AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MLAT  (Read 48611 times)

eyeinthesky

Re: MLAT
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 09:52:09 AM »
I think what it boils down to is how much of our money is going into shiptrax that should be spend on airnav.
Using the Canon 10x30 IS Binoculars with Image Stabilisation, Brilliant job on a clear day.

bratters

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 10:04:10 AM »
I guess I take the view that I never rely on "vapourware" announcements from any manufacturer.  Until a feature is actually announced, don't rely on it.  I've been dissapointed too often over the years from various software and hardware companies over features that take longer to appear than expected, or never appear at all.

If you're desperate to use multilateration now, then there are solutions that work with Radarbox - until you see the words "MLAT" on a Radabox screenshot ;) (joke!!)

Although I find that I don't bother with MLAT now - after the initial excitement of the feature in Planeplotter, I've gone back to using just basic ADS/B reception in Radarbox.

Mlat, like 3D. might make a nice addition, but it is not top of my "must have" list.

Far more important IMO is the "daily bread" of the system. We need the bug fixes together with a reliable supply of regular and accurate updates to ALL databases, including routes, such updates being delivered in a way that does not require the user to get involved in advanced computing.

If we can get that sorted we will then have a stable and reliable long serving Radarbox, to which we can consider adding additional software/hardware goodies.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 10:09:09 AM »
Far more important IMO is the "daily bread" of the system. We need the bug fixes together with a reliable supply of regular and accurate updates to ALL databases, including routes, such updates being delivered in a way that does not require the user to get involved in advanced computing.

Totally agree.

chewycanes

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »
Hi

I totally agree as well.

Brian

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 12:11:25 PM »
We will repeat one more time that once ShipTrax is release we will focus all our attention back to RadarBox and correct every single pending item.

Chris11

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 12:54:26 PM »
Oh no - ShipTrax before even a small release to fix some minor easy to fix bugs.......  Imagine if MS said - we will not fix all those Windows bugs until we release MS Office 2011

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 01:04:13 PM »
ShipTrax has no interest to me whatsoever.............possibly about the third or fourth time in the last twelve months that I've typed those words on this forum.

We are talking about a totally different product - one that is already in the public domain - that is available to be purchased - has a fairly extensive/captive market - should already generate revenue from its initial purchase and "add-ons", compared to a totally new product, aimed (with the exception of a small % of users) at a totally different market, with no as yet justifiable captive market!!

I really don't get it at all?

Based on the unrest these sort of topics drum up, it seems there is a very strong level-headed group of current users/customers awaiting some serious resolution to some/all the problems we have put up with for who knows how long.

How much longer are you guys going to use ShipTrax as an excuse?

Please don't continue to dangle carrots in front of us, giving us the slightest belief that something like MLAT is around the corner.

It should by now , have been a critical business decision to firstly fix these bugs or alternatively go public with the reason why it is not possible to fix them.

The comment above to "correct every single pending item" is undoubtedly what we the users would like to happen - but it is a very very bold statement to make.

It's interesting that we seem to now be getting a fair few "senior" forum members throwing their views onto the table also - surely this is indicative of how fed up we all are of this continuing saga relating to a product/hobby we care not a jot for!!

May I throw some weight behind Bratters comment, that the bread and butter fixes should be prioritised, together with anything that the updaters need to continue to carry on with their unwavering support (having been part of the updater team in its fist several months, I know exactly what these guys are giving in terms of effort and time, not to mention nervous breakdowns). How these guys continue to "dig " the product out of a hole is quite simply unmeasurable in my view, so please please concentrate on their needs before we start going off on any product development routes.

At the end of the day we are, believe it or not, fully behind RadarBox - all we want, is a reliable, informed path forward, giving the users some realistic hope , rather than continuing into the same black hole

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:07:37 PM by Marpleman »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »
Marpleman,

As we have said, after ShipTrax is released which should be very soon we will looking at these details.

Yes its very easy post what you have written but there are considerations which have to be made by us which are not always clear to the average customer. We are doing our best to make the correct decisions and we hope you will be pleased with the outcome.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 02:13:52 PM »
Blimey..........

What do you class as the "average customer"?

I think it's a safe assumption that ANY customer would expect a niche product such as RadarBox to do what it says on the tin, and if it doesn't, by whatever small measures , get it fixed?

It's surely about basic support of a CURRENT product that at the moment is simply underperforming due to continued under resourced support for THAT product.

Anyhow, I've voiced my opinion enough on this , so I'll leave it alone now.

At the end of the day, you guys make the decisions.

Thanks

ACW367

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2011, 02:50:12 PM »

It's interesting that we seem to now be getting a fair few "senior" forum members throwing their views onto the table also - surely this is indicative of how fed up we all are of this continuing saga relating to a product/hobby we care not a jot for!!

The senior forum members have always expressed these views.  Airnav are fully aware that whilst I volunteer to help them I have long verhmently pushed for data adminstration to be taken in house.  A professional database solution (in-house) for a professional product should always be considered first, prior to expansion of the product range in my opinion.

Here is my February 2010 push, 17 months ago.  http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4285.msg43216#msg43216

Many of the "senior" forum members who agreed with me at that time can no longer post here.   

Regards
ACW367

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2011, 03:20:57 PM »
Hello

I can see everyone's points of view but the general opinion in our household is we are actually getting the service we paid for when we purchased our boxes. It is better actually as the database of aircraft is much improved but I do agree the routes need looking at. Obviously anything else that is released, for example MLAT, is really just an added bonus.

This is only my opinion but then we are all entitled to that and that is what a forum is for-rational discussion :-)

Andrew

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2011, 03:31:02 PM »
- Posts have been removed which are promoting other software/products on the forum. It is against the rules.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:36:44 PM by AirNav Support »
[email protected]

cool_1

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2011, 04:56:28 PM »
Having just seen Tarbat's screenshot above, it reminded me why I first bought a Radarbox.  It was actually to see Flybe flights from my local Exeter airport.  How disappointed was I, when I found after plugging it all in, to only find out that you simply can't see any Flybe flight positions on the 2D display.  

2 years later...and ... still no MLAT  - but  hey...you do have 3D display so you can wizz round with a mouse, and see all that empty space with the occassional white bean stalks showing - oh ...thats another bug...).

I wonder how many Radarbox uses have now lost that novelty new 'excitement' feeling that they all first had, or maybe the excitement we all had just after the 3D upgrade.

I feel like Ive got an ipad, without any new apps to play with, and no bugs getting fixed. (like my 3D 'selection' bug which I reported over a year ago, and still no fix)

Am I alone with that 'empty' feeling...... ?  

Is there anyone else who has some dust starting to build up on their Airnav box ?

(Come on Airnav....  )
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:59:46 PM by cool_1 »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »
cool_1,

We think that is unfair. The product was always sold with details that is a ADS-B decoder and Mode-S showed up on the list. You have got what you have paid for. The MLAT we are looking at and other feature are bonuses.

The bugs we understand that they should be fixed and we apologise and have stated about what we will do in the last few posts.
[email protected]

Horsham Spotter

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »
I have had my box for three years now.

When I purchased it i'm sure it said it was an ADSB and mode S receiver.

No mention of MLAT anywhere.

If it is in the pipe line then great?

Steve
3.1nm miles south of EGKK westerly App & Dep.