anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flightroutelookup.com  (Read 13064 times)

bratters

Re: Flightroutelookup.com
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 03:54:32 PM »
Get a grip, it can only improve on what is available at this time.  Time will tell on reliability.

Totally agree. This is getting out of hand.  Airnav might be "correct for 99.9% of the cases" but that takes no account of all the routes they haven't got a clue about.

We're in the madhouse here.

Southwest

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 04:02:48 PM »
In that case we will keep using our own sources which are correct for 99.9% of the cases. Thanks for your help anyway.

Are these figures from the guys you get your network reliability stats from?  Sorry if this sounds negative but I've had 'previous' with your figure claims.

I would certainly dispute 99.9%.  Just looking at flights in my region over a short period of time, that figure would be a flight of fancy.

flightinair

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 04:03:18 PM »
Its only a very very small number of people post about this, personally I am quiet happy.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:07:59 PM by flightinair »

jetset

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 04:05:54 PM »
Can someone point out to me what all this fuss is about.?

I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to databases and whatnot for the old RB, even though I've had it for nearly 2 years.

I thought all the route info was broadcast with the ADS-B signal to my box, which then decodes it to give readable info, IE the route, along with everything else.

Steve

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »
hello

Airnav obviously Subscribe to the adsi data  for some of the other services they offer so could the route information from this not be used for radarbox. Is this not the same route information Flightaware use? ADSI obviously wouldn't be a worldwide solution but it would be a start since when looking up a flight form Europe to America or America to Europe manually flightaware is always our first site for looking it up due to the accuracy of the routes.

Andrew

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »
99.9% correct means the routes shown. We know that the total number of routes shown is far from 100% but there is nothing that can be done regarding it. It is impossible to know the origin/destination for all flights without a connection to euroControl (at least in Europe).

Shouldn't we setup a database updater group for flight routes just like we have for aircraft information?

This is a difficult issue and we are more than happy to try to improve the situation. Your input is welcome.

Dave how many flights do you have on your callsign database? We did a search for a few but most of them didn't have any origin/destination information?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 04:31:31 PM »
We did a search for a few but most of them didn't have any origin/destination information?

Similar conclusion with my testing.  I just did a simple test, using FD7 configured to only use Dave's FRL service, and out of 9 flights, only 2 returned route details.  A success rate of 22%.

Only a small sample, but it goes to show that there isn't just one magic bullet for the route lookup problem.

DETAILS:
FlightID   DepICAO   ArrICAO
ACA853   EGLL   CYYC
  ANZ1   EGLL   KLAX
BEE3MG      
BEE3VD      
BMA67G      
LOG23DB      
RAE559      
RYR2ZH      
SHT18V      

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 04:37:06 PM »
Dave how many flights do you have on your callsign database?

Sorry, but I'm not interested in jumping through any more of your hoops.

I really couldn't care less whether you use the FRL service or not - it's not as if I was planning to cite AirNav as a prestige customer :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 04:46:25 PM »
Ok Dave. It's up to you. But please note that there is a proper mode-s forum on the internet for negative, sarcastic and false comments and it is not this one.

abrad41

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 05:49:51 AM »
But please note that there is a proper mode-s forum on the internet for negative, sarcastic and false comments and it is not this one.

Here we go again

Airnav - you are making this sound like childrens playground at school

I am a 52 year old man, Airnav I left School behind years ago.

bratters

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 08:06:57 AM »

We know that the total number of routes shown is far from 100% but there is nothing that can be done regarding it. It is impossible to know the origin/destination for all flights without a connection to euroControl (at least in Europe).

At long last we have a definitive statement that spells out in a clear and unambiguous way the boundaries of what is and what isn't feasible with regards to routing.

There is therefore little point in me or any one else  banging on about "mystery tour" flights. It's now official - further substantial progress in decoding routes is impossible - end of and case closed.

That should save some column inches on the forum.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 08:37:42 AM »
It's now official - further substantial progress in decoding routes is impossible - end of and case closed.

I'm confused.

What about this whizzy new algorithm that is/was going to work out routes for lots of network flights, based on where aircraft were observed taking off and landing ?

Granted the implementation isn't yet working properly, if at all, but the concept is sound enough (I've been using it for years).

Is this now officially dead and buried, AirNav ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Southwest

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 08:47:47 AM »
99.9% correct means the routes shown.

This is the last I'm going to say about this.

That statement is scandalous.  A few weeks ago I did a snap survey on routings and out of 20 flights watched coming up over central England, 4 were blatantly wrong.  Now, I'm no maths genius but this doesn't equate to 99.9%.  I'm sure if everyone did the same they too would shoot down your figures.

May I politely suggest you fire the company who provide you with these ficticious numbers. 

Chris11

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 09:51:32 AM »

This is the last I'm going to say about this.

That statement is scandalous.  A few weeks ago I did a snap survey on routings and out of 20 flights watched coming up over central England, 4 were blatantly wrong.  Now, I'm no maths genius but this doesn't equate to 99.9%.  I'm sure if everyone did the same they too would shoot down your figures.

May I politely suggest you fire the company who provide you with these ficticious numbers. 
Maybe in your part of the world. In my part the only problems I have are ones caused by pilot putting in the incorrect code onto their transponder... and of course Durban. So based on my survey the database is 100% correct.

The real question is why are we having this debate. The database is not accurate. In my view it never can be but that is another story. That is what you bought and that is what you should take into account when you decide to renew.

Wayne

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 10:15:11 AM »
So could we regress this new algorithm back to the previous version because not only is this one not detecting routes properly it is undoing correct routes added manually using Database Explorer.