anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Maximum Receive Range?  (Read 15568 times)

54901 - Jim

• N9JHB.com
Maximum Receive Range?
« on: October 03, 2009, 02:32:01 AM »
I'm landlocked ... closest ships would be 50 miles (80km) from me.  What is the effective receive range for ShipTrax?

Thanks!

Jim
KOSH - Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: Maximum Receive Range?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 03:16:22 AM »
About 50 miles. But it will have a real-time network just like RadarBox so you could see ships being tracked at your location.

54901 - Jim

• N9JHB.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:18:41 AM »
Thank you!  Not that I need yet another hobby, but I'll be interested in seeing the new product when it's released.

Jim

KOSH - Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA

jannuh

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »
Normal AIS range from coastal area's will be around 35 nm (outside antenna on roof).
Harbour area's gives a lot less coverage, if interested in inland shipping (only active in netherlands/belgium/germany/austria/hungary) make abt. 15 nm of the coverage area.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »
I guess the network feature will be very important for ShipTrax, given the limited AIS reception range.

jannuh

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 09:29:22 AM »
I upload AIS data, beside to Shipplotter, also to MarineTraffic.
Coverage area:
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?zoom=7&centerx=5.9871&centery=51.2591&oldmmsi=263

MarineTraffic is the cheapest way to be involved in AIS, in the way you get free software to upload data to them, you just need a scanner with discriminator output and their free software.
More info on dicriminator output: www.discriminator.nl (in dutch and english)

You will notice when viewing on marinetraffic that the AIS freq. in VHF are much more under influeance of VHF ducting (tropo conditions) then the ADS freq. are.

My own all time DX is 900 nm, but in the Med and PG (Persian Gulf) 300-500 nm is quit common.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:46:32 AM »
you just need a scanner with discriminator output

Easier said than done.  I tried doing the discriminator modification on my Yupiteru MVT-5000, without success.  I suspect I fried the IC when trying to solder the 10k resistor onto pin 9 :(

I'm waiting to see what the Airnav receiver hardware is like - something that gives TCP output would be best for me.  In the meantime, I use the ShipPlotter network.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 10:26:07 AM »
Maximum range I've had recently on AIS is just over 60nm.  Okay, that was a SAR helicopter, but it demonstrates the range you can expect with clear line-of-sight.

That's with an antenna in the loft of our bungalow.  I could probably get better range with an external antenna with a bit more height.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/5243702576/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Interesting to compare this to the "theoretical" maximum range predicted for targets below 1000ft (ie sea level):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/5243233419/sizes/o/in/photostream/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:00:03 PM by tarbat »

jannuh

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 02:09:15 PM »
Hi Tarbat,

A SAR Helicopter ain't daily stuff on AIS, max. range has more to do with tropoducts.
My max range was abt. 300 nm within a tropoduct period.

Daily average max. (inland ships) is abt. 15 nm.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 11:18:19 PM »
Interesting observation comparing Radarbox and ShipTrax reception - both antenna are in the loft.  I've been tracking the SAR helicopter again this evening, and it dissapeared from both the Radarbox and ShipTrax reception at the same time, at a distance of 65NM and altitude of 5500ft.  I guess that is line-of-sight from my location.