AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UBC800 XLT Scanner  (Read 9870 times)

dca

UBC800 XLT Scanner
« on: October 23, 2010, 09:09:08 PM »
Hello All,

Forgive me for using this forum to discuss another product completely but I know I will get help here!
I got one of these scanners yesterday and am just working my way through the manual. The lead that connects to the PC though is a female plug and not the same format as the plug on the back of my PC even if it was male.
Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get something to connect the scanner to my PC (a USB connector perhaps?)
Would appreciate any help (and any good tips on using this unit)
Thanks,
Dave
9 nm south of LGW

DaveG

Re: UBC800 XLT Scanner
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:33:11 PM »
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 09:34:47 PM by DaveG »
Cornwall, UK

dca

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 09:35:55 PM »
Brilliant, thanks a lot Dave!
9 nm south of LGW

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »
Hi Dave, the cable included with my 800XLT has a very small connector which goes into the small hole on the RHS of the front panel of the scanner, but the connector for the PC is a serial type, not USB, if your computer hasn't got a serial socket (and a lot don't these days) you need to buy one from the link DaveG supplied - I had to go this route, and asked if they'd do a reduced price for supplying a lead and the full software program.   This they did, about 15 euros less than buying separately, and I think they then added a package deal to their web-site.

It's a fantastic scanner, but so complicated and so many bells and whistles, I'm still trying to get to grips with it - superbly clear audio and no background white noise when not receiving a signal.

HTH
Jon
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:14:31 AM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:48:29 AM »
I would strongly recommend using bctools to program and control this scanner.  I struggle to do any programming of my UBC800XLT without bctools - and it's freeware for the non-professional version.

http://www.bctool.org/

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »
Hi Chris, it is the bctools CD I was referring to, but didn't make it clear, so thanks for that!   I hope and trust everything's good with you.   Just looked at the web-site and see they now have Basic and Pro, not sure which I've got, so will have to check!

When I ordered I think the choice was ARC800 "Lite", or "Pro" which is the one I went for, with a USB lead.   Without this the programming is a PITA!!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 05:10:46 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

dca

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
Thanks to CCJ & Tarbat,

I'm glad it isn't just me that was finding the unit difficult to work through. I have BC tools downloaded and waiting for the all important lead!

Dave
9 nm south of LGW