anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: remote access / remote desktop  (Read 3265 times)

typist

remote access / remote desktop
« on: September 06, 2010, 03:54:56 PM »
I assume there are quite a few who have a permanent radarbox installation, and sometimes need to access radarbox remotely and interactively.

I've used various remote desktop and remote access products, but imho none of them are as fast and need as little bandwidth as ericom blaze here http://www.ericom.com/ericom_blaze.asp

(I'm not affiliated with this company in any way). I'm currently in a remote place in malaysia, accessing my pc in vietnam where I run radarbox. latency is more than 300ms, with a lot of jitter and dropped packets, and end-to-end throughput is horrible (less 2-3 KB/s - see screenshot, the lower one is the connection I use to work remotely).

yet...when radarbox is set to 1000ms screen update, flights are moving over my remote screen just as they would on site, and I can use radarbox interactively with barely noticeable delays.

beats every other remote desktop application I've used. a single seat licence is roughly 60$.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: remote access / remote desktop
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 04:03:03 PM »
Sounds interesting, and a pretty good price for a regular user.

I occasionally use the free version of LogMeIn, it works fine with the map and gids, but the RadarBox menus usually freeze up if you try using them - other users have reported this too.

Rod
Rod

typist

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 05:24:29 PM »
I've also used logmein, but for me, blaze was a lot faster (and uses much less bandwidth). they have a 30 day trial - just give it a try :)

blaze is probably more targeted towards enterprise customers, it's not really a retail product, so it's not just a one click install like logmein, you will need to 1) set up port forwarding for one port on your modem/router/firewall, and 2) if you have a dynamic ip address you will need to keep track of it, but the extra 3 minutes spent on setting up blaze was well worth it for me.

TelaRadar

• Site TelaRadar
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 05:37:52 PM »
I thing that the best way to access the RB remotely and fully interactively is a virtual USB like the UBox, for e.g.

My RB has been working 24 hours a day for about 6 months without no problems at all. Look at this: www.telaradar.com.br

Alex Mattos,
Site TelaRadar
Brazil

typist

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:06:47 PM »
I agree, I also use one of those, they can work very well. Do you use this setup over the public internet?

I'm afraid this wouldn't work for me here with the type of connection I have right now. Anyway, I'd rather have radarbox running permanently on my home pc, and just check in every now and then from my laptop in remote location anywhere in the world, without having to switch from one software installation to another (where you potentially need to sync multiple databases).

The problem with usb is that it was never really meant for distances longer than 5m. with repeaters, you can get 10-15m on usb cable (2-3 chained 5m cables each with a repeater at the end). if you use cat5 or cat6 for the usb data, you can get up to 100m. with a "intelligent" server appliance, like ubox, in between, to mediate, you can go a lot further in most cases. but it's still tricky, and not always reliable, depending on the connection. after the initial handshake to unlock radarbox, a (hex?) challenge-response, the sw and hw are constantly exchanging ping-pongs, kind of a heartbeat check. unless you stay within usb timeout limits - and they are very low, you will have intermittent loss of connection. also, bandwidth can be an issue over the public internet.

there are a lot of software solutions for redirecting raw usb data over a network, suns's virtualbox (virtulization sw) offers this funtionality for free, others charge 30-200$, then there are hw appliances like ubox, priced 50-500$. if you have a connection you manage yourself entirely, from end to end, with a permanent radarbox on one end, and a permamenet computer at the other end, it's worth considering just redirecting the usb output. Of course this gives a superior experience at the local end because the sw is running where you are. But for anything else, I think remote desktop is more reliable.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:24:19 PM by typist »

ENKB

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »
I am using VNC viewer to access my computer running radar box, works great from other computers and cellular phone.

typist

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:17:21 AM »
yep, I really think over the public internet the only thing which works reliably is remote desktop. unless someone has other experiences?

at home, I've still attached my radarbox to the LAN usind a 50$ usb-over-ethernet server appliance. the "winstar m4" works well with radarbox for me. http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=winstar%20m4%20networking%20usb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

that way I can keep the radarbox close to the antenna, without moving my computer to the attic...(still working on the mast though :)