anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where now for AirNav and other systems?  (Read 12925 times)

Vector

Re: Where now for AirNav and other systems?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 10:16:54 AM »
I am glad I read Airnavs post yesterday about the planned projects I would have felt mifted if I had purchased today then read about it.

If I get a response to say what is planned for 2011 will work with the existing platform then I will go and buy one as planned.

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »
The RadarBox database problems will be sorted out as soon as ShipTrax software development finishes (ShipTrax will be released in mid April and the software will be ready a long time before that).

Does this mean the database architectural problems will be worked on after ShipTrax software development finishes,or will this just be the release of a new database with the same problems pulling info back from the server??

I suppose a new navdata file that reflects the updaters hard work would at least hopefully be a start over the next couple of months???

If it merely means that development work will start on existing issues after ShipTrax software is launched, then where does this leave us?

I work for a large US semiconductor manufacturer who make and sell both analogue and discrete chips - I see both sides of the business progressing with new ideas,upgrades and  challenges at the same time.
I'm not so sure our analogue customers would remain too pleasured with having to wait for work to be completed on the discrete side of the business before ongoing old issues were adressed with the analogue product!

Admittedly, it's all down to economies of scale,and available resource, but frankly I don't care a jot about ShipTrax, and can't for one moment believe the market for maritime enthusiasts is anywhere as expansive as that of RadarBox - maybe I'm wrong?

However, if I knew there were five ground breaking developments awaiting with a product i used, on an existing platform, without the need to re-purchase the hardware, I'd at least expect to be put in the picture as to what, or at least if they included a new working, reliable database, and an already available "add-on" (and I use the term carefully!) such as MLAT, then I would be very much more interested.

Until a more commercial announcement is made as to the strategy of the product, then I can't blame anyone from hedging their bets and keeping hold of their money?

The problem is, customers have a tendancy to shop elsewhere, as we all know that money burns a hole in peoples pockets???

Vector

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 07:30:21 PM »
The RadarBox database problems will be sorted out as soon as ShipTrax software development finishes (ShipTrax will be released in mid April and the software will be ready a long time before that).

The problem is, customers have a tendancy to shop elsewhere, as we all know that money burns a hole in peoples pockets???

You are correct with that statement, I was going to wait but I have already started looking elsewhere. It's a shame really I was so interested in the Radarbox.

DaveG

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »

However, if I knew there were five ground breaking developments awaiting with a product i used, on an existing platform, without the need to re-purchase the hardware, I'd at least expect to be put in the picture as to what, or at least if they included a new working, reliable database, and an already available "add-on" (and I use the term carefully!) such as MLAT, then I would be very much more interested.

Very much agree with your comment Rich, if only Airnav could see how much respect they could gain by explaining what those five projects are and more important if new hardware would be required.  No need for any great detail or release dates, we know projects can slip and require more time.

Cornwall, UK

binky

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 09:46:52 AM »
I've had no reply to my earlier post regarding forthcoming radarbox purchase so I assume Support are on holiday

bratters

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 10:10:40 AM »
I've had no reply to my earlier post regarding forthcoming radarbox purchase so I assume Support are on holiday

Don't think so binky - they were on here talking about 3D buttons yesterday and they are normally very responsive to prospective customers.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »
We aren't on holiday binky :) no such thing for support.

Firstly a few of the posters in this thread (and another started this weekend) have been temporarily not been allowed to post until they explain why they have two accounts on the forum and why they are claiming to be new customers interested. We suspect some foul play here, till they are answered we won't be allowing them to post.

Regarding our projects, we would absolutely love to tell you what we have planned the exact details etc..  but it doesn't make commercial sense. Any sort of advancement of a project when it is released has a commercial advantage over another product or competitor.  We would not want to loose this advantage by saying xyz will be released in six months while our competitors use those six months to catch up.

As enthusiasts and customers of other products we understand that you want to know what is around the corner but as a business you have to understand we cannot disclose them. Vast majority of companies won't disclose there new products until very close to there release date. This is the method we are following as well.

binky regarding your question, as above we cannot disclose those details, however we are company which looks after our customers and if an upgrade occurs to any product line being we provide a sensible upgrade deal.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

binky

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 10:35:25 AM »
Thanks for reply. I guess I had better just wait for further announcements on this forum.

bratters

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
Airnav - re Mlat - ignoring for the moment the actual technicalities of whatever system you have in mind, am I right in assuming that in order to pinpoint an aircraft we shall need a minimum of 3 "boxes" in operation simultaneously and in reasonable proximity?

What I'm thinking is that whatever the final price is, it shouldn't be so high that we can't get a sufficient number of buyers/users to make the system work - if you see what I mean?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 12:25:53 PM »
bratters,

Yes that is correct and we are aware of that fact. This also does mean that many customers in locations without many RBs around won't see any benefit of MLAT at all.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

bratters

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »
Airnav - yep, understood. Thanks for reply. The sooner the better for me.

PS a thought for you - not knowing the maximum distance apart the boxes will have to be, is it not possible to have some "fixed" 24 hour operational boxes in use, either run by yourselves or maybe "subsidised" in some way?

That would mean you could promote a virtually guaranteed network.

DaveG

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 02:50:41 PM »
bratters,

Yes that is correct and we are aware of that fact. This also does mean that many customers in locations without many RBs around won't see any benefit of MLAT at all.

Then why not just ensure the box can "also" be used with third party mlat options, thus giving the end user greater coverage?

Also

Note your reply above to blinky reference new hardware, would it be too much to ask if "new" hardware will be required?  Were not asking  what that new hardware can do, just if it will be required, no details needed, just yes or no answer is good.
Why will be very sad is if this topic drags out for months (as it already has) only to fine you will need new box. would seem like being strung alone!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:52:46 PM by DaveG »
Cornwall, UK