anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not exactly real time?  (Read 3312 times)

NF2G

Not exactly real time?
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:42:06 PM »
I recently subscribed to the ANRB Real Time feed. 

Today I noticed that some of the aircraft that I could see on both ANRB's network and the PlanePlotter network (always in real time) were in different positions.  They were a few miles in trail on ANRB of their current locations as shown on PP. 

I run PP with position estimating turned off, so these aircraft are not simply continuing along an estimated line.  They only "move" when the network updates (about every 60 seconds).

Below is a screenshot from each program, taken nearly simultaneously (a few seconds apart), with the out-of-position aircraft each marked with a letter for comparison.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Not exactly real time?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:51:59 PM »
Hard to see from those pictures. However talking about the real time network is real time there is no added delay. The only delay you may experience is the proccessing and network delay which should amount to know more than 1-5 seconds.

We have many people comparing it to Heathrow Web Cam aswell through other comparisons.

I suspect what you may be seeing is simply the difference of 30 seconds, both pieces of software won't be downloading the same data at the same time hence there is always going to be difference as they are not in sync.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Runway 31

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »
How do you identify which one is providing the accurate picture, did you use a visual reference or did you solely watch the screens.

The aircraft coming over my house show up where and when I expect the to.

NF2G

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 06:12:10 PM »
Aircraft traveling at around 400 knots will not move as far as these discrepancies in only 30 seconds.  Also, it's not just some of the aircraft as I originally surmised.  It is ALL of them.

When I "hand off" local aircraft detected directly via RB to adjacent PP users, the positions remain in nearly perfect synchronization.  The text changes color but the aircraft position does not jump at all.  

I just measured the delay.  It takes an aircraft 4 minutes to travel from its ANRB position to its simultaneously displayed PP position.

NF2G

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »
How do you identify which one is providing the accurate picture, did you use a visual reference or did you solely watch the screens.

The aircraft coming over my house show up where and when I expect the to.

Of course they do.  You should be receiving those directly via your own RadarBox.  The delay is in the network.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:20:11 PM »
Have you checked the map calibration in Planeplotter?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 06:22:18 PM »
Confirm at the bottom of your RadarBox software it says Real Time Network?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

NF2G

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 01:38:37 AM »
I don't see those words.  I see "Live Data at" followed by the current time UTC.

I also see "Network flight data successfully updated."

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 07:21:30 AM »
My guess is that you're seeing the 5-minute delayed feed, rather than real-time - Airnav should be able to sort that out for you.  The 4-minutes difference your seeing is a combination of the 5-minute delay in Radarbox minus the (up to) 1-minute delay in Planeplotter.

If you don't see "Real-Time Network: 00:xx to Update", then you don't have the real-time network access.

Also, on the menu, do TOOLS - NETWORK ACCOUNT INFORMATION.  It should say "Real Time Network Data Active"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:46:57 AM by tarbat »

NF2G

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 05:41:13 PM »
It doesn't.  I'll see if support can figure out why I wasn't switched on.  I grabbed ACARS Decoder, Selcall Decoder, and the 6-month live services for all 3.