AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New data lost if Radarbox software crashes!  (Read 40794 times)

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
Re: New data lost if Radarbox software crashes!
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2010, 01:03:56 PM »
Done, 121MB of stuff moved to D drive.  Thanks    Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

air7677

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2010, 01:06:59 PM »
tom post
These days you don't ban complainants very often (you prefer to give perks such as free network to some of the brown-noses).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think we all want a explanation what your on about tom, tell us more about the perks and free bees

from S.F.

ps: airnav is this true.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2010, 01:13:08 PM »
Please keep it on topic from now on. Please do not be caught up in certain people trying to spread lies and there own agenda.

Any more off topic posts on this thread and that users post will be removed and the user warned.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

EK01

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »
Done, 121MB of stuff moved to D drive.  Thanks    Dave.

Anorak,
Glad to see everything now working ok. You really start to get withdrawal symptoms if RB is not working as it should and things start to go awry.

Ian

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2010, 02:00:49 PM »
I leave mine running 24/7 and look in at it when ever the wifes not ... yes dear coming   ;-)
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

andrewarles

• Database Updaters
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2010, 04:39:20 PM »
Ok, did as tarbat suggested.  Backed up the db3 files (the ones in the users folder and not the ones in the program files folder) de-installed RB, deleted all remaining folders, reinstalled RB and copied the db3 files back to the data folder in c:\Airnav.

To see if there was any change I tried two things.

Firstly, shut the RB software down by using Ctrl Alt Del.....it  ends up saying ANRB doesn't respond, and clicked on close.
Restarted the software and surprisingly the recent data was still there.  By using this method does the software go through a proper quit routine? Could this be considered as a software crash?  In any case the data was there.

Secondly, simulated power cut.  Hit the power off button, restarted the pc and then restarted the RB.  All recent data lost.

AirNav, is this normal?

Andrew

16 NM SSW of LFMV (Avignon)
27 NM NW of LFML (Marseille)
Arles, France.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
That is crash if you press ctrl alt del to the software. The powercut scenario can cause corruption in any files so best not to try this.

So yes its normal, it will do its best to recover from both examples though sometimes a file can be corrupted and hence it cannot be recovered.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »
Restarted the software and surprisingly the recent data was still there.

That's good news.  Now you need to sort out why it crashes on closing.  Are you using McAfee?  If so, you need to setup an exception for the Airnav folder.

EK01

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2010, 06:41:29 PM »
Ok, did as tarbat suggested.  Backed up the db3 files (the ones in the users folder and not the ones in the program files folder) de-installed RB, deleted all remaining folders, reinstalled RB and copied the db3 files back to the data folder in c:\Airnav.

To see if there was any change I tried two things.

Firstly, shut the RB software down by using Ctrl Alt Del.....it  ends up saying ANRB doesn't respond, and clicked on close.
Restarted the software and surprisingly the recent data was still there.  By using this method does the software go through a proper quit routine? Could this be considered as a software crash?  In any case the data was there.

Secondly, simulated power cut.  Hit the power off button, restarted the pc and then restarted the RB.  All recent data lost.

AirNav, is this normal?

Andrew

Andrew,
With regard to your power cut scenario, I wouldn't try that again. I would advise having your PC,ANRB,etc plugged into a surge protector extension lead and to get into the habit of backing up your files. Some systems will automatically back up files every so often and here in Spain where we are susceptible to power cuts and power surges very frequently a surge protector extension lead for plugging in the RB and other sensitive equipment is a must. It's also advisable when buying one to make sure that it comes with a guarantee so that if a disaster does occur you can make a claim.

andrewarles

• Database Updaters
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »
Hi,

EK01 I agree with you entirely on the power cut scenario, but I just wanted to see how the software was going to react.

I thought all was ok up to now, software working fine, so I had a look at the files in windows explorer. None of the files were jumping around like they normally do?

So, didn't want to take the risk of loosing days of data so carefully quit the software correctly (File, Exit, Yes).  After maybe 30 seconds the software froze and didn't respond, so waited for a while but nothing.

Re-started, only the last record in the NavData.db3 file was lost, but hours of records in the MyLog.db3 lost.  Attached is a screen shot of the file status before I quit taken at 17.40.

I really don't know which way to go now?

Andrew
Arles, France.

andrewarles

• Database Updaters
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2010, 04:37:43 PM »
Just like to add to the last post.

The last records in MyLog are at 11.47 that corresponds to the time of the MyLog.db3 file.

What do the journal and backup files do?

Didn't AN state that they restore lost data from the backup files on start up?

Andrew

Arles, France.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »
I really don't know which way to go now?

Did you see my previous post about sorting out exceptions for your anti-virus software (McAfee?)?  From what I've read, a recent change to McAfee has caused file locking problems.  For example, see http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13144

You need to sort out why it's crashing.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:34:34 PM by tarbat »

Runway 31

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2010, 05:50:34 PM »
Andrew, Correct me if I am wrong from your postings it looks like this has only been occuring for around a week, have you changed anything on your computer or added any software which may be conflicting?

Alan

andrewarles

• Database Updaters
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2010, 08:55:45 PM »
Alan, tarbat,

No, it's been happening from time to time since I purchased it, but I'm just getting tired of loosing data, so I thought I should really try and get to the root of the problem.

I have followed tarbat's advice and looked into the Anti-virus software.

The journal does show that it "timesout" when it tries to read the MyLog.db3-journal but the time doesn't appear to correspond to when it crashed.

So, I have excluded all NavData.* and MyLog.* files from being scanned by McAfee  (on read and write).

I'll wait and see.

Thanks

Andrew

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:59:09 PM by andrewarles »
Arles, France.

Aerotower

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2010, 12:57:56 PM »
**** for this!! I again lose data and I have no idea why.

I'm already getting bored with it ......

Why so many crashes ????????????????
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:09:09 PM by AirNav Support »