AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airband scanner  (Read 10520 times)

knight01

Airband scanner
« on: September 14, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »
I've been looking to get a handheld scanner. I need to decide between Maycom AR-108 and Uniden usc230-e.
The Uniden comes with a PC connection and software.  If I tune the Uniden scanner to a ACARS frequency and connect it the PC, can radarbox software decode the signals via the ACARS tab.
I was only thinking spending about £60-70 and getting the Maycom, but found the Uniden offers a PC connection, is the extra features of the Uniden worth the extra cost?
I just need it for civilian airband, not interested in military frequencies.

Do these scanners support the new frequency increments i.e. 132.840, 132.860 etc.
Any other scanners which I should consider?

TIA
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:18:08 AM by knight01 »

knight01

Re: Airband scanner
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:49:30 AM »
Is UNIDEN BEARCAT UBC-30XLT any good?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »
The Uniden comes with a PC connection and software.  If I tune the Uniden scanner to a ACARS frequency and connect it the PC, can radarbox software decode the signals via the ACARS tab.

I don't think so.  According to the USER MANUAL, the PC connection can only be used to transfer programming data to and from your scanner and your personal computer, and to control the scanner using a computer - not to pass the received signal.  You would need to connect the audio out to your PC's sound card input.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 01:55:34 PM by tarbat »

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:42:10 PM »
Hello

You need to purchase the airnav ACARS decoder if you want to use the ACARS tab in the radarbox software since this just displays messages that ACARS decoder decodes.

I recommend as well just getting an average scanner and spending more on a good aerial as this seems to be the best combination I have found.   I have the Realistic Pro 26 with a good outside aerial and RG8m coax. That's just my own personal idea and works fine for me.  Aircraft up to 200-250nm are plain to hear with this.

Andrew

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:13:30 PM »
We have removed a few posts here. Please be sensible, this is a forum about AirNav products. Do not advertise other products please.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

jannuh

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »
We have removed a few posts here. Please be sensible, this is a forum about AirNav products. Do not advertise other products please.
In that way you should remove the topic, as it's not about A.N. products, but about scanners!

Your fussy removing of posts is childish behavior!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »
Did you actually see the posts Jannuh? Or are you just here to cause trouble?. As if you did see them you would know they were more than just adverts.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]