anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: program development issues  (Read 12070 times)

wojteksz

program development issues
« on: September 29, 2010, 04:42:33 AM »
i have two items that are bothering me most:

(1) heavy HD use - i usually let the program run for long time and i observe a VERY extensive HDD use (verified with filemon from wininternals.com). program is practically writing and reading all the time. I would expect the program to better use memory tables to display the flights and write just what is needed for history logs. I use 5sec long trails, refresh rate 2 sec.
(2) memory leaks - a little different each time but still can go as high as 300 MB, usually more like 150MB

any suggestions for setup or hope for improved program ;)

my computer:
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2,5GHz
4GB RAM

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: program development issues
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 11:41:18 AM »
What software version are you using? You would expect HD usage as it does have to write a lot of data but it shouldn't be too much. RB runs fine on much slower machines.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

wojteksz

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 05:29:48 PM »
AirNav RadarBox 3D
software version 4.03 from 2010-02-07 03:26
firmware 02.03.01

HDD use - the longer software is running the more HDD seems to be used

if needed i can send you a copy of the filemon logfile where all file activiteis are clearly seen - just where to send it?

wojteksz

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 04:41:16 AM »
hallooooo..... anybody there?
today i have tried to close the running application by clicking the red cross overhead it - IT DOESNT STOP already for 45 minutes is stil running although dissapeared from the screen but still stayed on the process list. I used ProcExplorer to check and here are the results
ANRB.exe version 3.01.0001.0077 dt 2010-02-07
CPU load practically all the time still at 25%
65,8 MB private bytes
after 2.5hr user time there was 25M I/O reads and 9M writes !

if needed we can setup a remote access session to my PC so you could check it yourselves (using teamviewer or similar technology)

ACW367

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:30:09 AM »
hallooooo..... anybody there?
today i have tried to close the running application by clicking the red cross overhead it - IT DOESNT STOP already for 45 minutes is stil running although dissapeared from the screen but still stayed on the process list.

Very much Airnav need to identify this, but in my personal experience I have always found it better to click exit on the file menu rather than the window red cross.  Using file/exit I find it usually closes quicker and is less likely to crash and loose data from Mylog.

wojteksz

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 09:58:18 AM »
so if you would like to identify the problem - how can i help?
i have a software company so i have experience id debugging different software - maybe we can fix it togerther :)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »
If you contact us via the methods in our signature you can send your elf file (in your RadarBox folder which is a like a debug file which should indicate what issues are occuring)

Also check the following as well, make sure you have installed RadarBox to outside the Virtual store if your using Vista/Windows 7 and also ensure if you have any anti virus software running that it ignores the RadarBox folder in its scanning otherwise it continues to scan the folder while its running and results in slow startups, shutdowns and usage.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

wojteksz

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »
i have sent the answers and files to the support email address
pls let me know if more info on which files and how frequently used would be helpful - the situation gets worse if software is running for long time (like 12hours or longer)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 02:34:43 PM »
What antivirus software are you running?  Have you excluded the Radarbox folders from virus scanning?

wojteksz

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 02:46:05 PM »
kaspersky anty-virus 6 for workstations
cannot exclude the directory from scanning but i have checked that it is not the kaspersky which is using the files so much! I ahve also set the kaspersky to stop scanning for more than 3osec.

wojteksz

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 02:52:23 PM »
do you know sysinternals (from http://www.microsoft.com/sysinternals)?
i use them to check system/files behaviour when sth gets wrong. I could send you a log on this but you would have to use the sysinternals software to read it.

if you do not know it - try it ! - usually works as simple as hammer drives a nail to get you direct to the problem :)

wojteksz

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 08:49:43 AM »
i have additional problem: I cannot stop the program working: even if selected files/close the software still stays on the status bar and on the list of active programms in windows software manager , hdd is heavily burdened

the only choice is to KILL the process!!!!

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
Hi wojteksz, I always use the red box with white cross, top right, and that shuts it down fine - don't you have that?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 10:46:03 AM »
wojteksz, how long have you left it to shut-down.  It can take several minutes, particularly if you haven't excluded the ANRB folders from virus checking for example.

wojteksz

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 11:33:41 AM »
CoastGuardian, Tarbat:

sure i have that red button but it does not work ;)- ie it behaves strange:
(1) if i start the application, connect to hardware and keep it operating for 2 minutes (52 planes recorded, 110messages/sec, no network flights) than it closes down via red button within some 5 secs. HDD is used but a little less than in case (2)
(2) if i keep software running for several hours (like i usually do) than it just cannot get closed!

it seems that it cannot be caused by the antivirus as it will check just the files and those are still used even if for some 200 secs.
I would suspect starange use of the databases: too much data written and too much data retrieved while not really needed. If it is just my case than i would have to have some parameters set to unusual values - but how? I have installed the software with defaluts!