AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: airnav should improve routes in North America  (Read 5155 times)

brianmc

airnav should improve routes in North America
« on: October 29, 2010, 03:29:09 AM »
In North America we get a small percent of the planes using ADS_B.

Even worse RadarBox software does not have any or the correct routes I would say for 75% of the planes I see.

Why doesn't AirNav use the curent flight information they have from the FAA data...and create an up to date route list that we could download every once in a while....many of the flights I see have been flying for years on the same routes yet the data is WRONG.

You have the data why not let us use it?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: airnav should improve routes in North America
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:26:40 AM »
This will be done in future versions using FAA data, we also have more planned, don't worry :) expect news soon.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:32:43 AM by AirNav Support »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

CZUL

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »
I'm also in North America. I'm happy to report that more airlines are using ADS-B than when I first got my box. Both Westjet and American Airlines are a lot more visible on domestic routes. I just wish Air Canada would do the same.

flybhx

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »
Just back from a trip to the states. Airtran 737's and Spirit airbuses were plotting most of the time. Continental seem to be a bit of a percentage game. I suspect its the crews that do international routes set everything up as a matter of course even on domestics.

brianmc

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 04:37:59 AM »
westjet flights never have routes because they dont use the full flight number in the ads-b message...thus no routes....but radarbox could easyily  check  to see if it is a westjet plane and then attach the flight number correctly and get a route.

This is one of the reasons I am not impressed with radarbox software and would like to create my own....BUT AirNav will not share the way to decode the data.

But I have my own system setup to do all this...for my own use and get all this in  a format that I want.

I try not to share any of my data to AirNav simply because they charge someone to look at it but will not help me to do what I want to do.

The routes for flights here as provided are NOT even close to the current....as I stated earlier there are flights going over here that have been going over for years and AirNav still does not have the right route....so they have done nothing on this for years.
Now they say they are 'working' at it....well get it done by creating a file that we can put in the mix today.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 08:40:25 AM »
brianmc,

We think you have made some points which we have to address.

1.) "I try not to share any of my data to AirNav simply because they charge someone to look at it but will not help me to do what I want to do."

We have no idea what you mean by this. Any data that you pick up from your RadarBox from your antenna is also sent across the ports 7879 and 30003 and yours to do what you please with.

Network data is totally different, it costs us to run servers to cope with the data and process and it send it back. There has to be charge for this.

2.) "BUT AirNav will not share the way to decode the data."

Respectfully sir, very few of the ADS-B recievers allow this, infact very few products are made for the mass market which allow access to the hardware and allow you to create your own software.

3.) Routes.

- As we have mentioned above and in other posts, this is being looked into in detail and we hope to improve this aspect. This isn't an easy task and we ask for your patience.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

brianmc

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 11:17:29 PM »
LOL, you want me to give you data and then in turn charge others to see it....where is my commission,  I use resources also...it cost be $800 to provide the little data I can collect....where is my return.  Oh ya computer time etc etc.

you see there is a price for me to do this also.

Chris11

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 03:45:48 AM »
brianmc - it is sort of give and take. I supply my data free and I get your  (and/or others data free) I pay AN to supply the system that allows us to share.
I am happy with the deal as I live in a remote area and if I only had my own flights to look at it would be very boring.
I doubt the $800 as I live in a 3rd world country with some of the most expensive bandwidth in the world and I don't spend that much.

jannuh

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »
brianmc - it is sort of give and take. I supply my data free and I get your  (and/or others data free) I pay AN to supply the system that allows us to share.
Where is the free part then?? Just paying for A.N. 's server wouldn't cost that much.

brianmc

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 09:33:13 PM »
Routes ---

I am noticing some improvement of the software picking up routes....that are actually real....not something entered  a long time ago by whomever.

Not sure if Air Nav has done anything different.

a note for the programmers-----having a route table with only 3 spots is not going to do it....I find flights going over that have 3 and even 5 hops....now if you want the data right you have provide the spaces.

--------------------

Back to the cost of a airnav receiver-----mine cost over $700 dollars....plus coax of any quality and it is well over 800.

---------------------

I go back to the days when I was trying to decide whether to buy or not...AirNav's "trial/test software" simply does not allow one to see all the things that do not work for my "wants"....The canned data is no good for showing a North American situation.

---------------------
It should be noted that there are other sites that gather and show ADS-B data from people and charge nothing. If you wish to find them...a google search will get you there.

------------------
I have taken the feed for my box and am plotting the flights on a google map and a few other simple but effective things...now I just need more planes with ADS-B.