anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aircraft disappearing from radar...  (Read 9640 times)

knight01

Re: Aircraft disappearing from radar...
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »
At first I thought it may have been reception issue.  But these screen shots show when everything is working as it should.  All aircraft are visible within the reception area.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:17:49 PM by knight01 »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »
knight01.  A couple of questions:

1. You're running Win7.  Did you accept the default installation directory (C:\Program Files\.....)?  If so, that could be causing the problem.  Instead install somewhere like C:\Airnav\Radarbox.......

2. What antivirus software are you running, and have you excluded the Airnav folder from virus scanning?

knight01

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 06:49:05 PM »
My installation is in the default location, but on my laptop it also happens, the install location on laptop is not default, c:/Airnav.

I'm running Kaspersky internet security 2010 on desktop and v2011 on my laptop.

I've had this installed in the default Airnav location since I got windows 7 (Nov. 2009) and I've never had this or any other issues, this started happening recently.  I haven't updated any drivers recently either.
How do exclude Airnav folder from virus scanning.

Thanks for the help.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »
How do exclude Airnav folder from virus scanning.

Sorry, I know nothing about Kaspersky, I use MSE.  But, to ensure a smooth running Radarbox on Win7 or Vista, you need to:

1. Install somewhere other than the default location.  Something like C:\AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox.

2. Exclude the Airnav folder from virus scanning.  I don't know how you do that in Kaspersky, but in MSE it's as simple as this:

Hawkeye

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 02:52:01 PM »
Hi Tarbat,

As I’ve mentioned before when this subject has cropped up, I‘ve been running Airnav 3.13 in the default Prog Files destination under Win 7 since late last year without any problems.
Knight01 has had no problems previously with a Win7/ Prog Files default installation either.
Reinstalling in C:/ is suggested in another current Forum subject, 'Saving Database', where  54901_Jim states he has had no problems with a default installation either.
So it can’t be the case that you ‘need’ to install somewhere else.
I accept that it can’t do any harm to install in C:/ , but  I can’t understand how the installation destination can affect some users and not others. Does it and if so, can anybody give an explanation as to why?

Regards
Syd

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 02:59:26 PM »
Hawkeye,

The issue is the UAC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

If its enabled, it doesn't always allow writing to files in Program Files which can cause issues. It also depends on whether you are logged into Windows as admin.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »
So it can’t be the case that you ‘need’ to install somewhere else.

Yes, you don't need to install somewhere else, but it makes things a lot simpler.  As Support say, if you install in Program Files, then you introduce a whole load of uncertainties, such as UAC, Admin account, etc. as well as needing to exclude virus scanning in two locations - Program Files, and the Virtual Store.

It's a LOT simpler if you install outside of Program Files.  It makes backing up your databases more straightforward, and so on.......

Hawkeye

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 12:33:37 PM »
Tarbat and Support,

Thanks for the explanation. I must admit I know very little about computer operating systems.
Just as a matter of interest to an old thickie, why is default installation not C:/Airnav when it is known there can be problems in Prog Files?

Regards,
Syd

Runway 31

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »
I think its a Windows thing Syd.  Windows automatically puts all new programmes there.

Alan

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »
Just as a matter of interest to an old thickie, why is default installation not C:/Airnav when it is known there can be problems in Prog Files?

Because pre-Vista (ie Win XP), putting programs in "Program Files" wasn't a problem, and was the obvious thing to do.  Microsoft then improved security in Vista but software developers continued to write software for XP not Vista.