anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Single Box Network Coverage Areas  (Read 16437 times)

perezoso

Single Box Network Coverage Areas
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:41:28 AM »
Hi All -

My box has been down for a long time; but now I'm finally back.

When I last posted here, my network subscription was just expired.  I didn't renew the subscription, because my box feeds data from a large area that, at least several months ago, was about 90% unique coverage in Central and West Texas.  Once I get this antenna on top of my windmill, heck, we'll be covering a chunk of northern Mexico too.

But I didn't like the idea of AirNav insisting that I pay handsomely to access the network, when I was feeding a nice chunk of unique data.  My thought was, fair is fair, if I give them my unique data, then they should grant me access.

Airnav thought differently.  Has anything changed in this regard? Or is the policy still that it doesn't matter what you contribute, you pay like the next guy - who might have no unique coverage or who may not even have a box?

eyeinthesky

Re: Single Box Network Coverage Areas
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:33:09 AM »
You have to pay like the next guy, correct.
Using the Canon 10x30 IS Binoculars with Image Stabilisation, Brilliant job on a clear day.

Runway 31

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:15:58 AM »
Why should you be treated differently because you think you are unique.  We are all unique in our own way giving at least some coverage that probably no one else is in most areas except for some high density areas.

Alan

perezoso

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 06:57:37 PM »
Actually, at the time, the response of the AirNav people was not "why do you think you are unique".  It was "well, how do we deal with all the people who don't feed anything interesting."

I can see, though, that AirNav continues with its overly-proprietary bent ... I'm not drinking their kool-aid!  Will share data elsewhere.  Once AirNav opens up a little bit, then maybe I'll be back.

Runway 31

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 07:14:27 PM »
Whats interesting to some will be mundane to others.

Alan

superspotter

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
Well I can understand Perezoso's view, after all, you pay a not inconsiderable amount of money for the box in the first place so wouldnt it be more feasable that if you provide the data from wherever you are in the world then Airnav should reciprocate and provide the network data gratis in return?
Personally, the network holds no interest to me whatsoever. I am only interested in what my box is picking up wherever I am using it across the globe.So when my free period expires, I will not be renewing it. But please tell me guys in case I am missing the plot, why would you want to view the network from other boxes anyway, especially in your own area? This is an honest question, not a sarcastic remark!!
My equipment: Airnav mobile antenna stuck outside of the highest hotel window available!
View my pictures at  http://www.flickr.com/photos/superspotter

Runway 31

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:55:45 PM »
I am interested in what is happening in other places, its good to see whats happening elsewhere, if it doesnt float your boat its your choice. its not as if it is forced on you,

You can view whatever you want to either your own data a or you can view what is happening elsewhere, it s good to have a choice.

To share or not to share, to use the network or keep to your own, its up to individual preferences.

Alan

eggplant

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 01:03:16 AM »
FWIW I agree entirely with Perezoso's point. It is worthy of debate.

its not as if it is forced on you,

So far as I can see, nobody has suggested it is "forced" upon users. Let's keep the thread constructive.

Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

eyeinthesky

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 04:24:57 AM »
I think its far to expensive to watch other people give away there data free to airnav, who then sell it back again to you.
Does that sound right to you?.
Using the Canon 10x30 IS Binoculars with Image Stabilisation, Brilliant job on a clear day.

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 09:09:27 AM »
Can't wait to see how this "data sharing" transfers over to the MLAT debate,when/if (obviously the later being more appropriate) ever comes into the user domain,as I suggest this will create a whole new perspective on the subject?

To be honest, I can see both sides of the argument.

To some extent,and whilst not wanting to "cross-threads",this week we've seen another useful,accurate,upto date database provider enter the market - however ,like most providers of such info, to be regularly kept up to speed with changes and new additions to the data set, there's a relitavely nominal subscription charge to be paid, which I think is reasonable.

If on the other hand, you're contributing to something by providing information, then it does seem strange to have to subscribe to gain maximum effect from it, by being able to access the network

But........is this actually any different from most other enthusiast run groups, whereby a hell of a lot of members provide relevant information for the use of other subscribers ( for example information as to the current airworthiness of aircraft/spotting logs suggesting changes as to where the aircraft may now reside/new aircraft details etc etc),and still pay for the "privalege"?

Maybe what's needed is a good close look at the cost of joining the network,and being a compulsory provider of data, based on good old supply and demand - as the more people subscribing and sharing then the better coverage would presumably become?

To make it more affordable in the current financial climate would be sensible, and in turn possibly advantageous to subscribers,whilst still providing revenue to AirNav (which after all,let's not forget is what the real reason obviously is ,as to why it's at a price).

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:11:47 AM by Marpleman »

Runway 31

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 09:26:01 AM »
I am keeping the discussion constructive.  When deciding which model of receiver to purchase like everyone else I looked at all the costs associated with each model not just the baseline purchase cost.

I knew what the annual costs would be and decided that the Radarbox suited me from what I wanted from the box, its initial purchase price and any annual additional running costs for the options I wanted.

I agree that individuals who give their data should receive a discount but I also knew what I was getting into when I opted to buy the box and take the network.  Each individual is free to make the choice appropriate to them using whichever baseline they like.

Individuals can opt out of providing the data and can quite freely use other options to see network traffic such as Planeplotter if that is their want.  As has been stated a lot of users are more than happy just looking at their own particular area, that decision could be altered if the costs associated with network provision were reduced and this could also be beneficial to Airnav if more users then shared data, especially when Mlat coverage is considered.

The thread is about someone wanting discounted network because in his view he could provide unique data and my view is that we all in most cases provide unique data and we should all pay the same.   Going onto the cost of network is thread drift which has been covered extensively previously and it is up to each individual to decide whether the costs are agreeable to them or not.  If the cost is not there are other options out there which may be more suitable for some.

You have the purse strings and can make the choice appropriate to you.

Alan

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 10:05:51 AM »
I'm sure when I bought my RB two years ago there was mention that you would get 30 mins network usage for every hour of data provided.
Terry

That would work a treat - leave you're box on sharing over night for say ten hours,or whilst at work,and then "use" your credits at the weekend/early evening/holidays - sounds like a winner to me!!

Now ,all we need is a team of volunteers, to man the network "info providers credits" database!!!

No offence intended Terry - to be honest it does sound like an plausable AirNav alternative?

;-)

Runway 31

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 10:09:22 AM »
Not much traffic about at night but the idea of credits is appealing.

Alan

Chris11

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 10:10:33 AM »
But please tell me guys in case I am missing the plot, why would you want to view the network from other boxes anyway, especially in your own area? This is an honest question, not a sarcastic remark!!
Hi Superspotter
I think you are coming from the viewpoint of a person in a small, flat country that has high volumes of traffic.
Take it from my perspective. I live in South Africa in one of the smaller cities. On an average day I have 30 aircraft in my log, of which about 5 or 6 will have ADS-B. There are only 60 locally registered aircraft with ADS-B. The country is about 10 times the size of the UK. Because of mountainous terrain the range of Radarbox is low. We have about 8 Radarboxes in the country and about we have 3 cities where information is sent to the network. I therefore have my map set up so that I can see the whole of South Africa. If I switched off the network I would be staring at a blank screen. To me network aircraft keep me alive. Without them I might as well sell the Radarbox and find another hobby.

I accept that supplying info to the network is a personal choice and some have an objection to supplying information that they perceive is "sold" AirNav. I see it differently - I supply information free to the network and hope that others will as well so that I have something to look at.

Because of my unusual location I also add as much as I can to the database update project. We can add some registrations to those unknowns that originate in Africa.

What is interesting to me is that bandwidth in South Africa is of the most expensive in the World. To connect to the internet I need to pay about  for a 364K line the equivalent of GBP275 (using the Big Mac index) and 1 Big Mac per Gig. Despite this we South Africans are prepared to share. I do not understand why people in developed countries have such a big issue with sharing data. The cost is minimal, especially where people have a fixed fee for bandwidth regardless of use.

Sharing is a personal issue, based on your own perceptions and beliefs but all I ask is that you think of people like me.

Thanks for listening

Runway 31

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 10:44:34 AM »
Never heard of it before Terry but if someone can provide a link please do so.

Alan