anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Few questions before I transfer to AirNav Radarbox!  (Read 16868 times)

chrisd282

A Few questions before I transfer to AirNav Radarbox!
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:11:08 PM »
Hello,

I just have a few questions regarding what this software can do with the radarbox.

I am very much one of those classic "spotters", always peering out of the window seeing what I can see. I keep an electronic log with another program of all the planes I see. I currently have an SBS-1 and am bored of the fact the program's not changed in years and it's difficult to update etc.

1) Would it be possible to show on the display the aircraft that I need? I don’t mind having to update an 'internal' database to show this, but does the software have the capabilities to show which aircraft I would need? I know of this "SmartView" thing, would this do the trick? I there a limit on how many items I can put in the smartview 'box'?

2) If I populate this information in the Comments section of the MyLog, is there any way of showing this on the screen instead?

3) Is it possible to use some sort of sqb database program to populate the smartview “database”? Might be a bit quicker to transfer the date from my log database to the radarbox database.

4. I’ve seen on the forum that there’s an update for this, that and everything. (lots about databases etc). When/if I get a radarbox, what will I need to update and how often will I need to do this?

Hope someone can answer some of my questions!

Thanks

Chris

ACW367

Re: A Few questions before I transfer to AirNav Radarbox!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:31:08 PM »
Hello,

I just have a few questions regarding what this software can do with the radarbox.

I am very much one of those classic "spotters", always peering out of the window seeing what I can see. I keep an electronic log with another program of all the planes I see. I currently have an SBS-1 and am bored of the fact the program's not changed in years and it's difficult to update etc.

2) If I populate this information in the Comments section of the MyLog, is there any way of showing this on the screen instead?
Hope someone can answer some of my questions!

Thanks

Chris

Can answer this question.  It is not display anywhere else in the airnav software.  But you can export the MyLog into .CSV comma seperated format for viewing in MS Access, notepad etc.  The free type comments field is a full part of that .CSV export.

perezoso

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 03:23:34 AM »
I'd be happy to trade you my Radarbox for your SBS-1!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »
SmartView is probably your best option.  There's no "official" limit to the number of items, so how many do you want to use?  Note that you can use a wild-card on the end of entries, and you can enter FlightIDs and/or Registrations.  For example, I have LOG* to look for all Loganair flights, and G-SAS* to look for all Air Ambulance registrations, G-CH* for coastguard aircraft, etc.....

The SmartView list is held in a text file - D006.dat just as plain text, so very easy to generate from your existing list.

If you want to see how the software operates, you can download the latest version and simply run it in demonstration mode.

4. I’ve seen on the forum that there’s an update for this, that and everything. (lots about databases etc). When/if I get a radarbox, what will I need to update and how often will I need to do this?

When you get a Radabox, best to:

1. Download the latest version of the software, from http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/support.html

2. Download the latest navdata database, which contains the most up-to-date aircraft registration details, etc.

After that, any new aircraft registration details are downloaded automatically by Radarbox, so the only time you'll need to update is if a new version of the software is released.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

ps. Here's my SmartView tab:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/5511831524/sizes/o/in/photostream/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:39:01 AM by tarbat »

chrisd282

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:22:06 AM »
Hey
Many thanks for all of your responces!

Can answer this question.  It is not display anywhere else in the airnav software.  But you can export the MyLog into .CSV comma seperated format for viewing in MS Access, notepad etc.  The free type comments field is a full part of that .CSV export.

Many thanks, I dont think I made myself 100% clear in my question. I know that i can populate the user comments section with something, for example an "N" if i need it, but I was wondering whether the software could display this field on the screen?

SmartView is probably your best option.  There's no "official" limit to the number of items, so how many do you want to use?  Note that you can use a wild-card on the end of entries, and you can enter FlightIDs and/or Registrations.  For example, I have LOG* to look for all Loganair flights, and G-SAS* to look for all Air Ambulance registrations, G-CH* for coastguard aircraft, etc.....

The SmartView list is held in a text file - D006.dat just as plain text, so very easy to generate from your existing list.

Perfect, thanks for letting me know! That helps a lot.
If you want to see how the software operates, you can download the latest version and simply run it in demonstration mode.
I’ve noticed that there’s a different version number for the 3D version and the non 3D version. Apart from the 3D capabilities, is there anything else different in the 4.03 version? (or whatever the version number is)

When you get a Radabox, best to: …………..
Brilliant, just what I was after..thanks for the info.

Thanks

Chris

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 10:27:49 AM »
Chris

I dont think you can get the N to display on screen.  A new aircraft will populate with a * if you do a report however.

V3.13 is the latest non 3D version and there is no difference other than it doesnt do 3D

I would also add that if you use a 64bit version of windows, to download the 64bit drivers.

Alan

chrisd282

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:32:49 AM »
perezoso
Would it not be better to pm chrisd282, or maybe your making a statement.?

Oh he did send me a PM as well..!

Chris

I dont think you can get the N to display on screen.  A new aircraft will populate with a * if you do a report however.

V3.13 is the latest non 3D version and there is no difference other than it doesnt do 3D

I would also add that if you use a 64bit version of windows, to download the 64bit drivers.

Alan

Thanks for the info about the software.

Are the 64 bit drivers not included on the CD that comes with the box? Do i just download the ones that are on the support site and then install those before i install anything else?

Runway 31

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »
Ignore the troll.

The disc that comes with the kit was done before Windows 7 and doesnt have 64 bit drivers on it. Download the drivers from the support page and install before plugging anything in. 

Alan

eyeinthesky

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 11:33:46 AM »
I thought so. CHEERS

perezoso
Would it not be better to pm chrisd282, or maybe your making a statement.?

Oh he did send me a PM as well..!

Chris

I dont think you can get the N to display on screen.  A new aircraft will populate with a * if you do a report however.

Alan

Thanks for the info about the software.

Are the 64 bit drivers not included on the CD that comes with the box? Do i just download the ones that are on the support site and then install those before i install anything else?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:36:40 AM by eyeinthesky »
Using the Canon 10x30 IS Binoculars with Image Stabilisation, Brilliant job on a clear day.

ACW367

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »

When you get a Radabox, best to:

1. Download the latest version of the software, from http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/support.html

2. Download the latest navdata database, which contains the most up-to-date aircraft registration details, etc.

After that, any new aircraft registration details are downloaded automatically by Radarbox, so the only time you'll need to update is if a new version of the software is released.

There are a couple of additional items you will require to be fully up to speed.  You will want to also locate the following that are scattered around various forum threads and have no central location:

• There are a number of seperate threads regarding updated country flags and the associated DAT file.
  • Rod Bearden and others compile logos and outlines that are available in a more consolidated form on their third party websites.
  • There is also a number of seperate threads regarding the status and supply of silhouettes and 3D models.

chrisd282

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 01:36:32 PM »
Ok, so when/if i get my new box, i need to update:

1. The 64 bit drivers (as im on windows 7 64 bit)
2. The latest radarbox software
3. The latest navdata database, which i believe contains reg's etc.
4. Country flags (or the dat files, I#m going to have to look in the forum to see exactly what this is..)
5. Logos and outlines (again, a bit of research needed)
6. Silhouettes...dont know if a dat file goes with those, but again, i'll have a nosey around the forums.

phew!
Is there some sort of "Getting started" page that I've missed? I admit I might not have gone through the forums and the website a lot, im just keen to know all the info required.
thanks for all your help though, much appreciated.

Chris

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 01:47:07 PM »
Ok, so when/if i get my new box, i need to update:

I wouldn't say you need to update all this.  The latest software comes complete, most of these are "nice-to-have" updates.

1. The 64 bit drivers (as im on windows 7 64 bit)
YES

2. The latest radarbox software
YES

3. The latest navdata database, which i believe contains reg's etc.
YES

4. Country flags (or the dat files, I#m going to have to look in the forum to see exactly what this is..)
Not necessary.  I would say the ones that come with the software are 97% complete.  See latest at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5797

5. Logos and outlines (again, a bit of research needed)
Not necessary.  The software comes with thousands of logos already, and many airfields have outlines already.
Logos - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5404.0
Example of using outlines - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2897

6. Silhouettes...dont know if a dat file goes with those, but again, i'll have a nosey around the forums.
Not necessary.  The software comes with hundreds of silhouettes already.

You can add these "nice-to-haves" as and when you think you would like them, and I'm sure we can help when you need it.

Also, I just tested using the SmartView with over 3000+ aircraft registrations, and Radarbox handles it okay, so this would definately work for your "I need" list.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:51:42 PM by tarbat »

chrisd282

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »
Tarbat, Thanks for the information. When/if i get the new box, then i'll certainly look into whether i need to update them or not. If you say that the mjority of them are fine, then obviously i wont need to update them.

No doubt I'll be back with some more questions...

Cheers again,
Chris

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 01:57:52 PM »
Also the latest user-provided bits can normally be found at http://rodb.gofreeserve.com/RadarBox/Downloads.htm

ACW367

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 04:55:45 PM »
Tarbat, Thanks for the information. When/if i get the new box, then i'll certainly look into whether i need to update them or not. If you say that the mjority of them are fine, then obviously i wont need to update them.

No doubt I'll be back with some more questions...

Cheers again,
Chris

The main thing with what Tarbat describes as being nice to haves is that like the Navdata contained in the box, they are over 3 years old.  The highlighted areas will give you the updates that have been created for the last few years and will give you a similar level of information currency as you currently have with your SBS.  Of course with a much better visual presentation :)

For example the threads contain Bermudan flags for the VQ-B batches that were not in existence three years ago.  The version that comes with the box gives these batches UK flags.  Rod will also have created logos for airlines that did not exist three years ago, and the same for airport outlines where new runways have been built and opened.  Silhouettes are also around for new types that have been built or allocated new ICAO codes in the last few years like B748.

You asked if ' there some sort of "Getting started" page that I've missed?'.

There is not but it has been highlighted to Airnav previously that this would be useful.  Even if it was just a sticky post highlighting to new users the links to the most relevant up to date exe files, and forum threads.

Regards
ACW367