AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New data lost if Radarbox software crashes!  (Read 40795 times)

andrewarles

• Database Updaters
Re: New data lost if Radarbox software crashes!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 10:28:30 PM »
In your AirNav Systems -> RadarBox folder you should find the data folder. You should see MyLog.db3 and NavData.db3. You will also see those files with .bak extension incase the main database gets corrupts.

AirNav is running and no *.bak files in the C:\Program Files\AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox folder or any of its sub folders.

Also if RadarBox is running you will see the db3 journal files which contain the "updates" which are then written into the database. You should see these file size changing as they are written in and cleared.

Strange, why do the file dates not correspond to the real dates - I have for the MyLog.db3 - created 11/08/2010,  modified 09/08/2008 and last access 11/08/2010?

Firstly ensure you are using the latest version and also get back to us whether you have any other software running at the same time.

V4.03
Nothing out of the ordinary - Firefox, Notepad, and nothing running in the background except McAfee AV and MS Defender.

Lastly how long does it take for it to crash? is it a few hours or a few days or random.
It's most susceptible to crashing when quitting the software.  Once you hit the confirmation button to quit, you must not do anything on the PC while it's updating, (30 to 60 seconds) otherwise you're in trouble.  This has happened to me on numerous occasions.

Andrew
16 NM SSW of LFMV (Avignon)
27 NM NW of LFML (Marseille)
Arles, France.

eggplant

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 11:23:12 PM »
eggplant: like we've told many times in the past, there is a proper forum for mode-s receivers which was created with the support of our competitors where a group of people spend their days reporting false facts and misconceptions about RadarBox with hidden commercial intentions.

Being this issue discussed so many and knowing that AirNav Systems position will not change, why don't you spend the rest of your time there posting your opinion week after week after week (or daily if you prefer)?

I'm sure you will have a lot of success but then, you will be in contradiction again as you will just contribute to the pockets of SBS/ML&S/Kinetic who support that forum in the background.

In simple words, respect our forum users as no one is interested in these kind of debates that will drive nowhere.

In the meanwhile we assure you that unlike other companies, development and work continues at AirNav for the benefit of all.

Calm down Airnav !

I've only stated my humble opinion on matters being discussed, nothing more, nothing less. Am I not permitted to state my opinion ?  Nonetheless, apologies to anyone that I have unintentionally offended in anyway.

I'm not entirely sure why you feel it necessary to inform me about other forums. They really are of no interest to me whatsoever. As a customer of yours I am surprised that my opinions appear to be demonised.

I fully appreciate that the default sharing matter will not change and that is of course your decision. However, am I not entitled to oppose it and as such state that accordingly ? I don't appreciate your implication that I am not showing respect to other users simply as I have a different opinion to a particluar user and/or yourself. On the contrary I seem to have been on the receiving end of disrespectful comments from other users, and I don't see you giving public tellings off to them !

Finally - your reprimand seems to follow my post when I said I installed my sw in c:/Airnav and it doesn't appear to save data until shutdown. If that upset you then I'm sorry for stating my observations. I was only trying to help others by stating my own experiences of your great product.

Many thanks for your continued support and development work - now lets get back on track to the original point of this thread by andrewarles. Thanks.

Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 12:12:37 AM »
>I don't appreciate your implication that I am not showing respect to other users simply as I have a different opinion to a particluar user and/or yourself.

The problem is that you repeat over and over again the same issue which annoys all other users.

We do appreciate your new signature "Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.".

And yes, we agree! :-) LOLOL

eggplant

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 12:41:17 AM »
Thanks Airnav. I Love you !!

Seriously - sorry if I get on my soap box too much. xxx
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
andrewarles, what operating system are you running?  If Vista or Win7, and you installed in the default location (C:\Program Files....), then the databases will be in the Virtual Store.  That may be causing the problems, so you're better to install outside of the Virtual Store.  Try installing in C:\Airnav instead, and see if that solves your problems.

Secondly, what File System are you using?  Is it NTFS?

In my experience, database updates get commited to the .db3 databases every few seconds.  The .db3-journal files always remain small (<40k).  So, check you .db3-journal files in the Virtual Store.  If they continue to increase in size, then you have a file system problem.

For a description of how SQLite implements database commits, see http://www.sqlite.org/atomiccommit.html
http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:24:59 AM by tarbat »

andrewarles

• Database Updaters
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2010, 08:31:34 AM »
Thanks tarbat

Where is the Virtual Store?

Andrew
Arles, France.

andrewarles

• Database Updaters
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2010, 08:48:52 AM »
tarbat

Also noted that the date of your MyLog.db3 is correct.

My file is still dated 09/08/2008 ?

In fact there are no files in the data folder from this year.

Doesn't 17ko seem pretty small for 7000 records?

Andrew

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:51:37 AM by andrewarles »
Arles, France.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2010, 08:49:40 AM »
Where is the Virtual Store?

C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\
where xxxxxxxx is you Windows Vista account name.

But I would strongly recommend that you don't install Radarbox in C:\Program Files.  The Virtual Store will give you no end of problems.  I've lost count of the times that I've recommended that Airnav change their installation routine :(

My file is still dated 09/08/2008 ?  In fact there are no files in the data folder from this year.

Because they're in the Virtual Store.  Blame Microsoft.......  They implemented the Virtual Store as a security measure in Vista, and caused no end of problems for programs not designed to run in Vista (such as Radarbox).  Hopefully the next version of Radabox will be designed to work properly in Vista and Win7.  In the meantime, install Radarbox in C:\Airnav
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:53:41 AM by tarbat »

andrewarles

• Database Updaters
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 08:55:01 AM »
OK, found them.

So why are there copies of the db3 files in different locations
Arles, France.

andrewarles

• Database Updaters
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 09:02:31 AM »
Ok, when I quit and before de-installing RB, which files should I back up.  I suppose the ones in the virtual store and not the ones in the Program Files/AirNav folder.

Although I previously backed up the db3 in Program Files/AirNav folder and it appeared to be the latest data.

Andrew
Arles, France.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 09:06:47 AM »
eggplant: like we've told many times in the past, there is a proper forum for mode-s receivers which was created with the support of our competitors where a group of people spend their days reporting false facts and misconceptions about RadarBox with hidden commercial intentions.

AirNav,

If you are referring to Radarspotters, I can tell you that they are not supported in any way by your competitors. I'm sure that you know it too, Andre does!

I was a founder member of that forum, (though I have nothing to do with the running of it now) and I can tell your newer members that it was set up simply to give a voice to those ANRB owners who were threatened with being banned or actually banned from this forum for stating the same complaints that ANRB owners are still voicing today.

These days you don't ban complainants very often (you prefer to give perks such as free network to some of the brown-noses) but you refuse to accept that ANRB software has a multitude of bugs such as loss of MyLog data.

Radarspotters is not the only forum where you have a bad name. Your attitude is being discussed on several forums for aircraft enthusiasts and even one for radio hams.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2010, 09:12:28 AM »
So why are there copies of the db3 files in different locations

THe Virtual Store has been discussed many times on this forum - try a Google search using:
"virtual store" site:airnavsystems.com

viking9 and others, please keep on topic.  Nothing you're saying will help the OP with his problem.

EDIT: Andrew, I see you're running McAfee AV.   You'll need to setup a virus scanning exception for the radarbox data folder, otherwise it will check the database files for viruses everytime they're updated.  In fact, it could be that McAfee has a lock on the database files checking them for a virus when Radarbox is trying to update them, causing a deadlock.  SImilar problem on the SBS-1, see http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13144
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:04:31 AM by tarbat »

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2010, 10:22:11 AM »
Hi tarbat, looking in my computer I find in my C drive the AirNav RB file, with a "data" folder, but  the next folder is "drivers" with a "data" folder inside containing the same items. Is this just a duplicate that I don`t need, or a back up to treasure?
All help gratefully received,  Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2010, 10:51:14 AM »
anorak, that doesn't look right.  AFAIK, there shouldn't be a "data" folder inside the "drivers" folder.

EK01

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2010, 12:00:11 PM »
anorak, that doesn't look right.  AFAIK, there shouldn't be a "data" folder inside the "drivers" folder.

Anorak,
I agree with tarbat. All I have in my 'drivers' folder are 2 64bit drivers files. Have to admit not sure why they are there as I have a 32bit PC. The 'data' folder is completely separate and contains numerous DAT/BAK and DB3 files.
Can you not just 'drag and drop' your data folder from your drivers folder so that it is now in its own separate location and see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 12:37:09 PM by EK01 »