AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Should I keep mine or not?  (Read 5011 times)

NF2G

Should I keep mine or not?
« on: February 08, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
My tax return should arrive soon and I am thinking about selling my RadarBox and obtaining a different model.  The main issue is multilateration.

The development team has been dropping hints about an upcoming update, but somewhat vague about specifics.  I need a direct answer - Will my RadarBox become capable of multilateration via the PlanePlotter network?  If so, when will this become available?

DaveG

Re: Should I keep mine or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:02:57 PM »
Somehow I do not think you'll get any answer to that from Airnav, they have made it clear that answer will not be given, or at least not until much closer to a release date, which again no one knows and could be months away if not a year.

But a little answer from me, you can get Mlat on PlanePlotter when using the Radarbox, what you can't get is Free Service as Radarbox can't be a Ground Station. so you can pay (think its £12) per year to obtain Mlat that is supplied by others PP members boxes that are capable mlat boxes.

Also unless I read one of Airnav's post wrong, their Mlat solution will be for their network only, how this will work on third party networks (if at all) would be totally unclear until its release.

I'm sad that Airnav can't just put peoples minds at reset and give a little detail, that may stop all the speculation, questions and issues arising from the unclear position they have created by saying this will come, but nothing else!  I'm sure a simple statement could be made that does not give competitors any advantages, since three of them already provide mlat !

So don't expect any answer that answers you questions !
Cornwall, UK

Runway 31

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:11:31 PM »
You dont need any box to see multilateration just use Planeplotter.  I use Radarbox and Planeplotter, just pay the small annual fee and thats it.

Alan

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:05:54 PM »
And even display the results of multilateration in Radarbox 3D.
See http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4578

€37 for Planeplotter and Multilateration is probably a lot cheaper than selling your Radarbox and buying a different receiver.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:14:53 PM by tarbat »

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:24:04 PM »
Hello

Have you checked the Planeplotter user charts to see if there are enough MLAT sharers near Albany or you will not be able to view aircraft by MLAT, even if you change your receiver. 

Andrew
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:25:52 PM by orkney »

NF2G

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 04:11:41 AM »
I've been using PlanePlotter for almost as long as I've had the RadarBox.  My coverage now overlaps stations in Canada, Massachusetts, and on Long Island.

I plan to provide data for MLAT, not just leech it off others on the PP network.  I cannot do that with a RadarBox.  It seems as if I never will be, so I guess it's time to switch brands.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:18:39 AM »
I've been using PlanePlotter for almost as long as I've had the RadarBox.

So you've already paid for Planeplotter, why not simply pay the $16 to get MLAT as well?  A lot cheaper than buying new hardware.

Runway 31

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:17:44 AM »
Seems like you have made up your mind, its your 7-800 bucks to do with it as you wish to support Planeplotter.

Alan
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:01:38 PM by Runway 31 »

NF2G

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 02:53:24 PM »
Seems like you have made up your mind, its your 7-800 bucks to do with it as you wish to support Planeplotter.

Alan

I hadn't made up my mind until it became crystal clear that AirNav has no interest in this particular upgrade.

Your comment about the money is misleading.  The Aurora doesn't cost nearly that much, even in weak U.S. dollars.

Runway 31

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »
Wasnt thinking about the Aurora, but still your choice. Its your money and its up to you how you spend it.

I think its clear Airnav intend to do Mlat but I also think its clear they will do the solution that suits them and not planeplotter and it looks like via their network not planeplotter.

I have planeplotter, i pay my very small annual  fee and I am happy with the Mlat I get with that.  I could even integrate it into Radarbox as per Tarbat if I wished but am happy the 2D display.

Horses for courses I guess.

Enjoy whatever way you decide to go.

Alan