anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Only one photo downloading  (Read 14808 times)

ACW367

Re: Only one photo downloading
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 04:18:30 PM »
So why on earth would anyone in the database update team be willing to update the LK and LK2 fields if they know that the thumbnails will be out of sync, thus breaking airliner.net T&Cs.  Madness (in my opinion).  Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Because the idea is Airnav fix the damn bug. Such that the thumbnails provided to users are exactly the ones from the Updater/Navdata LK and LK2 fields which have had our human eye cast across them.  This will make sure it is always the correct aircraft and we can subsequently change the links if it is not.

Currently it does not work this way and we have let airnav know many times.  Although in the past my posts reporting the bug appear to have been misinterpreted as 'updaters selecting wrong photo again'

This was my last attempt to explain it to Airnav
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5633.msg60574#msg60574

Your links really helped me to finally give Airnav clarity on the nature of the bug.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:26:41 PM by ACW367 »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
However, even when (if?) Airnav do finally fix the server routines to get the correct thumbnails, most users will already have thumbnails stored locally that don't match the LK and LK2 fields.

In my opinion, the database team should not have gone ahead with changing LK and LK2 fields without Airnav first fixing the server routines that generate thumbnails.  In the same way that they should not have gone ahead and created aircraft records with duplicate AR fields without Airnav first fixing the ANRB client to cope with duplicate aircraft registrations.

I guess I have no right to comment really, since I wasn't able to join the database update team, so I apologise if what I'm saying upsets the team.  However, as a photographer who has seen his photos misused in the past, I'm angry that photograph copyright and photographer credit are being lost.

ACW367

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
However, even when (if?) Airnav do finally fix the server routines to get the correct thumbnails, most users will already have thumbnails stored locally that don't match the LK and LK2 fields.

In my opinion, the database team should not have gone ahead with changing LK and LK2 fields without Airnav first fixing the server routines that generate thumbnails.  In the same way that they should not have gone ahead and created aircraft records with duplicate AR fields without Airnav first fixing the ANRB client to cope with duplicate aircraft registrations.

I guess I have no right to comment really, since I wasn't able to join the database update team, so I apologise if what I'm saying upsets the team.  However, as a photographer who has seen his photos misused in the past, I'm angry that photograph copyright and photographer credit are being lost.

Tarbat
You are correct in all of the above.  We were given the impression from Airnav that on creating our team in April last year, the responsibility for photos and thumbnails would be a human task performed by us.  When it became clear very early in the process that the links we were creating did not affect the thumbnails users got we informed Airnav for them to correct it. Their response was that it would need a new software version.  We again (in June 2010) asked them to prioritise that.   

Here are quotes from two posts to Airnav from me regarding prioritsing the fixes

June 02, 2010, 09:44:31 pm
Another issue is that data we enter into AI, PT, LK, PT2, & LK2 are not being passed to users when they pick up aircraft for the first time. 
I have recieved a B77L freighter aircraft on my box that I had previously updated correctly on the updater.  It brought in the details I had entered in all the other fields, but for the AT field in database explorer it brought in the incorrect ICAO B77F code and then independently searched Anet for pictures with different picture links added to my local database explorer than the ones I had previously entered into updater.

The most important point is that incorrect ICAO codes are still being passed to users from somewhere other than the Updater.  Users are still getting B77F, BCC7, BKC5 etc that just do not exist in Updater AI fields.

Message 2 June 25, 2010, 12:45:58 pm
Let's use this topic to get a agreed list of priorities for Development when he becomes available again. .............

The priorities I would like to see:
1: Fix bug that stops AI/PT/PT2/LK/LK2 fields populating to users  IMPACT: SERIOUS-Users are still getting old photos and random non-ICAO codes

Neither of these issues unfortunately have seen any progress from Airnav development since June 2010. Both remain in the opinion of the Updater team SERIOUS unresolved bugs.

ACW367

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 05:40:36 PM »

In my opinion, the database team should not have gone ahead with changing LK and LK2 fields without Airnav first fixing the server routines that generate thumbnails. 

Tarbat you have to remember the thumbnail generation process has not changed since the first version, despite Airnav attempting (and failing) to change this with the creating of our team.  Therefore the thumbnails you got prior to April 2010 also bore no relation to the LK fields in any Navdata including the the old 3 year out of date Navdata.  Remember that new box buyers still get that old navdata supplied. 

I seem to be the only one that ever noticed that from the moment I bought the box in 2007 the photo in the thumbnail never ever matched the LK fields in whichever Navdata I was using.  And that even if I manually changed the LK fields it still had bearing on thumbnail selection. 

At least now the LK fields have up-to-date human reviewed Links.  Something the pre April 2010 Navdata did not have.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.

When it became clear very early in the process that the links we were creating did not affect the thumbnails users got we informed Airnav for them to correct it. Their response was that it would need a new software version.

But it wouldn't need a new ANRB client software version.  Just changes to their server routines to deliver the correct thumbnail.  And I wonder if Airnav have permission from airliners.net to host thumbnail images on their own server?

All Airnav need to do is change their server routine that delivers thumbnails to use the approved method:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript' SRC='http://www.airliners.net/photoLink.inc?id=nnnnnnn' TYPE='text/javascript'></SCRIPT>

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 01:55:32 AM »
The situation with "Only one photo downloading" has been corrected and tested. Tks for your patience.

prbflight

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 03:18:10 AM »
Confirmed it is working now but I'm not sure about all the techno stuff that was being discussed further up in this thread.  Thanks.

Paul@cyyb

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 03:34:02 AM »
Both users above have been emailed so we can include their requests in the next released. Tks again for your help.

Team Spirit

• AF1981 A380-800 passing T5 enroute CDG.
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 08:04:31 PM »
Appreciate the update Airnav Dev...makes this system worth having and I'm appreciative of all the fellow members and their inputs too.

Best regards Dave
Best regards Dave.