AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A First For Me  (Read 3621 times)

flanker

• My Airband Listening Blog
A First For Me
« on: November 13, 2010, 08:44:05 AM »
just picked up an IL76 climbing southbound out of East midlands (RA-76950 Volga Dnepr Airlines) also got a visual on it as East Mids southbound departures pass fairly close to me. The route data is clearly wrong as it states CYEG to KNUQ. It's a first for me anyway!
14NM SSE of EGNX

bratters

Re: A First For Me
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:31:21 AM »
Nice one flanker. EMA is my local but I missed the event as my RB spends more time off than on these days due to being plagued by useless routings, but CYEG - KNUQ out of East Mids has to take both the biscuit and the cigar. An absolute classic.

You didn't by any chance get a record of the arrival? probably Airbridgecargo during the night and the incoming flight might provide a clue as to reality. This plane pops up at all the cargo centres.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 09:49:42 AM »
EMA is my local but I missed the event as my RB spends more time off than on these days due to being plagued by useless routings, but CYEG - KNUQ out of East Mids has to take both the biscuit and the cigar. An absolute classic.

bratters, instead of turning your Radarbox off, why not just turn of auto-downloaded routes - Preferences-Radarbox-AutoPopulate Route Data-OFF.  I wouldn't let the route download problem force you to stop using your Radarbox.

anodes

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 10:09:45 AM »
Hi flanker, I also tracked it live - although no visual - not from where I am!
152C96  VDA9901   RA-76950 IL76  Volga Dnepr Airlines 2010/11/13 03:10:28

bratters

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 10:59:40 AM »

bratters, instead of turning your Radarbox off, why not just turn of auto-downloaded routes - Preferences-Radarbox-AutoPopulate Route Data-OFF.  I wouldn't let the route download problem force you to stop using your Radarbox.

It's basically this Tarbat.  I want to switch on my box and see flights into/ex local airports - egnx, egcn, egbb egcc - using the simple expedient of filtering by "Airport."

As you know this should, theoretically, show onscreen only those flights routing to/from my selected airport. As you also know, what actually appears varies from absolutely nothing (even though there are flights visible to the naked eye) to a wierd and wonderful collection of flights whose fightpaths bear no relation to their supposed routes - a classic of its kind being the Volga Dnepr above. How could you possibly know where that was coming/going without gluing yourself to the screen? That's the way you miss 'em.

If I work by individual "Airlines" filter the results are obviously the same.

Say for example I look by Airport for a specific incoming from Europe and I pick up on RYR11 with EGNX shown as destination. However it is clearly heading in the wrong direction. I then filter by Airline and find RYR12 shown as heading for Dublin but looking like an option until it turns on to Stansted approach. So now I'm left with 2 or 3 more RYRs which have no routes at all and follow them for a while.

Same on takeoffs - it's the busy period with many flights going up  but little or no way of knowing what's what with most of them until they are well into the trip. I just get frustrated and pack it in. 

If you know of a workround, please tell me.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
bratters, I don't know your particular setup.  But, until Airnav sort out the routes mess (and I agree, it is a mess), could you maybe use an ALTITUDE filter to detect aircraft landing/departing from your local airports.  Just a thought, it depends how far out you want to detect "local" flights, but using ALTITUDE as a filter is one way of excluding overflights.

flybhx

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »
Bratters,

As an adhoc flight you'll never get a proper routing for things like the VDA. Don't know what it showed on dep this morning but it went EGNX - LFBO