have any), outlines (if I want) and silhouettes (if I want). I’ll stay in contact with the airnav forum and make sure I’ll know when the next updates are around. Is there nothing in the software to tell you there’s an update available if I’m away from the forum for a month say?

Lastly, I have a question.
When I have the newest version of the navdata, what happens when there is a plane built after the release? Will the registration just not show? Will I have to update the record manually so that a reg/airline/flag etc will be shown? For example, G-EZGE was delivered yesterday, since it is after the release of the navdata, will this not show?

Hope someone can help me.

Finally,

Ignore the troll.
Alan
Hi Jon,
The special one.Alan

Can we keep trolls, goblins or whatever sort of lord-of-the-rings-type things in other threads, I was hoping that this one could just be about my questions I have :) :)

Thanks for all your answers
Chris
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:52:37 PM by chrisd282 »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 01:58:48 PM »
Lastly, I have a question.
When I have the newest version of the navdata, what happens when there is a plane built after the release? Will the registration just not show? Will I have to update the record manually so that a reg/airline/flag etc will be shown? For example, G-EZGE was delivered yesterday, since it is after the release of the navdata, will this not show?

As long as the database update team have details of the new aircraft, it will be added to Airnav's online database.  When your local Radarbox picks up that new aircraft, it interogates Airnav's online database and updates your local navdata database, and also displays the full details on your screen, so no need to update manually.

Database update requests are managed on this thread - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5633.0
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:03:41 PM by tarbat »

chrisd282

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 02:00:53 PM »
Tarbat, all undestood, many thanks! It sounds good that hopefully any new aircraft will be updated automatically..very impressive!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »
FYI, G-EZGE is on Airnav's online database

Returns:
OK;;4624;Airbus A319-111;easyJet Airline;;;G-EZGE;OK;;;;;;;;
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:06:01 PM by tarbat »