anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: :)  (Read 25270 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: All I Want for Christmas!!
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »
Interesting that the yahoo group regards the information posted there as copyright.

No, they haven't said that.  I got a PM from some busy-body telling me I should get permission.  I have no idea if there is any copyright over this data, hence my request to anyone who asserts copyright over this data to contact me.

bratters

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 03:43:55 PM »
What the hell, life's too short.  It's back up on my ftp service.  As before, if anyone asserts copyright over this data, let me know and I'll remove it immediately.

Hi tarbart - having trouble with link? could you repeat plese?

John

Bob SEN

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 03:50:56 PM »
ROUTES
34,000+ routes populated with data posted on the Yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PP-logs-and-routes/ and also updated over the last month or so using FDLite feeds from FRL, FlightAware, FlyteCom, FlightStats, Libhomeradar

I have d/l the file from PP-logs-and-routes, Is there a way of importing this data ?.............. Im sure I saw some info on here recently............

regards

Bob
1/2 a mile South of EGMC/SEN

MY PHOTO'S http://www.flickr.com/photos/96219572@N07/

bratters

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »
Link OK tarbat - many thanks. When's visiting day?

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 04:51:52 PM »
Thanks for that Tarbat, although the photos are suspect, as they show different power plants!
Terry

Terry

That's as a result of the photo links not updating correctly. He obviously got an engine upgrade, but the photo isn't available on a.net yet. ;-)

Maybe an opportunity for the photographers to capture a more up to date record over the next few weeks - he was spotted in Stockport shopping precinct last Saturday but I didn't have my camera with me.

On a more serious note..........

I recently had to curtail my role as a database updater due to work commitment totally taking over and preventing my continued help to a level that was of use to the team, so I know first hand how difficult and complicated the process can become.Consequently, I've not followed the board too much over tha past several weeks.

The guys carry out a totally thankless task,as we all know, and even get some ridiculously bad press "elsewhere", not that they're bothered.

IF a new navdata file is released,people need to recognise it will not be complete,or infact hold as many records as other available resources, and will undoubtedly carry the odd inaccuracy.

It will however,I can assure you, be a massive improvement on that shipped with the current software - what we then need to do is collectively continue to assist this process by contributing to the Update thread as Alan previously stated,NOT sit back criticising and bleating on about fixes still not working,and this and that being incorrect.

I think we can all appreciate the hard work the team have undertaken to get even this far on a volunteer basis.

I do know the team will seriously consider what they feel to be most suitable in the interest of the users, be it with or without certain fixes happening/not happening as is the issue at present

Rgds to all

Rich

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 05:45:56 PM »
I have d/l the file from PP-logs-and-routes, Is there a way of importing this data ?.............. Im sure I saw some info on here recently............

I used this SQL to extract the data from the Yahoo group's file, and put it in a format suitable for import into the routes table.

SELECT DISTINCT 
  FlightRoute.flight AS FN,
  substr(FlightRoute.route,1,4) AS NO,
  substr(FlightRoute.route,length(FlightRoute.route)-3,4) AS ND,
  "" AS NV,
  substr(date('now'),1,4) || substr(date('now'),6,2) || substr(date('now'),9,2) || "090000" AS CH
FROM
 FlightRoute
ORDER BY
  FN

Runway 31

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2010, 06:09:55 PM »
I dont think it was you being referred to Terry.

Alan

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 09:31:08 PM »
Terry

you've misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Alan's correct - it wasn't directed at you in an way!

You don't have to look hard to find continual sarcasm directed at the teams work

Basically, all I was saying, was it potentially will give rise to opportunities for people to immediately spend hours sifting through all the records purposefully looking for errors

I'm afraid it's a no-win situation.

If a new file is released, it serves ,the purpose of giving all RadarBox users access to the work the team have undertaken, which will be of great benefit, but also gives others, who in the past have criticised publically , the efforts and "percieved " failings of the update team for lacking information, or making incorrect decisions , in a way that is little short of childish.

If one isn't released, then we're basically no further on, without some serious development work to force the info on the database through.

All this has been said many many times before

I think the idea of releasing regular updated navdata files is a great idea.As has been mentioned before, the majority of enthusiasts databases operate a similar process.

Rich

air7677

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2010, 12:15:10 AM »
but also gives others, who in the past have criticised publically.

You have a very good point well said.
Terry

You don't have to look hard to find continual sarcasm directed at the teams work

Basically, all I was saying, was it potentially will give rise to opportunities for people to immediately spend hours sifting through all the records purposefully looking for errors

If a new file is released, it serves ,the purpose of giving all RadarBox users access to the work the team have undertaken, which will be of great benefit, but also gives others, who in the past have criticised publically , the efforts and "percieved " failings of the update team for lacking information, or making incorrect decisions , in a way that is little short of childish.

If one isn't released, then we're basically no further on, without some serious development work to force the info on the database through.

I think the idea of releasing regular updated navdata files is a great idea.As has been mentioned before, the majority of enthusiasts databases operate a similar process.

Rich

You have a very good point well said.

bratters

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2010, 08:27:05 AM »
Terry

Rich

Hi Rich - reading through the postings and having been around now for over two years myself, the term "friendly fire" comes to mind.

There's a lot of pentup exasperation out there which bubbles up from time to time & the good guys catch a blast from unintentionally ill-directed postings.

Given the situation, it's understandable and the need for all members to try and act in unison and help each other is becoming increasingly  paramount - we all know the score.

Blincodave

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2010, 05:26:55 PM »
Marpleman said:

'IF a new navdata file is released'.

Do you mean that you have some doubt about that actually happening? Surely AirNav can't continue to ship this wonderful product with a 2009 database for much longer?

A few days ago in this thread I asked AirNav why a file could not be made available for download on a regular basis. No reply! I cannot see why the sterling work of the updating team cannot be made available now.

Dave

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2010, 05:30:31 PM »
We are discussing this with the updaters and within the company whether we can release, there are reasons which we mentioned before in earlier posts when this was brought up in the past.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Blincodave

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »
We are discussing this with the updaters and within the company whether we can release, there are reasons which we mentioned before in earlier posts when this was brought up in the past.

Thanks for the reply. Can you point me to the particular thread where this was brought up in the past so that I can understand the reasons you mention?

Dave

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2010, 09:04:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Can you point me to the particular thread where this was brought up in the past so that I can understand the reasons you mention?

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5369.msg53955#msg53955

air7677

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2010, 12:08:31 PM »
My god that was six months ago time does fly's and Dave the rave is still raving lol.