anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gofreeserve  (Read 5284 times)

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Gofreeserve
« on: August 15, 2010, 05:33:05 PM »
This is strictly off-topic, but I know that a lot of RadarBox users, including myself, use Gofreeserve.com as their web hosts.

Norton Internet Security is currently reporting ALL Gofreeserve sites as being a security risk. This is apparently because one user's site, at runescapeDOTgofreeserveDOTcom/login.htm (edited so that you can't click it by accident) has been accused of launching phishing attacks. Because of this, Norton, and maybe other Internet security programs, are tarring all Gofreeserve accounts with the same brush.

I have already contacted Gofreeserve to ask them to urgently do something about this, but in the meantime, rest assured that my site, and I'm pretty sure, Allocator's Utilities website and those of other RadarBox users, are perfectly safe despite Norton's warning.

Rod
Rod

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Gofreeserve
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 06:26:23 PM »
Hmmm!  That's a pain!  I use AVG Free and ZoneAlarm and these don't block the Gofreeserve sites.

Just to confirm that there isn't anything nasty on the RadarBox Utilities site that I edit:

http://radarbox.gofreeserve.com/

Thanks for the heads-up Rod,

P.S. I haven't vanished off the face of the earth, but my day job is a bit hectic at the moment!

Regards

Allocator

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 06:39:03 PM »
hello

No problems on my "site" either. I have never liked norton due to its over sensitivity. I had a trial of it on a new computer and it flagged up a few programs as bad since they were uncommon including some I had written which were obviously clean.

By the way I use avast (free) and find it picks up all the bad files and sites but doesn't give many false alerts.

Andrew

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:19:25 AM »
This isn't the first time Norton have done this.  I stopped using Norton a while ago, now use Microsoft Security Essentials - free and effective.

bratters

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:12:26 AM »
This isn't the first time Norton have done this.  I stopped using Norton a while ago, now use Microsoft Security Essentials - free and effective.

Slightly OT but I'm interested in your comment about MSE Tarbat

I've just bought a refurb. laptop which has MSE loaded but haven't encountered it before. I normally use AVG and Windows Defender and I was thinking of putting AVG on the new laptop.
AVG though is not too keen on competing systems so I was going to ditch MSE. However if it works well I'll leave things be. I take it you've found it reliable?

(Got to agree with you about Norton - I got in a right mess with it and ditched it long ago)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:22:08 AM »
I've found MSE very reliable and stable.  Excellent detection rate, no false positives.  Very easy to setup an exclusion for Airnav products, I would recommend it for anyone wanting FREE AV protection.

I participated in the original beta test program, and in fact I'm currently running the v2. beta.

Worth a read - http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »
On checking again this morning, it appears that Norton has given Gofreeserve the All Clear now. Let's hope it didn't put too many people permanently off our sites!

Rod
Rod