AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Renaissance, Heathrow  (Read 14225 times)

EK01

Re: Renaissance, Heathrow
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 05:53:10 PM »
Rod,

Good to have you back and catching up on the logos. It must be a relief to be back from a lousy weekend at the Renaissance. You didn't mention if you had done the dutiful thing and treated your long-suffering wife to the spa!
On the Club floor you will probably have noticed to executive rooms. Bit late now but forgot to mention that at check-in you can 'chance your arm' and ask if they are vacant and at the same price as the standard rooms. Basically, they are 2 standard rooms together, one is your sleeping area and the other is converted into a lounge area with extra TV. Allows for less chance of disturbing a sleeping wife. We managed to obtain one one year but haven't been lucky again. Still you can always try next time.

Ian

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 07:24:15 PM »
And there will be a next time!

Thanks for that advice, Ian - I'll give it a go, though we did manage very well with the one room.

BTW, I'll be putting some of the 980 photos I took on my website siometime in the future - I still haven't got round to doing the pics from my recent US holiday there yet.

Rod
Rod

johnboy

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 04:56:14 PM »
Sounds like a good weekend,fancying it myself. How to you get the diff. colours on the airport
outlines? have tried it on mine,setting diff. colours for runways etc., but they just show the colour selected for airport outline.
Regards
John.

RodBearden

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »
Hi John

If you've got the outlines provided with RadarBox, and/or the ones in the Outlines thread, yoiu can't change colours of individial elements. To do that you need the high-resolution outlines that are available here: http://sbs-resources.com/downloads/index.html - they come with the colours already defined as in my screenshot.

Download the full program from that link and install it, but you don't need to run the installed program - just use Windows Explorer to copy the airport outlines that you want to the RadarBox Outlines folder. Remember to delete the existing outlines for those airports or you will end up with a rather messy double-outline.

If you need more help, PM me.

Rod
Rod

Southwest

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »
Also have a look in YouTube.  There are a few explanational videos on there, can't remember if your question is covered but well worth a look.

johnboy

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »
Hi John

If you've got the outlines provided with RadarBox, and/or the ones in the Outlines thread, yoiu can't change colours of individial elements. To do that you need the high-resolution outlines that are available here: http://sbs-resources.com/downloads/index.html - they come with the colours already defined as in my screenshot.

Download the full program from that link and install it, but you don't need to run the installed program - just use Windows Explorer to copy the airport outlines that you want to the RadarBox Outlines folder. Remember to delete the existing outlines for those airports or you will end up with a rather messy double-outline.

If you need more help, PM me.

Rod
Cheers Rod, will try that,just got back from a day at Manchester.

RodBearden

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 01:12:58 AM »
In case anyone's interested, I've now put a selection of photos from the Renaissance on my website, along with Oshkosh and other US photos, and Frankfurt. This is what happens when I do get out more!

Click the link to my website on the left, or click here: www.rodbearden.net

Rod
Rod

EK01

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 02:07:30 PM »
Rod,

Just had a look at the LHR photos. Excellent. Just as a matter of interest what camera and settings were you using ?

Ian

RodBearden

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »
Thanks, Ian.

I used my trusty old Nikon D70 with a standard (non-VR) 70-300 zoom, which equates to a 105-450 zoom.

The only things I did differently from normal were that I kept the lens hood on to try to reduce reflections off the window to a minimum, and used an exposure compensation of -0.3  to try to reduce the burn-out round the edges of the aircraft as I was shooting against the sun.

Rod
Rod

EK01

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 10:35:26 AM »
Thanks Rod. Always interesting to know these things.

Ian

Paulc

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 03:44:51 PM »
Rod,

great Oshkosh pics - brings back some memories as I was also there. Were you part of a group or independant?

RodBearden

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »
Thanks, Paul - we went independently, but bumped into one of the the Ian Allan tours in the motel.

Unfortunately (!) I went with the wife, so Oshkosh was the only proper aviation time I was allowed - had to do other stuff like Yellowstone and Grand Canyon as well, but you might have seen in the US Tour bit that all that wasn't totally without aviation interest!

Rod
Rod

Paulc

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 09:33:13 PM »
Rod,

if you stayed at the motel in Appleton then that is where I was staying during the show week. I had already been staying with friends in another part of Wisconsin the previous week and had a hire car for that. It was great not being tied to a bus timetable + allowed visits to Appleton etc as the Oshkosh airport itself was a little damp at the start of the week. (12 inches of rain in 2 days the previous week)

RodBearden

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 10:29:48 PM »
Yes, we were at the Days Inn at Appleton - I went to Oshkosh, spent the first Sunday in the Museum and around Pioneer Airport, and then went to the first three days of the show itself.  The wife came to AirVenture on two days and spent the other two in Appleton.

We thought Days Inn was wonderful - really handy for the EAA shuttle bus and a good range of local restaurants, and the staff were really helpful, despite (or because of) thinking that we were Australian! (We did book via an Aussie website.)

Rod
Rod

EK01

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 12:03:57 PM »
Rod,

Just as well you aren't on the spotters break at the Renaissance Heathrow this weekend. Not much too see really apart from the same aircraft 3 days in a row !

Ian