anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why can i not see certain planes and why the altitude is incorrect  (Read 6287 times)

jimjam

Hi guys,

I'm new to the whole radabox thing. I was wondering why I can see trails right above my house, say a 747, but it is not showing up on the radar?

Also, I can see trails straight outside my house but on the radar it is showing the plane quite a few centimetres up the screen, which is quite a lot of miles in the air!

Finally, I have been getting planes on screen that read the alltitude -3000 feet for example, whats with the minus and even if it was at 3000 not -3000, it wouldn't be at the right place to be at that height if you see what i mean?

Does anyone know why or have any suggestions to these problems.

Thanks,
Jamie

Runway 31

Re: Why can i not see certain planes and why the altitude is incorrect
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »
Hi Jamie,

1. Do you have your home location set correctly, it needs to be a decimal setting.
2. What is your QNH setting?

ALAN

jimjam

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »
My home location is set correctly, it is a decimal setting and the QNH setting is 800 which is why I am wondering why it is showing planes at -3000 for example. thanks for replying

chewycanes

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:49:21 PM »
Hi

My QNH is set to my nearest airport which is Gatwick which is 1011 at this monent. Do you have it set in Smartview to your local airport.

Brian

jimjam

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:54:55 PM »
Hi,

What do you mean smart view, i'm guessing as i dont know what smart smart view is, then it probably isn't?

chewycanes

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:58:11 PM »
Hi
Next to the Myflight and Network flight button is a smart view button. Press that and select the nearest local airport and tick the autoset qnh button.

Brian

jimjam

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:00:29 PM »
I have just done that, it still is showing minus numbers for the altitudes? very weird?

how come you centre the screen to your nearest airport rather than your house?

Jamie

chewycanes

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »
Hi

Not sure why you still have -ve altitudes .... Did the QNH change and is there airport weather data in the Metar/TAF in smartview.

Not sure why you say you centre the screen to nearest airport as mine is set to my home town. I got the lat & long from the internet and put that into the home location in preference - home station data - lat & long.

Brian

Brian

jimjam

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »
The QNH did change to 1011, but still am getting the -ve altitudes!? i am getting the weather data for london heathrow aswell now. my screen is set to my home location and i also got my long and lat of the internet. never mind about the long and lat, just a bit of confusion. what i really don't understand is y i am getting the -ve altitudes.

Runway 31

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
The best way to get your location is to zoom into your house on Google Earth with the lat/long set to decimal.

Alan

jimjam

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »
I have done that, i dont think it is where i am on airnav thats the problem, i dont understand how it can give negative altitudes a lot of the tiime and how some planes straight above me will not appear on the map. i also dont understant y things right outside my house appear so far away on the map. it is very weird, airnav is really good but it would be even better if i could get these problems sorted out!

Runway 31

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
The reason you have a negative altituse is because you have a setting wrong somewhere.  In the preference/Radarbox tab try setting the QNH to 1013 in transitional altitude to see if that helps.

The aircraft that you cant see on the screen, do they have a globe beside them?  This shows they are ADSB equipped, if they are not they wont show on the screen.

Re your location, is the long setting a minus setting if not try that also.

Alan

chewycanes

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 05:34:33 PM »
Had a quick search in this forum for previous problems with -ve altitude and it was due to incorrect QNH.

May be worth just re-booting the box to make sure it starts with the local airport QNH.

If no change i am at  loss and you may need to ask support.

One other thing you mentioned was overflight that are not on your map. As Alan stated  some a/c do not give the full ModeS data so they appear in the Mylog without the blue globe next to them and do not appear on the map. Only those giving full ModeS data that then have the blue globe next to them will appear on the map.

Brian

jimjam

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 05:38:51 PM »
Thanks Alan and Brian, the altitude is good now, my longitude has a minus and i didn't understand what you meant by "do my aircraft have a globe beside them". the aircraft above me should have modeS as they are 747, a340's, 777 and are run by big airlines like Lufthansa and BA but more lufthansa

thanks for the help,

Jamie

Runway 31

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »
Between tracked and the flight status there will be a blue globe if it is ADSB equipped.  Not all airliners are so equipped, ie Delta dont.