anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yet another antenna question.....  (Read 4372 times)

superspotter

Yet another antenna question.....
« on: February 16, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »
......but this one concerns the provided indoor/mobile example!
OK, I have trawled, and I mean trawled almost the entire forum to find answers to my question but having found nothing, I will ask!
Is there a commercially available alternative to the supplid antenna? I find the one supplied rather flimsy and all the reports on this forum about it's connections/rustiness etc dont fill me with any long term confidence. My Airnav was bought for the sole purpose of travelling with and although I keep the antenna in it's original plastic bag in my carry on flight case, even after a couple of months it's starting to show signs of wear, although the kink in the coax is down to me trapping it in one of the hotel windows!
I would like one with the same type of thin coax cable as it makes it much easier to pack, and lighter. Has anybody, God forbid, tried the SBS supplied antenna using a bnc/sma adaptor? Their supplied antenna seems a little sturdier, and shorter but is there a difference in performance using that imposter with the Airnav?
regards clive.
My equipment: Airnav mobile antenna stuck outside of the highest hotel window available!
View my pictures at  http://www.flickr.com/photos/superspotter

bratters

Re: Yet another antenna question.....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
I've got a heavier magmount (more than likely the SBS one you were referring to) fitted with a BNC/SMA pigtail. I bought it for outside work and performance was down on the Airnav supplied, partly due to the additional connectors. It and its cable are as one would expect much heavier/bulkier; OK on car roofs but not really a suitcase item.

I'm surprised the Airnav aerial is wearing. There's not much of them but they seem to bounce and providing they're not exposed to extreme weather, mine have lasted the course very well.

I bought a backup Airnav jobbie - about £20 - and that would be my advice to you. Give the SBS a miss.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:07:41 PM by bratters »

superspotter

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »
Cheers, I am not saying that the supplied antenna is falling apart but after reading all the reports, I am treating with kid gloves rather. I have thought of buying the same antenna as a back up, in case I slam a hotel window without thinking!! but just posed the question in case there was a heavier duty option.
My equipment: Airnav mobile antenna stuck outside of the highest hotel window available!

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:06:05 PM »
Hi Superspotter, I have to agree with bratters, you'll have a job to get a better one than the supplied one.  As you're already aware spares are available from WL&S, if re-wired with a really good quality co-ax with decent screen can also help. The sticky back plastic base cover peels off and the guts can be accessed to solder properly, both mine have been virtually interference fit and soldering made a permanent world of difference, just needs a good quality S/S element! Come on AN, I'll keep nagging till you make one available....................
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »
I agree that the supplied antenna is good - but for travelling you might want to consider this clip-on alternative: http://www.airbandonline.co.uk/kapl_sbs1_aerial_co.htm

Rod
Rod

superspotter

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:39:29 AM »
Thanks Jon & Rod. That clip on antenna looks interesting, wouldnt go in my carry on but could go in the suitcase. I know/ knew Dave who runs airband online when he used to have his shop in Heald green, wonder if I could negitiate a discount!!