AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CIV/MIL  (Read 6422 times)

Lossie666

CIV/MIL
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:29:47 AM »
I am new to Radarbox etc so wondered if i could ask whether all aircraft are picked up, ie civil and military. I live and work near a large base when has had no flying over the weekend and is now in fog. Ahhhhhhhggggggg!!

Matt

EK01

Re: CIV/MIL
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:36:57 AM »
Matt,

Welcome and be prepared to have your life taken over by the Radar Box. You will only be able to see on the map aircraft civil/military which are transmitting ADSB. Unfortunately, very few military types transmit ADSB therfore will not appear on the map. As for the interface, all aircraft transmitting Mode S will appear on it but again with military types it is a bit of hit and miss as some do and some don't.
I guess, as far as military is concerned, it's for security reasons as they don't want anyone to know where they are !

Ian

Lossie666

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:47:28 AM »
Thanks Ian, yes I suppose that makes sense. I wont bother lugging my laptop to work tomorrow then, mind you I may still pick up some local civvy traffic, good position for the antenna at work so maybe I will after all.

Matt

Northern Watch

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:18:10 AM »
Matt,

Wecome aboard.  If your user name is anything to go by we are in the same area.  Unfortunately, most of the regular Scheduled traffic does not appear on the map so unless you are in line-of-sight to Inverness or one of the Military bases then you will have difficulty.  Keep looking to the Southeast and you will see the northern oceanic route.  Currently tracking Air France A332 but to cloudy to see it.  Air Canada, Delta, Lufthansa, KLM, BA & Virgin are the main users of this route on some days of the week.  To the Southwest you can often pick up Ryanair and SAS traffic again you need a good line-of-sight. Good spotting. 

Rgds

Keith

Lossie666

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:36:53 AM »
Hi Keith

I am plugged into internet just now and can see lots over scotland, even the odd Bristows going into Aberdeen.

Will take pc to wprk tomorrow and set up the standalone in the office (in ATC tower) so should get something including Inverness traffic

Cheers

Matt

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 10:43:05 AM »
I'm guessing you're near Lossiemouth.  I'm located just across the firth at Portmahomack, so have some real experience.  You can see my live feed at http://www.tarbat.gofreeserve.com/radarbox.htm

And yesterday's log at http://www.tarbat.gofreeserve.com/data.htm

Just checked my log, and over the last year or so I've logged 398 UK military aircraft in the area.  A summary of UK military aircraft (43C*) seen on my Radarbox aircraft list:
???   32
A109   1
A748   2
AJET   1
B350   1
B412   5
B461   2
BA11   2
BE20   7
BN2P   1
BN2T   11
C130   17
C17   6
C30J   24
E3CF   7
EH10   5
EUFI   2
GAZL   14
GLEX   5
H25A   9
H25B   6
H64   6
HAR   26
HAWK   36
JAGR   1
L101   7
LYNX   6
NIM   4
PA31   1
PUMA   19
TOR   96
TORF   3
TORG   16
TUCA   1
VC10   16
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:56:21 AM by tarbat »

Lossie666

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 10:51:45 AM »
Ahhhh! I seeee!!!

I have already seen your live feed. A colleague showed me it last week and it was that that inspired me to splash out and get a radarbox!

Cheers

Matt

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:54:13 AM »
Wish I was on commission!!!

Lossie666

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 11:29:41 AM »
Yes you should be!

I decided to take my laptop out for a ride in the car, sat outside local RAF base and to be honest I didnt see much on my screen. I guess those planes are encrypted, but I did get a bigger window to watch local traffice. The spiky things on the screen expanded to big sectors and managed to pick up some helos out of aberdeen.

Of course running a laptop and a radar box ran down its battery in an hour. Now awaiting the postman and my in-car PC adaptor.

Nice living on the moray coast because can get some long distance contacts across the Firth. Shame my CB radio just crackels. I dont think anyone uses it round here....

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 11:46:29 AM »
Tarbat and others,

If you have websites showing your RadarBox screens and your attracting customers you can gain commission if they order through us (not via a dealer but through our website). Have a look at the affliate part of our website :)
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Aerotower

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »
Tarbat and others,

If you have websites showing your RadarBox screens and your attracting customers you can gain commission if they order through us (not via a dealer but through our website). Have a look at the affliate part of our website :)

Hi Airnav,

Explain me better,please.

I have your banner on my page.

Regards

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 01:33:14 PM »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 02:04:25 PM »
I guess those planes are encrypted, but I did get a bigger window to watch local traffice.

It's not that they're encrypted, just that some military aircraft don't have the ModeS equipment fitted - it's not mandatory in our airspace up here.  Just occasionally you'll get something really interesting into Lossie or Kinloss.  For example, the German Airforce A310 discussed at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1621

Or try looking out for Tornado GR4's flying at 100ft into the Tain bombing range.  They'll quickly go from 100ft to 6000ft after their bombing run!!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:08:44 PM by tarbat »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 12:40:03 PM »
Just occasionally you'll get something really interesting into Lossie or Kinloss.

Such as the Lufthansa Flight Training Cessna 525 CitationJet CJ1+ currently doing a touch-and-go at Lossie ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:53:11 PM by tarbat »