anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: continuous rotation high gain antenna  (Read 18297 times)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: continuous rotation high gain antenna
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 08:00:22 AM »
Tks. The addition of the origin airport will be something very interesting. When do you plan to implement it? Also where is the search page you mention?

I think we're at cross-purposes here, I thought you were referring to departures from EGLL.  Heathrow is the only airport close enough for me to be able to pick up aircraft taking off with my own box.

Having said that, I do have a routine that detects takeoffs and landings at nearly 100 of the world's major airports, using data from the PlanePlotter network (with their permission).  For obvious reasons I can't host that data on my own website.

Also and browsing other files on the same folder, which applications are these?
http://www.civilaircraftregisters.org/Mode_S_Resources/AirNav%20NavData%20Update%201.jpg
http://www.civilaircraftregisters.org/Mode_S_Resources/AirNav%20NavData%20Update%202.jpg

Have you developed some addons for RadarBox? Would it be possible to share them with other users?

See www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4562.msg45833#msg45833
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 11:16:17 AM »
Tks Dave. 3 questions:
1- When do you plan to add the origin airport to the arrivals page and destination airport to the departures page?
2- Whay is the URL for the EGLL departures page?
3- how do you on your script know that a plane without GPS (with a position shift) is landing on 27L or 27R?

Tks.

DaveReid

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 12:38:49 PM »
So many questions !  I thought you had developed your own solution for all this stuff :-)  Still, as you asked nicely ...

1- When do you plan to add the origin airport to the arrivals page and destination airport to the departures page?

To be honest, it's not a priority  I could do it any time, as the database already has the LHR flight schedules, but in all the feedback I get regarding the website, nobody has ever asked for it before.

2- What is the URL for the EGLL departures page?

If you visit the search page at http://www.civilaircraftregisters.org/Mode_S_Resources/LogReport/EGLLADSBsearch.asp you will be able to view both arrivals and departures.

3- how do you on your script know that a plane without GPS (with a position shift) is landing on 27L or 27R?

That's something you will have to work out for yourselves :-)  In fact, there is no single solution to this, but there are several things you can usefully do.  One is to monitor what runway is being used by other landing and departing traffic, which often will tell you the runway that must have been used.  Another strategy, which works if an arriving aircraft is held at any of the 4 stacks, is to work out the position offset by detecting the start of the outbound turn (i.e. overhead the VOR).
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 02:22:09 AM »
Tks for your reply.

1- It is strange as it would be a very interesting addition. We understand that you aren't too much interested in it maybe because of technical reasons but if you want we help you with our own flight number database experience.

2- Tks. Is there a departure only page (like the arrivals page)?

3- "One is to monitor what runway is being used by other landing and departing traffic, which often will tell you the runway that must have been used."

Wouldn't work as sometimes the T/O runway could be used for landings, as an expcetion due to traffic.

"Another strategy, which works if an arriving aircraft is held at any of the 4 stacks, is to work out the position offset by detecting the start of the outbound turn (i.e. overhead the VOR)."

Couldn't work too as flight could be vectored without flying over the VOR...

DaveReid

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 06:39:21 AM »
1- It is strange as it would be a very interesting addition. We understand that you aren't too much interested in it maybe because of technical reasons but if you want we help you with our own flight number database experience.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't need any help with flight routings :-)

2- Tks. Is there a departure only page (like the arrivals page)?

Not at present.  

The database certainly does log departures in real time - in fact it's currently configured to send selected users an SMS/text message as soon as an interesting aircraft gets airborne.  But the main flights table (which currently has just under 8.9 million records) has a default index on last transmission time, which is great for getting arrivals in order but not so good for sequencing departures.  One day I'll get around to adding the required extra index.

3- "One is to monitor what runway is being used by other landing and departing traffic, which often will tell you the runway that must have been used."

Wouldn't work as sometimes the T/O runway could be used for landings, as an exception due to traffic.

Now you really should know better than to tell me what does and doesn't work :-)

I'm well aware of how TEAM (Tactically Enhanced Arrivals Mode) works at Heathrow, where the designated departure runway is sometimes used for arrivals.  But:

a)  this only happens at certain, strictly limited times of day (full "mixed-mode" is prohibited at Heathrow)

b) an aircraft won't be landing on the same runway as another is taking off from at the same time :-)

c) landings on the two runways are never simultaneous, for separation reasons - they are always staggered

"Another strategy, which works if an arriving aircraft is held at any of the 4 stacks, is to work out the position offset by detecting the start of the outbound turn (i.e. overhead the VOR)."

Couldn't work too as flight could be vectored without flying over the VOR...

There you go again :-)  I didn't say it works for all flights, only those that actually fly the holding pattern.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:41:05 AM by DaveReid »

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 12:52:24 PM »
>Thanks for the offer, but I don't need any help with flight routings :-)

Are you going to implement them or not? When?

DaveReid

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »
Are you going to implement them or not? When?

I don't understand why you keep asking me the same question.

The feedback I get from users of the EGLL website suggests that they couldn't care less about where a flight has come from or is going to, so adding this data isn't a high priority.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 11:06:54 PM »
>that they couldn't care less about where a flight has come from or is going to

I know many users of your site that have exactly the opposite opinion. I really think it could be very interesting and if you need our know-how we are here to help you.

DaveReid

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 07:20:26 AM »
I know many users of your site that have exactly the opposite opinion. I really think it could be very interesting and if you need our know-how we are here to help you.

Correction, you know nothing about the users of my website.

But as you are so insistent in wanting to help me, it would be churlish of me to refuse :-)

What routing do you have in your database for AIC188, please ?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 08:01:24 AM »
What routing do you have in your database for AIC188, please ?

Why do you need to ask?  You know full well that you can answer that question yourself using:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/cgi-bin/ANLV_SV/ANLV_SV_user.exe?usgetorgdst=0&usemail=PGANRBxxxxxx&usversion=ANRB301&fnumber=AIC188
AIC188,CYYZ,EGLL,VIDP,

And what has any of this got to do with a continuous rotation high gain antenna?  Can we keep on topic.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:05:25 AM by tarbat »

DaveReid

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 08:25:44 AM »
And what has any of this got to do with a continuous rotation high gain antenna?  Can we keep on topic.

Hey, don't blame me for the thread drift, I didn't start it !

www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5356.msg53821#msg53821

And if AirNav want to start a new thread for their repeated offers to help me, that's entirely up to them :-)

I'm simply trying to establish if their offer is of any value, so I'd suggest we let them answer, besides they may not agree with your routing (I don't).

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »
Let's keep on topic and Dave, you're the best! :-)

DaveReid

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 06:45:29 AM »
Let's keep on topic

I guess that means you're not going to answer my question, then ?

Your offer of help didn't last long ... :-)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 08:21:22 AM »
Lets keep that to PMs please. So we can keep the thread on the antenna topic.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

73TORANA!

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 06:57:05 AM »
Quote from first topic post "Good coax rotary joints are expensive, so I would just mount the entire radarbox and a netbook on the ceiling fan contraption"

would this void the warranty??? :)

Ground base VOR station use a rotating type system but instead of rotating the antenna they have a series of antennas mounted in a circle and rotate it eletricaly I.E Via high speed swicthing.

I agree with a previous post , to get any decent gain advantage its beam width would be too narrow. just go higher with what you got if you can.
My nabors would have a major hissy if i put something like that up , whering away all night.