anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Improved Routing Information  (Read 228123 times)

BlinkNFG

Improved Routing Information
« on: August 15, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Hi,

I've managed to increase the number of flights with routing information greatly by mass improrting info by libhomeradar.  Now even the majority of Ryanair and Easyjet flights have route info. 

Perhaps AirNav could look into a data exchange program with them?

Jon

Follow up: A kind member of the Stansted Airport yahoo group sent me an entire list of Ryanair callsigns and route info.  I also use the Heathrow callsigns list given by Knight01 here http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0   

I now tend to just lack Thomas Cook (Libhomeradar doesn't have them all) and Flybe (for the flights I pick up in East Anglia)

Here is a pic showing what can be achieved with a little time and effort.  It just makes it a bit frustrating and mystifying AirNav's suppliers can't provide this sort of info.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:49:17 PM by BlinkNFG »

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: Improved Routing Information
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:54:31 PM »
It just makes it a bit frustrating and mystifying AirNav's suppliers can't provide this sort of info.

There are industry sources of flight route data, just as there are commercial sources of aircraft data.  If AirNav chooses not to use them, that's entirely up to them.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:49:08 AM »
Dave, one more time please don't use this forum with hidden commercial objectives.

DaveReid

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:58:46 AM »
Dave, one more time please don't use this forum with hidden commercial objectives.

On the contrary, simple statement of fact.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

As for commercial objectives, the route data that I provide is free, always has been :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:11:12 AM »
As for commercial objectives, the route data that I provide is free, always has been :-)

And is as incomplete as many other sources of route data :(

Has anyone found a source of route data for Loganair/Flybe?

air7677

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:24:26 AM »
Here we go again.

flybhx

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »
Blink,

did you have to search one by one or is there a way of getting the data in a useful form for import?

DaveReid

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 01:07:45 PM »
Here is a pic showing what can be achieved with a little time and effort.  It just makes it a bit frustrating and mystifying AirNav's suppliers can't provide this sort of info.

You might want to update your database - G-TTIA has been G-OZBS of Monarch for a couple of years now, that's why it's operating a MON flight.

BlinkNFG

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 02:24:17 PM »
Thanks - I'll make that change.

My database is hopelessly out of date.  I do ocassionally update it with the info you and others posted on here (but don't do it not nearly enough to keep it up to date)

I'm hoping the awaited database update the volunteers are working on will fix a lot of my out of date info

Jon

BlinkNFG

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 02:30:22 PM »
Blink,

did you have to search one by one or is there a way of getting the data in a useful form for import?

No I do it by airline.  I use the database search function of libhomeradar to search for all flights by a particular airline (e.g for Easyjet I searched for all callsigns starting with EZY) taking care to take off the just last 24 hours filter.  I then cut and paste the results into Excel (I try and get a whole week to cover all flights)

I then manipulate the data in Excel to get it into the correct format to import.  I remove duplicates and flights with no route info.  I then split the route info into 2 columns for origin and destination and use LOOKUP formulae to convert the IATA digit airport codes e.g STN into ICAO codes e.g EGSS.  I save as a CSV and then globally import into NavData.  Whole process doesn't take too long (as Excel can be made to do most of the work for you).

Jon 

RobinB

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 05:34:01 PM »
I thought perhaps incorrectly that the route data is downloaded from the net by airnav software as planes appeared in network.

Is this correct ?

Since installed software I have not done any updates.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:36:23 PM by RobinB »

BlinkNFG

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 10:19:52 PM »
It is (if you have that option ticked as I do) but a lot of flights have no routing information populated this way  - mainly alpha numeric callsigns.  AirNav gets its route info from a company called FlightStats but they tend to not have the alphanumeric route info so nothing is downloaded automatically for these flights.  I think it is something AirNav is still investigating ...   

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5190.0

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 12:34:26 AM »
Is there any way of alphanumeric callsign origin/destination information that we can use/upload to our central databases? Where?

DaveReid

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 06:20:51 AM »
Is there any way of alphanumeric callsign origin/destination information that we can use/upload to our central databases? Where?

I take it that you didn't pursue this, then:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5038.msg50476#msg50476
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:23:10 AM by DaveReid »

BlinkNFG

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 12:49:32 PM »

I can send you what I have (and I'm sure other users would do likewise).  However it would be best it you could find a way of using the network to collect the information automatically (mentioned in the thread Dave links to)

Jon