AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox resets itself to share on the network with each launch?  (Read 15602 times)

perezoso

Question:

For reasons discussed elsewhere, I have repeatedly unchecked the "share data on the network" box in my preferences and applied the change.  Yet several times after I have restarted the RadarBox application, I find that network sharing has been re-enabled through no action of my own.

Is this a bug in my preferences file, or is this a programmed behavior by the RB application?

bratters

Re: RadarBox resets itself to share on the network with each launch?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:36:48 PM »
The default setting is "share data" so you need to uncheck the box every time if you do not wish to share.

perezoso

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »
I can't believe that's really true... but I'm worried that it might be.

You're telling me that I can't permanently set my radarbox software to not share on the network? 

If I can't effectively turn my sharing off, then I definitely want AirNav to give me free network access.  Or for them to immediately fix this bug. 

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »
Its not a bug its designed that way.

You can turn it of, it must however be done each session.  I am sure you can remember as it is so important to you.

Alan

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 02:39:26 PM »
Hi Perezoso, this has been raised many times and AN will not alter it (if they did they'd lose a lot of the info we all feed into the network, which they then want to sell back to us).   I'm sure that somewhere on the Radarspotters site, there is some code you can enter into the RB start up sequence on your own PC that will disable the default, but being a computer numpty, I've know idea how to use it.  Also, until my network sub runs out next month, I've been using other contributors' data, so feel it's only right to share mine, but don't know if I'll take up another sub, especially when it's 5 mins delayed, and I can't justify paying the extra cost for real-time. I hope this helps, and if I can find the post with the code, I'll post the link.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

perezoso

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 07:20:10 PM »
Wow.  I find that extremely annoying.  I also frankly wonder if it is legal, at least here in the US.  

It's certainly unethical - a deceptive practice.  You set it not to share and save your selection; but then it comes back - like a member of botnet or some sort of trojan - and resets itself to feed AirNav's computers, in all likelihood without the knowledge of many of the people who are feeding.  

The purpose of preferences, after all, is to allow a user to set their preferences.

AirNav, what do you say about this?  

I say that I will look into the legality of your business practices if this does not change.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 07:32:35 PM »
We tend to receive these comments from time to time and almost always from the same users. We are already getting PMs from several forum members regarding these kind of posts.

Our answer is quite simple: the way this feature works will remain as it is and we have no plans to change it. RadarBox Network is by far the world biggest ADS-B/Mode-s network and will continue to be and, taking in account the number of new subscriptions we continue to get the interest in the network feature continues to grow.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 07:34:21 PM »
We have just removed a post. We do not allow links to any pages where our software is cracked.

Also this topic has discussed in depth before, please have a search of the forum.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »
Hi ANSupport, my apologies for posting the link.
Jon
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

gary.nichols

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »
We tend to receive these comments from time to time and almost always from the same users. We are already getting PMs from several forum members regarding these kind of posts.

Our answer is quite simple: the way this feature works will remain as it is and we have no plans to change it. RadarBox Network is by far the world biggest ADS-B/Mode-s network and will continue to be and, taking in account the number of new subscriptions we continue to get the interest in the network feature continues to grow.

Taking into account the number of new subscriptions, surely you will be able to  offer a more reasonable price for the Realtime network. The present rate is just short of 12000 Euro per 100 subscribers for a year.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:17:12 PM by gary.nichols »

eyeinthesky

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 11:09:41 PM »
Do what i did buy a good dedicated aerial, get it as high as possible i get over 200miles and its a one off payment, its better than paying £70 a year for RadarBox Network
Delayed (Network data delayed 5 minutes) program.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:13:09 PM by eyeinthesky »
Using the Canon 10x30 IS Binoculars with Image Stabilisation, Brilliant job on a clear day.

Marinus

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 02:00:39 PM »
Hello all,

My first step after starting RB is to uncheck "Share Filght Data" because in my
opinion it is the ultimate scam around. We  (the radarbox users) deliver airnav
the data for free and they sell it back to us for a price that is outrageous.

In early days there at least was a feature that if you uploaded a number of hours
you'd get a few hours network data for free, but as the network grew they
convienantly stopped that.

So my advice - simply uncheck after each RB start.

Marinus.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
Marinus,

Search the forum to why we have to charge, its not a case as you simply put it. There is servers, bandwidth, and support costs that have to be paid.

Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 04:26:11 PM »
Hello

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and can do what they wish with their set up but i have to say that i think the network is actually a very interesting feature to have. I know that we have to pay for the network but really there is not many hobbies and interests that cost nothing after the initial outlay and it is entirely the individuals decision if they feel their interest warrants this payment.
The first year is free and individuals can use that year to decide what they prefer and if it means sharing with others then you get benefit from the other people sharing back.
You also get access to database and free logos.  Even though most of these are done by volunteers that is what a hobby is all about-enjoying it and discussing with other enthusiasts.

On top of that you get real time flight number info and any software upgrades free also.

You also have to remember Airnav have overheads too-cost of servers for network so if they didn't charge for network they would make a loss and then it wouldn't be sustainable.

This is just my opinion and think my life would be much more boring without my radarbox (and network).

Andrew

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 05:23:18 PM »
Well put Andrew

I think your mention of most hobbies having costs after the initial outlay is very valid - most enthusiast databases/resources still charge the end user for updates/data sharing irrespective of where/who provides the data in the first place.

I'm still somewhat amazed that this topic attracts so much attention - after all, it takes all of a couple of seconds to switch off the data share option - big deal??

Alternatively,if people can't see past this, just use your box without an internet connection, so you're sending nothing nowhere?

Life's too short for god's sake!