AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where now for AirNav and other systems?  (Read 12924 times)

E14

Where now for AirNav and other systems?
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
Got me thinking the other day what the next big step is from 3D? After downloading the Flightradar24 app I wondered what new projects might be in the pipeline from AirNav?

1 mile west of EGLC (London city Airport)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Where now for AirNav and other systems?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:41:45 PM »
Many things :)

Thats why we have a hand-full of products releasing this year. Keep posted to this forum for news soon.

Obviously we won't be letting the cat out of the bag till nearer the release dates for each project.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:44:32 PM by AirNav Support »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »
Hi E14 and ANS, sorry but I don't find the 3D option a big step, and have no interest in it at all - just seems very gimmicky to me, but that's just my view and it's a good job we don't all think the same!   Multilateration (using the existing ANRB hardware) is the big one for a lot of us, I believe.   Like a lot of others, I find the continual promises but no action or results, very frustrating and a real spoiler.   As for the "we can't say anything as the competition will know what we're planning" line totally unacceptable and trite.   My Network subscription runs out in April, and I certainly won't be renewing it unless things look up very quickly.   Getting rid of the 5 minute delay network subscription, making the real-time option available at the standard price would be a sweetener instead of making it unaffordable.   I can't see any justification paying out that sort of money for 5 minute delayed then real-time sub on top is over the top in my opinion.   Horses for courses I know!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

eyeinthesky

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 10:51:04 PM »
Hi E14 and ANS, sorry but I don't find the 3D option a big step, and have no interest in it at all - just seems very gimmicky to me, but that's just my view and it's a good job we don't all think the same!   Multilateration (using the existing ANRB hardware) is the big one for a lot of us, I believe.   Like a lot of others, I find the continual promises but no action or results, very frustrating and a real spoiler.   As for the "we can't say anything as the competition will know what we're planning" line totally unacceptable and trite.   My Network subscription runs out in April, and I certainly won't be renewing it unless things look up very quickly.   Getting rid of the 5 minute delay network subscription, making the real-time option available at the standard price would be a sweetener instead of making it unaffordable.   I can't see any justification paying out that sort of money for 5 minute delayed then real-time sub on top is over the top in my opinion.   Horses for courses I know!

Agreed CoastGuardJon i have no 5 minute delay i see now its not worth it.
Fred
Using the Canon 10x30 IS Binoculars with Image Stabilisation, Brilliant job on a clear day.

bratters

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:58:06 AM »
Good post CoastguardJon which closely reflects my views as well.

While I agree that Multilateration would be desirable, my priority would be for the databases to be sorted out. I honestly can't see how much longer we can go on without getting those back on track and then ensuring they are regularly updated.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 11:10:26 AM »
Feature preferences always depends on the type of user: some users prefer the MyLog feature / Databases, others the network and it being real-time and some other the graphical aspect of the software / 3D (BTW RadarBox 3D sales are higher than RadarBox Pro).

Regarding further developments: we understand some users get impatient but one more time we confirm that we are involved in 5 different projects for 2011. We can't disclose any details for now unfortunately and we understand your frustration because of this. The RadarBox database problems will be sorted out as soon as ShipTrax software development finishes (ShipTrax will be released in mid April and the software will be ready a long time before that).

One more time be patient as 2011 will be a great year for this hobby: we will never stop working and developing new systems but it takes time, a lot of investment and effort to have something ready.

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:39:05 AM »
Totally agree with Bratters

Cannot disagree with either MLAt or an updated database.

The database is and always will be an issue -  until a service is provided either professionally or (as is of now) voluntarily, whereby at least quarterly or preferably in my mind ,monthly updated navdata files are issued.

When I was involved in the Updater team, the suggestion of asking users to request database updates via this forum was spawned - as a temporary measure initially. I don't think any of the team expected this to still be effectively the only medium to address this issue so many months down the line, with still no fix or revised file being issued.

I don't believe I'm speaking out of turn on this or being anyway disrespectful to the other guys in the team, but some closure is needed on this.

We hear of the possibility of new database files becoming available, but I still can't believe the real annoying issues which the team continually have to "bat away" regarding ICAO/silhouettes/photos seems no nearer completion??

I think there is a resignation from many users ,to use other databases which supplement the current situation, so although the info on their screen is not accurate, they are still able to deduce what the upto date info for the aircraft is?

To have a database two years at least out of date on such a product is ridiculous, and it's ridiculous that we're still debating all this.

MLAT, for me is a much much attractive addition, and I would personally put it ahead of the database in so far as product development, especially given my earlier point on reliance on other product for an accurate database.

Given the possibilities of MLAT being incorporated within similar competitior products, it will be interesting to see where this goes with RadarBox.

It's encouraging to hear of "five different products" being considered, but we all know the major gripe is the database - so why can't we get a fix, given all the hard graft that's been undertaken, rather than wait and wait and wait???

Vector

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 06:43:54 PM »
As a prospective purchaser of Radarbox Pro will the new projects require new hardware or work with the existing Radarbox?

I would not want to make a purchase today and find in a few weeks/months it was incompatible with any new release planned for 2011.

binky

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »
I'm also looking to buy Radarbox Pro but I'm concerned,after trawling through various forum threads, that if I do so in the next few weeks the unit will not be suitable for any possible 2011 releases.
I'm particularly interested in Mlat capability. Could someone please at AirNav re-assure me that my purchase will not be in vain.

Henning

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 11:21:02 PM »
I'm also disappointed about the long time it takes for Airnav to provide updates which correct simple bugs in their software. Last July I told them about a bug in the Radarbox3D-Software. The altitudes of the aircraft are interpreted as meters instead of feet for the 3D visualization. It's just a simple multiplication which they would have to add in the software and they could provide a path.
But nothing has happened for half a year. This bug is still an open point in the list of known bugs (www.airnavsystems.com/bugs).
So I'm not sure if I would buy a Radarbox again.

Vector

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 08:16:23 AM »
I was to make my purchase today but will now hold off because £400 is a lot to pay if the hardware is not compatible with future updates proposed during 2011.

Paying for a software upgrade I would accept if necessary, but not if that meant my hardware would no longer be compatible.

I need some reassurance from the Airnav team although I don't need to know what features they are planning. I don't want to shell out £400 for an old model if a newer one is around the corner.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:18:06 AM by Vector »

Blincodave

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 09:49:23 AM »
I agree completely with Marpleman's post. Radarbox is potentially the best product on the market but the database issue for me is THE critical issue. Until this is resolved properly by the opportunity to download updates on a regular basis, I could not condone anybody purchasing a Radarbox despite my very positive review of the product which I posted on Amazon UK a long time back. BTW, a big thankyou to the work carried out by the updaters - let's hope your efforts are turned into this major enhancement very soon.

Dave

Blincodave

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
I was to make my purchase today but will now hold off because £400 is a lot to pay if the hardware is not compatible with future updates proposed during 2011.

Paying for a software upgrade I would accept if necessary, but not if that meant my hardware would no longer be compatible.

I need some reassurance from the Airnav team although I don't need to know what features they are planning. I don't want to shell out £400 for an old model if a newer one is around the corner.

If that happened everybody's RB would have to be replaced. The 'upgrades' will be in the software I would imagine and so will be downloaded to your PC. If I was you, I would be more concerned about a two year old + database.

Dave

Vector

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 10:09:48 AM »

If that happened everybody's RB would have to be replaced. The 'upgrades' will be in the software I would imagine and so will be downloaded to your PC. If I was you, I would be more concerned about a two year old + database.

Dave

Hi Dave

I understand your response but for me software issues can be fixed but if the hardware is not compatible with a future release this year then I feel that what I would have paid if I had purchased today would have been wasted.

I will keep my money in the bank for now and use virtual radar unless Airnav can give me some reassurance. I like the product but not that much I am prepared to lose out ;-)

Darth Radar

• Trust the Dark Side
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »
I agree completely with Marpleman's post. Radarbox is potentially the best product on the market but the database issue for me is THE critical issue. Until this is resolved properly by the opportunity to download updates on a regular basis, I could not condone anybody purchasing a Radarbox despite my very positive review of the product which I posted on Amazon UK a long time back. BTW, a big thankyou to the work carried out by the updaters - let's hope your efforts are turned into this major enhancement very soon.

Dave

I too agree with Dave's sentiments.
The fact that I have had to resort to 3rd party add-ons in order to get a reliable database and FlightDisplayLite route finder makes a lie of the "No third-party apps with hidden costs required. All-in-one package" claim.
Teejay