AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Database Validation Query ?  (Read 10823 times)

Smudger98

Database Validation Query ?
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »
Hiya folks,

1st post so here goes..

Quick question if i may on this topic..

Does AirNav still have an active contract with GAS ? and do you use GAS as a database populate option ?, Eg. a lookup validation confirmation ?

Thanks in advance,

Smudger.

EK01

Re: Database Validation Query ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:03:38 PM »
Welcome Smudger,

I use amongst others the following sites:

www.airframes.org
www.libhomeradar.org

Smudger98

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:14:36 PM »
Thanks EK01 for the welcome..

I was thinking more inline with the ANRB database.. like you i use those and GAS as well..

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 05:21:51 PM »
Smudger98,

GAS has been working with us for awhile. At present the feed is temporarily turned off to allow the database updaters to update records which need updating. Otherwise it would start overwriting there work in some cases.

Once the database is in a good working order we will allow the GAS link to work again (though the mechanism for this needs to be worked out, we don't want it overwrite correct data)

Hope that explains things.

Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Smudger98

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
Hi Folks..

Many thanks for the prompt response.
It would be great to see a database that gives a good picture of whats really out there and a tie up that you can reply on. As a spotter for many years - the holy grail to me is one that i can rely to be right.

Good luck in your efforts, There is a lot of 50% - 75% - 90% correct ones. to get 95-98% is an admirable target.
Any chance of that with or without the buy in from other resourses.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 03:23:16 AM »
Anything is better than 0% which is what you get with any other system - not sure if you are a SBS user relying on third party addons that do - or don't work and be discontinued at anytime (no aircraft database provided at all in any other Virtual Radar System).

Anyway and to make it clear our team of database updaters is doing a very reliable job and RadarBox is the only Virtual Radar system provided with integrated aircraft database information - over 70K records now.

cessna24v

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:54:59 AM »
Smudger et al,

GAS never had a formal 'contract' with Airnav but did have a non-financial 'gentleman's agreement'. As a result, Airnav used our input until April this year when we had a dialogue about a number of impending changes at GAS.
This coincided with Airnav's idea of forming their own team with which you are familiar. At the end of April we were informed that the new updating team had taken over.
The information we were given is that Airnav directly queried our server only when data was needed (approximately every 15 days).

We have not directly supplied any data since then but lookups are always available from our website.

In the meantime we have made significant technical changes to our DB and access which will be used in some forthcoming updates.

As far as data accuracy is concerned, we strive to maintain quality, currency and coverage but anyone who has been in any way involved in the aircraft data game will know the workload and churn involved, not to mention the lack of, and inaccuracy of, some 'official' data.
It is not unusual for us to update 10000 records per month and our DB holds in excess of 1 million aircraft records.
I am afraid completeness and accuracy will always remain a goal but one that will never be achieved (and that applies to all DBs BTW) so we don't make claims which we cannot substantiate.

And remember, just when you have got it complete, you have to go back and start all over again :-)

Gary

phil zech

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »
Hi All,

I'm a bit confused with this.

Where is the information currently uploaded onto my database from?

I have Real Time Network access, so when a new aircraft appears with just Mode S code , I click on empty space ,  and aircraft details and photo appears.

Am I right in thinking that these details are just coming from Airliners.net , or from Air Nav's database which is currently being updated by the Database Updating team.

Regards

Phil

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 04:41:37 PM »
It comes from the database that the team is working on. The pictures come from airliners.net.
[email protected]

bratters

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »
No
It comes from the database that the team is working on. The pictures come from airliners.net.

Now I'm getting confused as well. You say "aircraft details"  (to quote Phil) come from the database that the team is working on."

I thought that the database team were unable to pass on their data to the average user?  Are you saying that in fact we're actually getting the latest data the team is working on?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 06:37:18 PM »
bratters,

It gets confusing here. Basically if you do not have any aircraft details in your local database of lets say G-BOAF, it will look it up in our online database. The team has been working through this database and if they have checked this record you will get the correct details back.

However if its already in your local database you may have a incorrect record or if the record in the online database hasn't been checked it may be incorrect. Visa versa your local database on your machine might already be correct.
[email protected]

bratters

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
Well at least we agree that it's confusing :) but then I am both computer illiterate and old so confusion is only to be expected.

Looking at your statement

"basically if you do not have any aircraft details in your local database of lets say G-BOAF, it will look it up in our online database. The team has been working through this database and if they have checked this record you will get the correct details back"

OK I think I've got that. So, would I be correct in thinking therefore that if I have no aircaft in my local database, everything that comes along will be updated?

And if so, would it therefore be possible to simply delete my local database and start afresh?

Chris11

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »
As far as I can see it is the existence of a picture of the aircraft in your data/photo directory
So if you have no info for G-BOAF but have a picture then nothing will happen. Go in and delete the picture and click on that aircraft and the info will refresh from the network. So - if you want all info to refresh - delete the contents of data/photo

bratters

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 08:33:40 PM »
Thanks Chris - that I can cope with. Let's see what happens.

Chris11

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 06:17:22 AM »
I do it on a selective basis. If something about the flight looks wrong, eg if the Flight ID does not tie up with the Company name or the picture of the aircraft shows a King Air and the aircraft is a C25B then I will go and delete the pictures of that specific aircraft and let it repopulate from the server. It is a bit of a pain in the butt but after doing it for about 3 weeks I now have very few aircraft that look out of line. This is for all aircraft on the network, not just my local aircraft.