AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flight Display 7  (Read 23137 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Flight Display 7
« on: September 20, 2010, 09:30:30 AM »
Just a heads up, the excellent Flight Display is once again available, for those using Planeplotter.  It now does route lookups on 5 sites:
Libhomeradar
FRL
FlightStats
Flytecom
FlightAware

Although even Dave Reid's FRL service can't resolve some of these alphanumeric flights :(

The way I use this is to run Planeplotter alongside Radarbox, and then once a week I export all the routes from FD7, and import those into the Radarbox routes table.  It's a great way of gathering route data.

Download from http://sites.google.com/site/0flightdisplay/homepage
Make sure you read the readme.txt file before attempting installation.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:32:02 AM by tarbat »

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: Flight Display 7
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 01:15:05 PM »
Do the owners of those sites know they are getting flight information from them?
It is illegal to gather information from those sites to build a third party information database - that's why we are under a paid contract with flightstats.com to get flight number/callsign information from them.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »
Do the owners of those sites know they are getting flight information from them?

I don't know.  I guess Dave Reid should know since FD7 gets data from his Flight Route Lookup service, so presumably he has agreed to give free access to his service for FD7 users.  Maybe he will do the same for Radarbox users?

So far today FD7 has gathered 130+ route details for me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:31:25 PM by tarbat »

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 01:44:50 PM »
It would be strange to know DaveReid would be giving free access to FD7 users/SBS community and don't do the same with us. Let's wait for his position.

bratters

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 01:56:21 PM »

So far today FD7 has gathered 130+ route details for me.

Thanks for that Tarbat mate - really brightened up my day  :(

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 01:59:56 PM »
It is illegal to gather information from those sites to build a third party information database - that's why we are under a paid contract with flightstats.com to get flight number/callsign information from them.

Surely it's the fact that you are a commercial undertaking charging for the use of the database as part of the purchase price of your product that requires you to pay for the data from flightstats.com? FD7 is a free tool for users who can normally look up the information free for their own use to automate the process. As long as they do not then sell on that information they are breaking no law.

Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

bratters

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »

FD7 is a free tool for users who can normally look up the information free for their own use to automate the process. As long as they do not then sell on that information they are breaking no law.

Does that mean that a linkup between Airnav and FD - similar to that between FD and PP (& SBS apparently) - could provide us quite legally with the same free data that Tarbat is accessing via PP?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 02:39:53 PM »
Does that mean that a linkup between Airnav and FD - similar to that between FD and PP (& SBS apparently) - could provide us quite legally with the same free data that Tarbat is accessing via PP?

I would think so.   FD7 is free to use with SBS-1.  Maybe Airnav could do a deal with Allan Bird to further develop FD7 to work with Radarbox.  After all, aren't all SBS-1 addons meant to work with Radarbox ;-)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:41:48 PM by tarbat »

bratters

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:59:38 PM »
Well, it sounds like it could be a step in the right direction.

We would still face the question of getting the data into our individual databases -which could be a challenge for the somewhat PC-daft amongst us.

We do need to do something about routes and I also think we must try to avoid politics,  fingerpointing and back-biting which is totally counter-productive.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 03:24:43 PM »
Turns out that FD7 can be used directly with Radarbox, no need to use Planeplotter.

1. Create an almost empty SBS-1 Basestation database, and put it in any folder you like.  I've got mine in the Radarbox folder.  It contains ONE aircraft record, for Aircraft ID = zero.  This is needed since all port 30003 output from Radarbox assigns an Aircraft ID of zero.

2. Configure FD7 to use SBS-1.

3. Once a week export the routes from FD7 and import them into your routes table.

Simples........

EDIT:  Looks like Autopopulate doesn't work using this method :(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:01:35 PM by tarbat »

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 03:31:42 PM »
This is an interesting discussion and we consider all the points.

"FD7 is a free tool for users who can normally look up the information free for their own use to automate the process. As long as they do not then sell on that information they are breaking no law."

This is false. The use of automatic programmed robots to gather data from other sites is totally illegal.

Let's first wait for DaveReid's answer to:
"It would be strange to know DaveReid would be giving free access to FD7 users/SBS community and don't do the same with us."

After that we will continue our discussion.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 04:22:42 PM »
Let's first wait for DaveReid's answer to:
"It would be strange to know DaveReid would be giving free access to FD7 users/SBS community and don't do the same with us."

After that we will continue our discussion.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <Flight>
  <FlightNumber>SHT9J</FlightNumber>
  <Callsign>Shuttle 9J</Callsign>
- <Leg>
- <Origin>
  <ICAOCode>EGPH</ICAOCode>
  <IATACode>EDI</IATACode>
  <AirportName>EDINBURGH/TURNHOUSE</AirportName>
  <Country>UNITED KINGDOM</Country>
  </Origin>
- <Destination>
  <ICAOCode>EGLL</ICAOCode>
  <IATACode>LHR</IATACode>
  <AirportName>LONDON/HEATHROW</AirportName>
  <Country>UNITED KINGDOM</Country>
  </Destination>
  <GCDistanceNM>288</GCDistanceNM>
  </Leg>
  </Flight>

Source: www.flightroutelookup.com

This information is hereby placed in the public domain and may be freely used without attribution by any individual or ORGANISATION.

AirNav, if you'd like to tell me what part of that statement you don't understand, I'd be delighted to explain it to you.

Having said that, don't you dare try to pass the buck to me, or indeed to any other third party, for the abysmal quality of your flight routes database and the failure of your "fix". 

We are your customers, you aren't ours.

This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 04:32:19 PM »
Dave we are just asking the following:
1- Are you providing free flight data to the FD7 application? Y/N?
2- Are you able to provide such flight data to our community too?
3- If yes how can we access your flight data script (the same way FD7 does)?

Simple questions, simple answers expected.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 04:44:18 PM »
Simple questions, simple answers expected.

Perhaps I could get an answer first to the question I asked you over a month ago, and on other occasions since ?

You know the one I mean, of course.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 04:50:20 PM »
Dave please don't try to be sarcastic one more time.

Quite simple: are you providing route information to the Flight Display application (SBS community) for free? Are you able to do the same with the RadarBox community?