AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Updating NavData.db3 database.  (Read 15045 times)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Updating NavData.db3 database.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 07:46:17 PM »
We are hoping to have this done via the new RadarBox software so it updates older records and have a better infrastructure that way.

We are hesitant at the moment to provide a full navdata file of the database. Mainly because we don't want the data passed around and used by other applications or competitors. We do like it come via the network connection and per aircraft basis. (The same reason why in each RadarBox update we have no updated the navdata or produced a a download of all the online database)

We are however considering a quick utility to clean the navdata tables so new data will be pumped through which won't clean any MyLog data.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 07:59:47 PM »
I guess a small downloadable utility that lets the end-user delete any records for the 43,000 updated records would be a quick and easy way of forcing a refresh of the data.

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 08:25:35 PM »
We are hoping to have this done via the new RadarBox software so it updates older records and have a better infrastructure that way.

We are hesitant at the moment to provide a full navdata file of the database. Mainly because we don't want the data passed around and used by other applications or competitors. We do like it come via the network connection and per aircraft basis. (The same reason why in each RadarBox update we have no updated the navdata or produced a a download of all the online database)

We are however considering a quick utility to clean the navdata tables so new data will be pumped through which won't clean any MyLog data.

I'm somehat puzzled by this statement, as the info were using in the database is readily available to any end user of any system.

Infact it's likely that we are feeding off a lot of other peoples sterling work for other routines, in bringing a fair bit of this info into the public domain in the first place.

Many other enthusiast databases don't have an issue in the main regarding the specific info their product holds, but are more protective of the software capabilities and the uniqueness of their product.

you can't have it both ways guys - either we need a fix to how the software retrieves the info from the database, or a new navdata file to put things on a level playing field?

Rich

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 09:22:51 PM »
DaveReid at his best: always ready to tell good things about AirNav and RadarBox. :-)

We are here and will be back on this issue asap.
Basically we ask to confirm that the best solution would be to deploy a new navdata.dbr with updated flight numbers and aircraft.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 09:27:04 PM »
DaveReid at his best: always ready to tell good things about AirNav and RadarBox. :-)

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but you appear to be suggesting that brand-new RadarBoxes will continue to ship, indefinitely, with a database that's two years out-of-date and doesn't contain any of the work that the updaters have done ?

This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »
Tarbat/Updaters: basically we ask to confirm that the best solution would be to deploy a new navdata.db3 with updated flight numbers and aircraft that could be downloaded from our webpage - also new CDs will come with this data.

DaveReid: taking in account your reputation and deep knowledge of Mode-S related issues it is embarassing to see you in a continuous criticism game towards anything coming from AirNav just because your company has not been choosen to provide paid/commercial aircraft data to AirNav Systems a few months ago.

ACW367

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 10:35:14 PM »
Dev,  You have to remember photos are on local computers.  Unless users delete the photos they have in their folders for a specific aircraft, our updates for that aircraft will never populate to them.

At this time we as updaters are not advocating users to delete the photos they have in their local folders because of the ongoing photo population issue that we have reported.  The only way for users to get the information we are updating if they already have a photo of the airframe in their local folder is via a new DB3 file.

I agree with others that shipping a product to new users with a two year old file will only make competitors happy.  This thread was started by a new user who got very confused that the data that was shipped with the product was so out of date!

New users should also get new silhouette and logo files that reflect the additions and deletions that will have occured over the last two years.  I did a sort of logos last year and found over 200 of your supplied ones were for defunct airlines or Microsoft Flight Simulator virtual airlines that didn't even exist in the real world (quite a giggle in my opinion).

Don't forget Airnav it is not just routes and registrations that are out of date on the shipped DB3.  It is also ICAO aircraft type codes and airline ICAO and IATA designators.  In five years time users will be confused to open the Airlines tab on the DB3 and see Aloha airlines (Operations ceased on March 31, 2008) right there at the top of the list.  Probably around one in ten of the airlines you currently have in the Navdata have gone or rebranded.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:02:42 PM by ACW367 »

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 10:39:15 PM »
DaveReid: taking in account your reputation and deep knowledge of Mode-S related issues it is embarassing to see you in a continuous criticism game towards anything coming from AirNav just because your company has not been choosen to provide paid/commercial aircraft data to AirNav Systems a few months ago.

Stop trying to make a connection where none exists.  A well-known expression regarding shooting messengers springs to mind.

As a long-time RadarBox user and paid-up network subscriber, I am perfectly entitled to my opinion - and it's one that is clearly shared by the other contributors to this thread.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 11:04:51 PM »
ACW367: your message is copied. We will analyze it inside our company and take decisions soon. It's important to underline that the database are not static and they update themselves automatically from our central servers.

DaveReid: the problem is that you are always open to negative criticism, on this and on another well known forum. Forgive to say that this isn't the best attitude for someone, I say again, with such a know how and reputation in this area.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:09:02 PM by AirNav Development »

wojteksz

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 10:30:29 PM »
looks as i am also in need for a new navdata.db3 file
from what i read it looks that AirNav tends to sell the products but do not care about the users afterwords - or did i miss something?

where can users download the current navdata.db3 files from?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 11:06:11 PM »
wojteksz,

That is a bit of a harsh comment, the fact we have replied to you on a sunday should indicate that is not the case.

This post has little to do with your issue. If you think you need a new navdata file the best thing to do is backup your data folder and then uninstall RadarBox and install again and copy the contents of your data folder back except the navdata files.

We also suggest you try RadarBox on another machine to confirm its not just a machine/user setup issue.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]