AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wi-fi help  (Read 3171 times)

charlie

wi-fi help
« on: November 13, 2010, 08:52:57 PM »
Hello

This is a good one.  Help needed.

I am moving house soon and I have to put my Airnav Antenna (watson) in the attic.  However I don't want to drill any holes in the walls etc.
I know that the Navbox needs power and I have that in the roof.

Now is there a way that I can connect my laptop the the AirNav Box remotely to my laptop down starts.

Told you it was a good one.
No doubt somebody will come up with a simple answer.
Not moving house is not an option before you say anything ha ha.

Thanks for the help

Charlie

bratters

Re: wi-fi help
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:20:51 AM »
Hiya Charlie

Not quite got my head round your question.

You say "I know that the Navbox needs power and I have that in the roof. "

The box is powered by the USB from the PC/Laptop so what power source do you have in the roof?

John

cool_1

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »
Hi Charlie,

You can't do it wirelessly with the current Navbox hardware, using a single laptop. 
Although you could possibly do it with a 2nd PC downstairs using 'Logmein' over a wireless network. Logmein has a free version, and simple to setup. You could then keep your laptop switched on 24x7, and just login remotely.  Its quite effective.

Alternatively, if money is no object, the easiest option (in my opinion) is to subscribe to the Airnav 'Live' network for distant flights, and just pick up the local flights with your radarbox antenna in a nearby window.  Signal strength is then not really important.

Hey...Why use a laptop for Radarbox when youre at home ?
I have a relatively cheap Nvidia GTX260 graphics card on a desktop PC, with dual monitor output, and 'spread' the Radarbox display across 2x Samsung 24 inch monitors.  Its incredible, especially when rotating the 3D display. Once you've experienced the 'Imax' panoramic effect in 3D there is no going back to laptops.  ;-)

Also I like to run Planeplotter (with MLAT) alongside the Airnav Interface, to view Flybe flights at my local Exeter airport. (as they dont use ADSB).  So dual monitor is the only way to go....so no laptop for me anymore...as I cant stand squinting, and eye strain. 

Just my 2 cents worth anyway  ;-)

charlie

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »
I know the NavBox gets it power through the usb on a laptop but you can get independant powered usb sockets.

I was wondering if you can then somehow attach a wi-fi device to it and the laptop down stairs and connect that way.

Cheers
Charlie

andrewarles

• Database Updaters
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
Hi Charlie,

I have the Belkin Network USB hub that works fine with the RadarBox.  Simply install the Hub driver and application, and it detects automatically the RB and any other USB device connected to it.

In addition to the USB hub http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/ you will need a wireless router.

However, it doesn't work with all Windows systems, or at least not for me.  Windows XP worked fine, but it was impossible to use it with Windows Vista (I think it was SP3).  I have yet to try it with Windows 7, but as soon my RB is back from repair I will give it a try.

Andrew
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 07:58:35 PM by andrewarles »
16 NM SSW of LFMV (Avignon)
27 NM NW of LFML (Marseille)
Arles, France.

sherlock holmes

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
Hi Cool_1 and Charlie,
I just downloaded the Logmein free program and it works great. I have my laptop upstairs connected to the RB and I am monitoring it downstairs on my desktop. In the full screen mode, it looks great! Thanks for the suggestion Cool_1.

Sherlock Holmes