anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Known Unknowns...  (Read 4223 times)

bratters

Known Unknowns...
« on: November 11, 2010, 12:54:38 PM »
There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns; there are things we do not know we don’t know.

Airnav - in a recent posting you said it would be 2/3 months before you got to grips with the routing problem. In the meantime things are getting increasingly bad and the onscreen display this morning was particularly dismal to say the least.

I wonder if it would not be better to abandon attempts to decode alpha-numerices until a guaranteed success rate is available. I suggest this because I find it is more confusing to see completely false details than it is just to leave the routes blank.

For example a random selection onscreen now:
DLH6CJ en route from Cologne to Heathrow over Leeds
DLH7MA en route from Frankfurt to Bucharest over Norwich 
RYR8FJ en route from Manchester to Dublin  over Reading

These are routes that are clearly wrong but there are many others that are not so evident, but nevertheless wrong.

Would it not be better to just to leave things blank rather than show misleading details?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Known Unknowns...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 12:59:20 PM »
Understood bratters, this is going to be looked at in more detail soon to refine this. There are few other issues standing in the way.

Can you confirm that the routes you mentioned were newly created routes in your database (i.e downloaded recentely?)

Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

bratters

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 04:20:33 PM »
Understood bratters, this is going to be looked at in more detail soon to refine this. There are few other issues standing in the way.

Can you confirm that the routes you mentioned were newly created routes in your database (i.e downloaded recentely?)

Both the DLH routes were dated today and the RYR was 17th October this year.

I'm of the opinion that no data is better than false data.

I would like a screen which I know to be 100% accurate even if this means a higher number of flights are routeless. At least I can look up these missing routes if I wish to.

At present while many of my onscreen routes are correct, others are wrong. The problem is I don't know which is which unless/until they become self-evident, as in the above examples.

You're between a rock and a hard place on this but IMO the accuracy of the data is paramount, even if that means limiting the quantity. A substantial number of innacuracies puts the credibility of the whole program in question and, on UK screens at least, we seem to have a surprisingly high number of dodgy routes right now.

shouriken

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 06:20:28 PM »
From my logs, the last time I've seen DLH7MA
3C6DC8 DLH7MA EDDF-LROP D-AKNH A319 Lufthansa Italia 2010/10/30 11:34:24

The route in the database has the timestamp 20101014113429
PS. I'm from Bucharest; I don't remember if I modified the route myself, or it was downloaded from the AirNav server.

Liviu
Liviu
A.net JetPhotos.Net
RadarBox
2xRTL USB + Franklin+Collinear antenna + PlanePlotter

bratters

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 01:16:16 PM »

Both the DLH routes were dated today and the RYR was 17th October this year.

I'm of the opinion that no data is better than false data.

I would like a screen which I know to be 100% accurate even if this means a higher number of flights are routeless. At least I can look up these missing routes if I wish to.

At present while many of my onscreen routes are correct, others are wrong. The problem is I don't know which is which unless/until they become self-evident, as in the above examples.

You're between a rock and a hard place on this but IMO the accuracy of the data is paramount, even if that means limiting the quantity. A substantial number of innacuracies puts the credibility of the whole program in question and, on UK screens at least, we seem to have a surprisingly high number of dodgy routes right now.

Airnav - you asked a question regarding dates which I answered - so what does it all add up to?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 12:05:40 AM »
I have passed them on to our dev team who will investigate. Thanks for your help.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

NF2G

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 03:35:21 AM »
I'm seeing intra-Europe and intra-Asia routes on flights over the east coast of the USA also.

LSZS

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:45:28 AM »
From my logs, the last time I've seen DLH7MA
3C6DC8 DLH7MA EDDF-LROP D-AKNH A319 Lufthansa Italia 2010/10/30 11:34:24

The route in the database has the timestamp 20101014113429
PS. I'm from Bucharest; I don't remember if I modified the route myself, or it was downloaded from the AirNav server.

Liviu
DLH7MA was the summer 2010 callsign from LIMC (not EDDF) to LROP.
This callsign in winter is not over Milano Area
Engadin Airport auf 1707m / 5600ft. Europas höchstgelegener Flughafen
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanobazzi/